Kuiu Sizing

Bgraham75

FNG
Probably been discussed a lot. But does everything Kuiu produce run smaller than normal sizes? Looking at ordering some but don’t live any where near there store.
Thanks for the help

Fred

Lil-Rokslider
I have not noticed that, but the mid and out layers do run larger to go over. They coats are meant to be tight I guess as I have both a large and x-Iarge super down that are tight.

ScottP

WKR
Not necessarily. I’ve done fine measuring per the fit guide and reading through a bunch of reviews

OP
Bgraham75

Bgraham75

FNG
I have been reading a lot lot of reviews some say run smaller and some say true to fit. I just don’t want them to be small and have to return. I normally wear a 40 waist tall in 5.11 tactical pants and 2xl coat. Just curious on what sizes would be the best.

Kotaman

WKR
I have been reading a lot lot of reviews some say run smaller and some say true to fit. I just don’t want them to be small and have to return. I normally wear a 40 waist tall in 5.11 tactical pants and 2xl coat. Just curious on what sizes would be the best.
If you’re that size, it runs EXTREMELY small. You’ll for sure be a 3x in their jackets and a 42” in their pants.

I’m not saying your measurements won’t match their fit charts, but compared to anything else, their big sizes are tiny and you WILL need to size up.

NABG Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I’m 5’10” and weigh ~185-190 pounds. I consider myself about a large-and-a-half size. I order XL on everything from Kuiu and it all fits, and it’s not too big either. I’ve bought a number of shirts/jackets/hoodies too.

It’s all great stuff too. My favs are: 240 Peloton Hoodie, Attack and Guide Pants, Guide and Axis Hybrid Jackets and Guide Gloves. It’s all very well designed gear that just makes me smile when I put it on.

OP
Bgraham75

Bgraham75

FNG
I have really been looking at the tiburon, attack outer layers and pro merino base layers possibly peloton. Living and hunting in Texas doesn’t get to terrible cold in a tree stand. Was researching diy elk hunting though. Really like everything they have. Ordered pro bino harness few weeks ago and love it.

NABG Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
If you’re that size, it runs EXTREMELY small. You’ll for sure be a 3x in their jackets and a 42” in their pants.

I’m not saying your measurements won’t match their fit charts, but compared to anything else, their big sizes are tiny and you WILL need to size up.
I agree with Kotaman. 3X and 42” for you.

Retterath

WKR
IMO the pants are the only thing that fits amazing, Everything else sucks for sizing when it comes to tops. everything is way way to short in the arms and torso. I wish some of these ******* companies would make tops where the sleeves and torso are long enough for taller people. Sitka sucks at it too, they only make a small amount of stuff in talls.

Ramblr

FNG
Not necessarily. I’ve done fine measuring per the fit guide and reading through a bunch of reviews
👆This. Kuiu is true to their size guide but their sizes may not quite align with something else you are used to wearing.

Also, size and fit are different things. Their fit is going to be more trim than most others in my experience. I expect the real reason some people size up is just to get a little more roomier fit.

OP
Bgraham75

Bgraham75

FNG
I will more than likely try and get a couple of used items to try and see before I drop the money on new stuff.

NABG Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I think the Kuiu pants sizes run pretty true to size. But the upper clothing seem about a 1/2 size small to me. They seem like they're designed for the younger, more athletic, hunter. Or maybe I'm just old and out of shape. LOL.

6'4" 250 here. I wear Kuiu 40 pants, they're a little snug but 42 is too loose. All the pants taper down past the knee. Tiburon pants are the loosest fit and they are surprisingly durable busting brush and not pulling or picking up burrs.

I wear 3xl tops. All the tops are cut athletic. Base layers are cut slightly snug for size, mid layers a bit bigger, and jackets are even larger to fit over the other two layers. It's a strange sizing system based on very fit and athletic body types. 3xl long sleeves are either just ok or slightly too short. Their long sleeves are very snug, even the jackets, I can't pull my sleeves up past my mid forearm.

3xl merino fits fine, the long sleves are plenty long.

3xl peloton 97 was way too snug and sleeves too short.

3xl peloton 118 fits ok, a bit snug for use as a stand alone, sleeves are a little short on the half zip but ok on the regular shirt. I love these tops. They definately fit snugger than Kuiu's 3xl merino.

3xl peloton 240 fits ok but it's a very athletic fit. Sleeves are just barely long enough and waist just barely long enough. The waist is odd, it's suffitiently long in back but too short in front. Strange. I love this piece for active cool hiking, it's decently wind resistant and the DWR is excellent. The hood is a bit snug for tall people but it's ok.

3xl Kutana jacket fits perfect like a normal 2xl tall. Best fitting piece I have, it's a lot larger than the peloton 240 and easily layers over it.

Last edited:

ScottP

WKR
👆This. Kuiu is true to their size guide but their sizes may not quite align with something else you are used to wearing.

Also, size and fit are different things. Their fit is going to be more trim than most others in my experience. I expect the real reason some people size up is just to get a little more roomier fit.
This is a good point too. They have several pieces you could wear as a mid or outer layer. For example, I got a super down jacket for a gift. It's just snug enough to wear under almost all of my other jackets. If I was only using it for an outer layer, I would have probably exchanged for one size up. I find the fit of the tops is not loose in any way, which I like for archery.

OP
Bgraham75

Bgraham75

FNG
Thanks for the information DogBones. Great to get some incite from someone my size.

The frustrating thing about Kuiu is one item in size 3xl might fit you fine, but another item in 3xl is skin tight. Maybe because their items are made in a handfull of different countries? The full long sleeve might fit fine, but the 1/4 zip version doesn't. Drives me crazy. Luckily I live near the retail store and I can try things on.

Plan on ordering a size up on everything. Also plan on having to return/exchange some items.

Also try the Kutana stretch pants, they're awesome! Being in Texas I think the Guide pants may be too warm and too fragile for you. Tiburon and Kutana are great for CA heat and mild winters. I'm 250 lbs and wear a size 40 in Kuiy. They are a little snug and will fit perfect after I lose 15-20 lbs. For jeans or other pants I wear a size 38 or 40 depending on brand.

Last edited: