KUIU Strapping

Doing a mod on my KUIU bino harness and need a couple feet of the 3/4" strapping. Anyone know what brand theirs is? Trying to keep it looking as "stock" as possible as I will be tying into some of the existing.

I was able to obtain a couple buckles directly from KUIU, but they said they had no way to get me the strapping.

Thoughts?

Trial153

WKR
I might have some, if so your welcome to them. I will look later this evening when I get home

OP
H
Thanks. I was trying to find a place to just buy the strapping as I have a couple other ideas I would like to try. I will probably buy the compression strap to finish this project.

OP
H
So here is the finished product. I drew a unit in Wyoming that has a healthy population of grizzly bears, and while I am not a pistolero I do like the idea of having something in case bear spray doesn't slow them down. I have seen some people with holsters on their back pack, but have never liked having anything on the waist belt where my arms rub. So I came across the FHF gear system where the holster attaches below the bino harness. I liked the concept so I ordered their bino harness as well as an AGC, but just never liked the rear opening lid on those harnesses. I also struggled with finding a harness big enough for Leica 10x42 HD-R binoculars. So I decided I would try a hand at my sewing skills.

I have had some ideas for the "perfect" harness for awhile, so I thought this would be a good step in that direction.

With the Kuiu harness I saw a few flaws, so took a stab at fixing them.

1. The harness wasn't supported from the top. This makes putting the binos back in one handed nearly impossible. As well as when you have the binos on the tripod you couldn't move without the harness falling down around your waste.

2. While the side elastic is handy for some items. A wind checker it is not. Sure you can get it in and out with 2 hands, but rarely with a bow do you have both hands free.

3. When you put a pouch on the side of the harness it made taking the harness off more difficult.

4. There wasn't a way to attach the Razco holster.

So here is what I ended up with.

I fixed problems 1 and 4 with sewing on some webbing to the back of the harness using the speedy stitch sewing awl. I used some 1" strapping I had laying around. I cut it down to fit the smaller KUIU buckles at the top and hopefully they don't start fraying to much.

Problem 2 I was fortunate enough to find a bottle just large enough for the oblong wind checker(similar to primos) at Hobby Lobby. I wrapped it in hockey tape to make it a little less slick. It helps hold it in the harness as well as keeps the wind bottle from sliding out. I also added a magnet at the bottom of the plastic bottle and the wind checker, but not sure if it is needed. One tip is to make sure and bury the wind check as low in the elastic as you can. When the harness opens it gets hung up on the wind checker if not and makes it a tighter fit on the binos making one handed operation a bit more difficult.

For problem 3 I just made some strap extensions out of some 3/4" webbing and KUIU buckles.

Then after getting the Razco holster I took off the strapping and buckles and replaced with KUIU strapping and buckles.

Overall I think it will work. We will see how durability on my stitching turns out. I also don't like some of the loose and doubled up strapping so will be working on tightening up all of that. After tackling this I might try and refine things and make something of my own to see if some other ideas I have will work out.

IMG_0246.jpg
IMG_0247.jpg
IMG_0249.jpg
IMG_0251.jpg
IMG_0252.jpg

Santa

FNG
So here is the finished product. I drew a unit in Wyoming that has a healthy population of grizzly bears, and while I am not a pistolero I do like the idea of having something in case bear spray doesn't slow them down. I have seen some people with holsters on their back pack, but have never liked having anything on the waist belt where my arms rub. So I came across the FHF gear system where the holster attaches below the bino harness. I liked the concept so I ordered their bino harness as well as an AGC, but just never liked the rear opening lid on those harnesses. I also struggled with finding a harness big enough for Leica 10x42 HD-R binoculars. So I decided I would try a hand at my sewing skills.

I have had some ideas for the "perfect" harness for awhile, so I thought this would be a good step in that direction.

With the Kuiu harness I saw a few flaws, so took a stab at fixing them.

1. The harness wasn't supported from the top. This makes putting the binos back in one handed nearly impossible. As well as when you have the binos on the tripod you couldn't move without the harness falling down around your waste.

2. While the side elastic is handy for some items. A wind checker it is not. Sure you can get it in and out with 2 hands, but rarely with a bow do you have both hands free.

3. When you put a pouch on the side of the harness it made taking the harness off more difficult.

4. There wasn't a way to attach the Razco holster.

So here is what I ended up with.

I fixed problems 1 and 4 with sewing on some webbing to the back of the harness using the speedy stitch sewing awl. I used some 1" strapping I had laying around. I cut it down to fit the smaller KUIU buckles at the top and hopefully they don't start fraying to much.

Problem 2 I was fortunate enough to find a bottle just large enough for the oblong wind checker(similar to primos) at Hobby Lobby. I wrapped it in hockey tape to make it a little less slick. It helps hold it in the harness as well as keeps the wind bottle from sliding out. I also added a magnet at the bottom of the plastic bottle and the wind checker, but not sure if it is needed. One tip is to make sure and bury the wind check as low in the elastic as you can. When the harness opens it gets hung up on the wind checker if not and makes it a tighter fit on the binos making one handed operation a bit more difficult.

For problem 3 I just made some strap extensions out of some 3/4" webbing and KUIU buckles.

Then after getting the Razco holster I took off the strapping and buckles and replaced with KUIU strapping and buckles.

Overall I think it will work. We will see how durability on my stitching turns out. I also don't like some of the loose and doubled up strapping so will be working on tightening up all of that. After tackling this I might try and refine things and make something of my own to see if some other ideas I have will work out.

View attachment 76469
View attachment 76470
View attachment 76471
View attachment 76472
View attachment 76473
Man, this is stitching awl move is genius! Thanks for sharing this! I just upgraded to the Kuiu Pro Bino harness and absolutely love it...but was bummed at the lack of loops/bottom webbing for attachments. I will grab an awl of my own and follow suit.