Kuiu, Sitka, First Lite, Core 4, Kryptek...what say you?

JPhelps

Lil-Rokslider
I wear Kryptek. I used the Alaios Pants, Alaios Shirt and Cadog Shield Jacket. They worked great and have a lot of features. The pants are a very athletic cut though.

Straight up Sitka horror here!!! Tried the Kuiu Icon pack and was very unhappy with load squeking noise from the hip belt, but great customer service which is a big deal!!!

barcher

FNG
Giving KUIU attack pants a try - they are on their way to me right now. I like the Cabelas microtex material, but cant' stand the fit - the crotch is too long. If the attack is what people say, I'm sure I'll add the guide jacket.

I'm looking at picking up the kuiu guide jacket and spindrift for my uppers layers. I'm a little concerned with it's watershedding ability. I hunt the high hunt in Washington so rain is well always a possibility. If I got this jacket would I need to get a rain jacket as well? If so are there other jackets that would fit my needs better? Looking for lightweight but able to use in the rain and provide some warmth to cut down on the amount of clothing I'll be taking. Thanks

hodgeman

WKR
I bought in heavy to Kuiu last year...like most of it pretty well. The pack was a disappointment that I've moved on down the road.

My big beef is that Kuiu has perpetual supply chain issues and stuff you order today might be here next week, next month or next year. I hunted my stuff hard last year and most needs replaced to some degree. I'd like to replace it with Kuiu but I won't wait 6 mos. for a pair of pants or a jacket- they're good...just not that good. Kryptek looks interesting and Sitka is available off the rack.

I also had great results from Sporthill.

I'm looking at picking up the kuiu guide jacket and spindrift for my uppers layers. I'm a little concerned with it's watershedding ability. I hunt the high hunt in Washington so rain is well always a possibility. If I got this jacket would I need to get a rain jacket as well? If so are there other jackets that would fit my needs better? Looking for lightweight but able to use in the rain and provide some warmth to cut down on the amount of clothing I'll be taking. Thanks

forgo the guide jacket, and just get the chugach with the spindrift. You'll have a full outer layer hardshell, and when it gets cold you can throw the spindrift on under it.

J-Daddy

WKR
I'm gonna be picking up some of the First Lite stuff in ASAT this year...I probably won't be doing any western hunts this year but I'm still gonna buy some of it to whitetail hunt with here in the midwest. I know Rokslide is all western hunting for the most part and that First Lite is a western company, but I'd love to see them come out with a couple things geared more towards whitetail hunting. Atleast a heavier jacket & some insulated bibs, it gets chilly in Iowa sometimes during November.
I wish more companies would offer stuff in ASAT, it's alot like Predator camo, hard to find stuff that doesn't look like it was made in 1970 in those patterns.

Kryptek guy, here. Any pant I get in the future will have knee pads. Who would've thought a thin piece of foam would be so useful. Just being able to kneel on sharp rocks for an extended period is a huge deal to me.

dotman

WKR
I like the Kuiu wool base layer, and I have a variety of tops / shirts / vests etc, Kuiu, First Light, core 4 etc.. . I also have the Kuiu spindrift jacket liner that I love for tossing in the pack.

I am struggling with where to spend my $$$ on the pants. I'll admit I am cheap, so dropping more than $100 on a pair of pants is tough. I am also notoriously hard on my clothing, I rip out seams, break buttons, bust zippers and all kinds of stuff. I want 1 pair that are great for early season, that are quiet, that are tough, lightweight, waterproof?? at least water repellent, and a decent camo ( heck I could probable get by without the camo), and are not going to cost me more than a car payment.

I'll be looking to see what others like, I know this crowd will give its unbiased opinions.

A great pant for under $100 is the cabelas microtex, these things are awesome and you can get them in outfitter camo. Checkout this line for outter gear, it is cheap but really good.

BH Hunter

FNG
Core 4, Kuiu and first lite merino all about the same. My Favorite piece is the spindrift by far. Love it.. Really really like my kenetreks, had four sets of meindle's and like them. All much better for me than my Hanwags.

Have First Lite Max-1 pants, vest, shirts, beanie and am very pleased with First Lite gear. They worked well when the weather was 30 degrees in the a.m. and then in the 70s later that day. The pants are the best that I've tried so far. Now just need to get a labrador for those really cold mornings. Purchased some Core4, but haven't tried it out yet.

Was wondering if the Core4 pants were anything like the KUIU pants? The Core4 pants seem like they will be noisy.

i just received my core 4 pants and my kuiu attack pants ill let you know after next weekend which ones i like better. from just unpackaging and trying them on the kuiu are more comfortable/ quiter around the house.

BH Hunter

FNG
Aron: it wasn't the quality of the Hanwags. I finally gave up on this year, I have several pairs of Meindl's and they just fit my foot. I really like the Kenetreks I got this year. I purchased the Hanwags from Lathrop and sons and they traced my foot, synergy foot bed etc... I would say they just don't fit my foot very well. Two days in a row was the most I got out of them and I hurt to bad to go any more. I would never take them if I couldn't take something else as a rescue boot. I just greased them up and stuck them in the corner. Maybe my son will like them. My kenetecs are my favorite now. I have tons of miles in the meindl's, though. It's all about fitting your foot. I would not hesitate if you want to try some but they are not for me. Mine are the alaskan model but if you have not tried the Kenetrecs, man those are sweet!

JSonn

FNG
Anybody have the First Lite Kanab pant? I heard there was some sizing or poor fit issues with a low crotch. I really like the concept of a merino wool pant, but my KUIU attack pants fit so amazing I am not sure I should be second guessing the synthetic Toray material.

Gman

WKR
Aron: it wasn't the quality of the Hanwags. I finally gave up on this year, I have several pairs of Meindl's and they just fit my foot. I really like the Kenetreks I got this year. I purchased the Hanwags from Lathrop and sons and they traced my foot, synergy foot bed etc... I would say they just don't fit my foot very well. Two days in a row was the most I got out of them and I hurt to bad to go any more. I would never take them if I couldn't take something else as a rescue boot. I just greased them up and stuck them in the corner. Maybe my son will like them. My kenetecs are my favorite now. I have tons of miles in the meindl's, though. It's all about fitting your foot. I would not hesitate if you want to try some but they are not for me. Mine are the alaskan model but if you have not tried the Kenetrecs, man those are sweet!

I agree on the big take away here. Some feet are harder to fit than others. I could write a quite a book about my search for the right boots. I finally settled on Meindl Island Pros. I don't think they're any better than any of the other boots out there. I tried Hanwag, Lowa, Zamberlan, and just about every other name brand -- at one time I had over $4K in boots sitting at my house from Zappos and other mail order options (I sent them all back, I didn't trial and error $4K in boots!) - If I had my choice I would have stopped with the Hanwags or the Lowas. Both awesome boots. They just didn't fit my feet right. So knowing what fits and alleviates problems for my feet is key. Actually knowing your feet and what fits your feet and what problems you may have with your feet is key. Some people can buy boots off the rack and be happy, others can't. I was so desperate and miserable I was one pair of Meindl's away from looking at custom boots, but glad those worked. As a side note, Lathrop and Sons actually went above and beyond and recommended a dealer in Canada who sells the Meindl Island Pro as something to consider and I pair those with the Synergy footbeds. Great customer service and I wouldn't hesitate to do business with them ever. Sorry for the hijack.