Kuiu storm star tent

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
The latest tent release from Kuiu, the Summit Star 1P, is on the surface a super legit one person shelter.

It is substantially bigger than I thought, well thought out and extremely light.

If backpacking, one person shelters, with storage room and multiple options for the weather you expect is something you need, I would take a good look at this one.

The latest tent release from Kuiu, the Summit Star 1P, is on the surface a super legit one person shelter.

It is substantially bigger than I thought, well thought out and extremely light.

If backpacking, one person shelters, with storage room and multiple options for the weather you expect is something you need, I would take a good look at this one.

How is it different from the previous Ultra star 1P? It seems the previous 1P shelter was poorly regarded but so was the initial release of the Mountain Star which would probably be my first choice in a 3 season dome tent now.

There are lots of backpacking cottage manufacturer options in Ultralight 1P space.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I did not like the Ultra Star 1P at all. The pole location made the walls of the tent so severe your floor space was not useable with the steep walls. It was also very narrow for the sleep area. This was a deal breaker for me, I have to have something I can tide storms out in and the Ultra was not that for me.

The Summit seems nearly twice as spacious, I was shocked when I set it up. It has upper and lower vents along with using the door as it is a two way zipper. The guy outs are well positioned and the walls are no longer so steep if you sit up in them you are rubbing against the sides. If you run the inner mesh tent, it sits a far enough away from the outer that if there were some condensation it doesn’t look like it would reach the inner. It looks like it would just run down the outer.

It really appears they took all the issues with the Ultra, fixed them, enlarged the useable area and made it modular and very light weight.

I weighed all the individual parts and it is light. The entire system with outer, inner, foot print, pole, 14 stakes and stuff sacks cane in at 2# 8 ounces.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
It is right about 43 square feet total. Guessing based on the look of it set up I would say the inner is about 25-27. It could be more, but I don’t have that spec, just going off the eyeball.

AndyB

WKR
Kuiu are working on a plan view, with sizes.

I was interested in comparing widths/lengths etc with my other lightweight 1 person. From what I can see this new tent looks roughly the same area with more height and a tipi style shape which I assume would shed weather better than the single hoop style of my other 1 person. So...more sit up room and would shave around 300g of my current 1 man with fly and inner.. I have no problem with the 15d ripstop, my sl3 has the same weight fly and has stood up in some severe weather on numerous occasions.

OP
F

Firebug93

FNG
I was looking for more of a review in the field like the one that reviewed the skyscraper

We've used a 2P Storm Star for about 4 years now, that thing is a tank.

Two years ago we had 3 days straight of torrential downpour in Washington, rivers running under the tent (we had the footprint), and it never leaked a drop. We've had similar/repeat experiences since then. Including multiple feet of snow and sub-zero temps, with no issue.

If we're in doubt about the weather, we only pack the StormStar these days.

OP
F

Firebug93

FNG
We've used a 2P Storm Star for about 4 years now, that thing is a tank.

Two years ago we had 3 days straight of torrential downpour in Washington, rivers running under the tent (we had the footprint), and it never leaked a drop. We've had similar/repeat experiences since then. Including multiple feet of snow and sub-zero temps, with no issue.

If we're in doubt about the weather, we only pack the StormStar these days.
Good to know. Still split

OP
F

Firebug93

FNG
I was thinking of getting the storm star then in the hotter weather I can do the fly and foot print only. The storm star seems more durable then the skyscraper.

Mannsbuick

Lil-Rokslider
I own a Hilleberg "Tarra" their black label..the nice thing about this tent is that it has (2) vestibules..which adds (2) separate entrances/exits, AND you can just pitch the "inner" tent in warm dry weather!! It is bombproof however, the whole damn thing weighs like 9 lbs..**another option I have at my disposal is the super RARE SD SFC Solo Assault shelter that was made and designed for the Navy SEALs/sniper teams, is a completely waterproof SINGLE wall shelter! It is "berry compliant" meaning completely made in USA with US made materials and came seam sealed from the factory! The other thing I should mention is the fact that this single wall shelter is impregnated with Event..breathes well AND has (2) doors w/ MESH (unlike the MH Hunker 1) and has a big awning that can be held up by your trekking poles AND all of this ONLY weighs 4lb 2oz..the other cool thing about this tent is the fact that it is "free standing" and does not even need to be staked out..also has a robust floor..so no need for a foot print! Pretty cool right? It checks off ALL the boxes..single wall shelter, seam sealed, waterproof, (2) doors, breathes exceptionally well, no rain fly, no floor print, has big enough awning for cooking and can connect to my buddies solo assault...all this plus the fact that it was made right here in the good ole' USA!!!!!!!

Mannsbuick

Lil-Rokslider
I agree it’s not that big of a tent and I’ve only spent 1 night in it so far but I like it. Tents are like any other piece of gear, you sort of need a “quiver” of them for different situations. I wanted something that I never had to second guess as far as durability or weather proof ness. I found enough stories of kuiu tents leaking and a story about a stone glacier getting ripped to shreds in heavy winds that I figured I should add a hille to the stable.

MSR makes a 2 man assault type mountaineering tent which is under 4lbs or so that looks sort of like a Bible/black diamond eldorado, I may grab one of those as sort of a solo mountain hunting tent.

At the end of the day, if I drag out the hilleberg, I won’t ever have to wonder if it’s going to get the job done. I have been in situations with other tents where I was genuinely concerned about making it through storms and even had a north face tent get ripped to shreds from the wind once.
Hey you guys need to check out the SD SFC Solo Assault Shelter..it's a single wall completely waterproof (seam sealed) tent that has Event, has (2) doors w/mesh with no need for a rain fly and made in USA!! sounds like a no brainer to me..