Kuiu Strongfleece 210 vs Peloton 200 zip tees

sivart

WKR
Can anyone give their opinion on either or both? The peloton is on sale, but if the strong fleece is really better, I would bit the bullet.

I'd suggest looking at going straight to the Strong Fleece 260. I have the Peloton 97 and the Peloton 200. The 200 gets used while the 97 does not.

I did a 16 day AK hunt this year and brought the Peloton 200. This combined with the 240 Peloton (buy the hooded version!) did very well. However, there were times on that hunt where I would have been happier if I had just gone straight to the Strong Fleece 260. I personally like being able to cover a larger temperature range with whatever I have with me.

OP
S

sivart

WKR
I understand what your saying. They don't make the 260 without a hood. I plan on layering this w/ my hooded 240 peloton. I can't stand 2 hoods.

I assume you are wanting to layer the 260 and the peloton 240? Which goes on first?

ChrisAU

WKR
I layered a Wick 150 SS, Peloton 97 QZ (non-hooded), and Strong Fleece 260 this past hunt and it worked very, very well for adapting to different conditions. The Peloton 97 over the Wick 150 was excellent for hiking in cold temps.

I understand what your saying. They don't make the 260 without a hood. I plan on layering this w/ my hooded 240 peloton. I can't stand 2 hoods.

I assume you are wanting to layer the 260 and the peloton 240? Which goes on first?

I wore a lightweight T-shirt (Ultra Merino 125), the old 210 Merino top, the Peloton 200 (hooded), and then the Peloton 240. Did have to break out the Ultra Down a few times; it too went under the Peloton 240. This worked very well for me as it covered a huge temperature range without weighing too much. I'd add and remove layers as required.

If the dual hoods are a deal breaker, then you still have options. The Peloton 200, Pro Merino 200, and the Strong Fleece 210. If the plan is to wear as a shirt, I'd go the Merino route (odor control). If the plan is to use as a mid layer then do the Peloton 200 or Strong Fleece 210. I'd probably go with the Peloton 200 due to the current sale. The Strong Fleece 210 is currently 2x the price but won't give you 2x the benefits.

OMB

WKR
I have the Strong Fleece 210, Peloton 200 and now the Pro Merino 200 and would say the Pro Merino has been the best of the bunch. I know they were doing a limited run right now and not sure what's left, but it's a hybird merino inside/polyester outer layer. Would guess they're going to be showcasing it with an official launch later this winter.

I have the Strong Fleece 210, Peloton 200 and now the Pro Merino 200 and would say the Pro Merino has been the best of the bunch. I know they were doing a limited run right now and not sure what's left, but it's a hybird merino inside/polyester outer layer. Would guess they're going to be showcasing it with an official launch later this winter.

would you say the pro merino is more of a mid layer or a base layer? Sounds more like a base layer to me. Zip or pullover?

OMB

WKR
would you say the pro merino is more of a mid layer or a base layer? Sounds more like a base layer to me. Zip or pullover?
It's a zip shirt with a chest pocket like a 145. Based on the cut, I could run it under a Peloton 200 or 260 easily, and I would consider it more of a base layer than mid layer. I hunted 2 weeks ago in Montana, temps between 0-35 degrees and ran it under a Kutana soft shell jacket when moving and then threw on Super Down for glassing and probably could have used one more layer between the merino and jacket. A vest probably could work over top as a layer really well.

I actually first got the crew neck and it made me realize that unless I'm planning on wearing my Kuiu stuff in solid colors in social settings, I'm buying hoodies over crew necks, even under a hooded jacket.

*zap*

WKR
Non topic related but I really like the 97 hoody, very warm for what it is if you are active.

Kostrize

WKR
I wouldn’t be able to use a 260 and 240 hood together, not even sure I could get the 260 to layer underneath the 240. The 240 hood to me is a little small, it’s tighter than the hood on the 200 for some reason. I layer a SD Ultra jacket over my 240. Both are size large. The 240 is very versatile, one of my favorite overall jackets

The 260 is probably too warm for active use under a pack or charging uphill. It’s very warm for a fleece mid layer. Still hunting it should be ok. Sizing on it has been strange for a lot of people it seems, there’s recent threads on it. My experience was negative

The 200 is a nice piece as well. Whether the 210 would be worth it depends on how you’d use it as an outer layer and the durability you require