Kuiu/ scarpa R-evolution trek

I currently run the Kailash from scarpa. Anybody have any insight on this new boot? Possibly less rigid than the charmoz pro

Attachments

• ScarpaR-EvolutionTrek_GG_FR_1425x1825.jpg
    ScarpaR-EvolutionTrek_GG_FR_1425x1825.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 151

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I currently run the Kailash from scarpa. Anybody have any insight on this new boot? Possibly less rigid than the charmoz pro

Looks like the Charmoz pro less the 3/4 stiffener plate. So yes, less stiff I would think. The boot has a euro version that's been out for longer, but the Kuiu one seems to have way more synthetic. Looks like it's targeted at lower 48 guys chasing elk, deer that don't want a 3-season mountaineering boot.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
The Scarpa NA website has these now, which are marketed as about the same thing. The midsole construction is the same as the Charmoz according to their specs, but these are marketed between a mountain boot and approach shoe. I'm still running the Trango Trk GTX's from La Sportiva, but both of these boot options seem more like what I was looking for, with a little more robust construction/structure.

: SCARPA North America

i bought a pair of the kuiu versions r evolution trk gtx's to check out. will arrive tomarrow, curious how they are compared to the la sportivas trango cube gtx as well as a few others in the quiver...... looked interesting. crispi had a few new offerings as well that looked intriguing.

Last edited:

Benjblt

WKR
i bought a pair of the kuiu versions r evolution trk gtx's to check out. will arrive tomarrow, curious how they are compared to the la sportivas trango cube gtx as well as a few others in the quiver...... looked interesting. crispi had a few new offerings as well that looked intriguing.
How are these working out?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

How are these working out?

only have worn in the house. have not decided if im keeping or not yet, more so due to already having many boots. i will say i kept them to think about and sent back right away the crispi thor, they were way too soft and the design in general was not what i was looking for be it the terrain intended for. the scarpa are as jason states in his video and or literature. they flex as a boot should for lower angles yet will do the job in the alpine. if i keep them i know i will like them if i dont i wont miss them. i am a big fan of the salomon x alp mtn gtx and own 3 pairs of them.

only have worn in the house. have not decided if im keeping or not yet, more so due to already having many boots. i will say i kept them to think about and sent back right away the crispi thor, they were way too soft and the design in general was not what i was looking for be it the terrain intended for. the scarpa are as jason states in his video and or literature. they flex as a boot should for lower angles yet will do the job in the alpine. if i keep them i know i will like them if i dont i wont miss them. i am a big fan of the salomon x alp mtn gtx and own 3 pairs of them.

How have the x-alp mtn been as far as waterproof for you? I had a pair that leaked immediately as if there was no liner at all. I got them replaced and wasn't sure about giving them another shot. Otherwise they work great!

Benjblt

WKR

Just a heads up. I saw a post on Facebook regarding this boot (I"m only 75% sure it was this boot) and the guy showed a picture of the rand separating from the boot after only a day of wearing it around his property.

idig4au

WKR
Just a heads up. I saw a post on Facebook regarding this boot (I"m only 75% sure it was this boot) and the guy showed a picture of the rand separating from the boot after only a day of wearing it around his property.

I put facebook information on par with whats on CNN!

Scarpa are top quality boots even though they don't fit my narrow heel. I would imagine if this happened, it wouldn't be the norm and they would correct immediately.

Benjblt

WKR
I put facebook information on par with whats on CNN!

Scarpa are top quality boots even though they don't fit my narrow heel. I would imagine if this happened, it wouldn't be the norm and they would correct immediately.
Could be. This seemed to be from a credible person but I can be over trusting.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Could be. This seemed to be from a credible person but I can be over trusting.

I think the main point, which I was going to make as well after reading what sounded like a "warning" against buying the boot, is they are Scarpa. I'd have a high degree of confidence a defect like that is a bit of an anomaly and Scarpa would back their product. So I wouldn't judge the boot based on one failure, no matter the credibility of the source.

I see Kuiu put a 3rd option out there yesterday. Love them or hate them, it's nice they are bringing boots to the US market we otherwise wouldn't see.

How have the x-alp mtn been as far as waterproof for you? I had a pair that leaked immediately as if there was no liner at all. I got them replaced and wasn't sure about giving them another shot. Otherwise they work great!

they have been similar as other boots as far as the liner. maybe 100 miles on the first pair and dampness would occur so application of a product to assist with that, i maintain all my boots well, clean them, wash etc....the second has 150 miles on them and still good to go. the third is new in box. like all other boots there are lemons...... i have had leaky boots from many makers it happens. at times it has taken 3 pairs of a boot to obtain a set built correct, no leak etc.... just a part of the game unfortunately imop. good luck.

no_uh

FNG
I recently completed a successful 5-day sheep hunt in the Wrangells using this boot. Overall, I am happy with the boot. I would describe the fit as semi-narrow, flat soled, and they run a little bit large(12 or 12.5 Scarpa vs 13 Nike). It is light, the waterproofing was good, and the ankle support was adequate for me. I was well conditioned for the hunt, but more support would have been a luxury on creek bed, tussocks, and traversing after I was loaded up with 1/2 a sheep and everything else. My ankles (along with everything else) were pretty wasted after the two-day hike out.

Only downsides I've noticed are the worthless factory insoles and the boot has almost no cushion otherwise. The balls of my feet really hurt by the time I got back to my truck. Not sure whether to attribute this to the boot or my feet. As mentioned, the sole is flat and does not provide any arch support, so this may be my issue. I've been experimenting with various liners (gel and superfeet green) with some success but may need something more.

Last edited:
Bumping this back up instead of making a new post. Who has some input on these . How do they compare to other mountain/backpacking boots in this price range? Do they have enough support for packing out heavy loads of meat?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Riplip

WKR
Just received the Kuiu Scarpa R Evolution. I have only had them for a few days and only worn in the house. I sized up 1/2 size because they are a pretty narrow boot in the toe box especially with super feet orange insert First impressions: Likes = good quality materials overall, good stiffness to weight ratio, plenty of stiffness overall but good flexibility in the ankle, I like the tongue design. Dislikes = poor lacing system, especially the first set of hooks which are really hard to keep in place, wish they would go to a slide lock hook like certain Lowa's. Laces are very thin which I am not a fan of. Crappy insole, with pretty hard sole, I definitely need the super feet. I will update more if I decide to keep them and put some miles on them.