KUIU StrongFleece 260 - Thoughts and Opinions.

This piece looks like a great, durable yet breathable mid layer. I am thinking of using this as an intermediate fleece layer in AZ. What have your guys' experiences been with this piece? Is it worth it or does Kuiu have a better fleece option. I think the biggest need for this would be to be semi durable as it will be worn as an outer layer to some extent.

I have it and love it. Its very wind resistant and drys quick. Make sure to size up. I ordered a large and it was snug in the shoulders and the forearms could barely fit in sleeves. I ordered XL and fits much better. I wish it was a little more form fitting in the body area, but overall it great and quickly has become a favorite of mine.

I love mine as well, although just got it this year. I am normally a large shirt and ordered a large, fits perfect with layer or two (thin) under and it allows an XL jets team jacket to fit perfectly over top. I like my large and feel I would swim in XL. Ymmv

I love mine, great mid layer for cold weather and outer layer for mild mornings. It is warm though, if I’m moving around much at all and it’s above 30-35 I usually strip it. Have the 240 as well if that’s what you are comparing it to, great piece as well but 260 is substantially warmer. I’d put wind resistance and durability about the same.

Second the warm part. I got mine to use for both western hiking style hunting and stand hunting. It worked well keeping me plenty warm with t shirt under and jet stream over for several hours in 49’s stand hunting, but walking in to the stand I was hot after several hundred yards. Would def strip off the jet stream for hiking

OP
J
That's awesome. I love the input. I am picking one up and will just be running a FL merino T under it. Anxious to see how it holds up in the Arizona bush chasing Coues.

I took it to Alaska a couple of weeks ago on my moose/black bear hunt. I never wore it. Its a great piece if it is going to be worn on a cold morning and you'll be wearing it as a sole outer layer with maybe just one thin layer underneath it. Any more clothes than that in warmer temps and you'll sweat your butt off in it. We were doing lots and lots of hiking so I never saw a use for it. Stand hunting or lots of glassing and this would be a great piece to wear.

I chose the Pelton 240 instead. It's thinner and more wind resistant yet not as warm. Allowed me to layer more easily.

ChrisAU

WKR
I wore mine last week at camp a lot and when glassing. Very warm and love the hand pockets on it.

OP
J
I picked it up. Took it out on a cool morning hike and fell in love. The hood is a little funky and I think the Peloton 200 or Sitka hoods are better but damn this is a great intermediate fleece layer. I'll report back after my hunt in November!