Kuiu storm star tent

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Im in between the skyscraper and storm star

Id personally take a sky scraper any day over the Storm Star and I like kuiu. I just dropped some money on a Hillebrg and Ill probably still buy a skyscraper. The only thing that really interests me as much as a skyscraper is an MSR Access or that Alpine Assault tent from MSR but that dosent have a vestibule.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I'd be curious what you didn't like about the storm star when you used it compared to the Skyscraper, and MSR access tents you've used.

I've only slept in a storm star tent on one trip. I liked the lay out of it, I just dont trust them with all the reports of them leaking and poles breaking. Its just a personal bias but if I'm spending the $$$ I wouldnt probably buy a Kuiu tent. I love Kuiu clothing, I have lots of it but their packs and tents don't inspire confidence for me.

Definitely heard about the chronic leaking with first run mountain star tents. Didn’t know of any similar issues with storm stars.

OP
F

Firebug93

FNG
Id personally take a sky scraper any day over the Storm Star and I like kuiu. I just dropped some money on a Hillebrg and Ill probably still buy a skyscraper. The only thing that really interests me as much as a skyscraper is an MSR Access or that Alpine Assault tent from MSR but that dosent have a vestibule.
I was looking at the access 2 but i noticed the door didnt have a bug screen that I can use in the warmer weather. But that would be another option.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Where those reports with the storm star specifically for the early run mountain star? I read the bad reports on the mountain star when they were initially released so went into the storm star with apprehension but it exceeded all my expectations and would buy again if I could downsize to 2 person tent again.

Did the tent leak on you on your trip?

I'm not brand loyal by any means as I have Kuiu, Sitka, First Lite, and various mountain gear I mainly just use what I found works. Heck I have had some Kifaru and Stone glacier packbags rip on me...doesn't mean I am writing them off just yet ;)

It didn’t rain on the trip when we used the kuiu tent. Like is said it’s pretty much my own personal bias.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Nothing wrong with that....we all got them. :)

I mean to be fair, I probably wouldn’t buy one of their packs no matter who endorsed it, and weren’t their single person tents and some of their game bags just blatant rip offs of other companies? I guess I have a few hang ups with kuiu but I love their clothing so I keep buying it.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Maybe I can shed some light on the Kuiu Mountain Star tent that had leaking issues. It was not all of them and it was a rather small potion of them. The material itself used on the tents did not get properly coated prior to them being cut and sewn. As far as I know, there hasn’t been any issues with any of the new tents or any other tent products.

I have used the very first production Kuiu one person tent for many years now and it has stood up in the worst weather I have ever seen.

Kuiu also has a few new items in the tent type product that should be released I believe in May.

OP
F

Firebug93

FNG
I agree which is why I have a whole closet full of tents. Not one do all certainly. But my double wall hillebergs were all hot boxes in warm whether in my experience is all I am saying and that was a concern for the OP.

The Kuiu did much better with condensation AND in warm weather not baking me out of there. Just my observations after using both. Allak is a great tent but I don't feel one needs a $1K tent to get something robust atleast in my experience and yes I have shredded a tent or two as well in some serious wind and its far from the most fun I've ever had. :) Had the Kuiu in some crazy winds in Kodiak (which is to be expected) and it did extremely well is all I am saying for a tent that weighs less and has more space its another good option. Not saying Hilleberg isn't. Just sharing my good experiences with the Kuiu.

And yes you can get the Kuiu for less than $600 as well when you wait for a sale as well. :)
The condensation is what im worried about with a Nallo 2 gt

OP
F

Firebug93

FNG
Maybe I can shed some light on the Kuiu Mountain Star tent that had leaking issues. It was not all of them and it was a rather small potion of them. The material itself used on the tents did not get properly coated prior to them being cut and sewn. As far as I know, there hasn’t been any issues with any of the new tents or any other tent products.

I have used the very first production Kuiu one person tent for many years now and it has stood up in the worst weather I have ever seen.

Kuiu also has a few new items in the tent type product that should be released I believe in May.
What are they going to release? More tents?

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
There will be a new tent/shelter. Early May it should be released or in that time frame. I can’t really say much more.

AndyB

WKR
When I pick up a 4 season It will be the Kuiu storm star I think, looks solid as...and well designed

.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99D6971faOA

This review demonstrates it pretty well.

and weren’t their single person tents and some of their game bags just blatant rip offs of other companies?

It was frequently claimed that the mountainstar was a ripoff of Big Sky Revolution. If you look at both it seems pretty obvious they have a different pole setup. Maybe that wasn't always the case? The one person did look similar to another Big Sky design but I never looked at those models that close.

Take a good look at the Big Sky Chinook 2p. It’s a little bit lighter and slightly cheaper, and I’m pretty sure it’s the same design. Mine has been phenomenal.

They are different designs. Look at the pole layout on each.