Kuiu storm star tent

Firebug93

FNG
Im looking for a 4 season tent for rifle WY elk hunts. I was looking at the kuiu storm star. How would this do in warmer weather in the off season backpack trips? Too warm?

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Personally, theres lots of tents I'd look at before the Kuiu ones, I'd take a long look at the stone glacier sky scraper. I also like the MSR tents. Im a hilleberg fan but if I was looking elsewhere I'd look at tstone glacier and MSR.

Im looking for a 4 season tent for rifle WY elk hunts. I was looking at the kuiu storm star. How would this do in warmer weather in the off season backpack trips? Too warm?

To your question the storm star will not be too warm as I would assume in warm weather you might opt to leave the fly off. You mentioned the hub a bubba and it also is a quality but of kit. If the price is right for you I would research and buy the one that you feel best about.

Order a catalog from hilleberg. They have sample fabric swatches. It’s insane how strong the fabric is. Not sure if kuiu would send you a swatch but compare the two. I have a feeling it won’t be close. Hilleberg is in a league of its own.

MSR Hubba Hubba is very decent two person light weight back pack tent for 3 seasons. Doubt it will take a foot of snow on it without collapsing. It vents well as the tent has a lot of mesh so condensation doesn't build up on the inner walls, just on the fly. I really like mine, but it isn't a winter tent.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Order a catalog from hilleberg. They have sample fabric swatches. It’s insane how strong the fabric is. Not sure if kuiu would send you a swatch but compare the two. I have a feeling it won’t be close. Hilleberg is in a league of its own.

Yup, I ordered the hilleberg catalog for shits and giggles thinking they were just some European boutique junk and that I could get a. Ettetntent for cheaper. After playing around with the tear samples and doing lots of research I was sold on the hilleberg stuff. I just got an Allak and now I’m on the prowl for a good deal on a soulo. Hilleberg really is where it’s at. If you shop around you can find some ways to make them cheaper, I got 20% off on 1 shot gear on my Allak, you might try active junky cash back and order from
Back country or Moose Jaw.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Also, in sheep hunting circles both in real life and on the internet ive heard the storm star referred to as the “leak star” more than once....

204guy

WKR
You need to give some more details about what you want to do. Rifle in WY is kinda vague. Solo? 2 guys? Early Oct? Late Oct? Budget? etc.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Having owned 2 Hillebergs (slept in 3 more) and one Kuiu Storm Star....I would pick the Kuiu everytime over every Hilleberg I have used. The layout just works super well for me with another person with each person having their own door and vestibule. The pole layout is very stout and it breathes WAY better than any of the red or black label Hillebergs I have been in. Way less condensation in the Kuiu.

Only reason I sold mine is we now hunt with our daughter so needed a true 3 person tent but for just two people the Kuiu Storm Star as a 4 season tent is spacious and bomber and great layout would buy again in a second....can't say the same about the hillebergs I've used.

My Allak has 2 doors and vestibules, awesome venting in the roof.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
The Allak is a pretty darn good tent when I slept in it and vented "better" than the other hillebergs I have slept in but still "wet" compared to the Kuiu. Also its smaller by a decent margin in the sleeping area with, smaller vestibules, weighs more, and costs twice as much.

Not saying the Allak is a bad tent in fact its the best Hilleberg I've used) but even if they were the same price I'd still go Kuiu after using both.

I agree it’s not that big of a tent and I’ve only spent 1 night in it so far but I like it. Tents are like any other piece of gear, you sort of need a “quiver” of them for different situations. I wanted something that I never had to second guess as far as durability or weather proof ness. I found enough stories of kuiu tents leaking and a story about a stone glacier getting ripped to shreds in heavy winds that I figured I should add a hille to the stable.

MSR makes a 2 man assault type mountaineering tent which is under 4lbs or so that looks sort of like a Bible/black diamond eldorado, I may grab one of those as sort of a solo mountain hunting tent.

At the end of the day, if I drag out the hilleberg, I won’t ever have to wonder if it’s going to get the job done. I have been in situations with other tents where I was genuinely concerned about making it through storms and even had a north face tent get ripped to shreds from the wind once.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
The Allak is a pretty darn good tent when I slept in it and vented "better" than the other hillebergs I have slept in but still "wet" compared to the Kuiu. Also its smaller by a decent margin in the sleeping area with, smaller vestibules, weighs more, and costs twice as much.

Not saying the Allak is a bad tent in fact its the best Hilleberg I've used) but even if they were the same price I'd still go Kuiu after using both.

Also just since we’re talking about it, my Allak ended up only being ~ 200 dollars more than the kuiu tent.

OP
F

Firebug93

FNG
I am kind of leaning towards that stone glacier skyscraper. I will be using it for late season (late Oct. early Nov.) in western Wy. I go out with a few buddies and will be used for 2-3 days at a time. It has to be good enough for the snow but still able to be used if the weather is warmer without cooking inside

Something to be said for the storm star having external poles too. Nice for getting setup without exposing the tent body to rain. That and the Big Sky Chinook are the two I'd look at.

OP
F

Firebug93

FNG
I guess the skyscraper is the slingfin crossbow just different colors and logo. After looking at it more I dont like tge fact that you have to use trekking poles for extra support.