Kuiu Strongfleece 280

Smallie

Lil-Rokslider
So I was looking at purchasing the Strongfleece 210 and went on the Kuiu website and saw the new Strongfleece 280. Anyone know anything about this piece? Would it just be a warmer version of the Strongfleece 260? Any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated

Bärenjäger

Lil-Rokslider
I didn't know there was a 280. I have the 260 hoodie and it too hot for anything but sitting still. Well-made though.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

ChrisAU

WKR
Just looked it over, was really hoping it wasn’t hooded. Hmmm. Love my 210 and 260, but wish I could get a non-hooded 260/280.

OP
S

Smallie

Lil-Rokslider
Just looked it over, was really hoping it wasn’t hooded. Hmmm. Love my 210 and 260, but wish I could get a non-hooded 260/280.
Would you say the 210 is better for warmer weather? Just looking for something in September out west to protect my merino base layer. Just reading threads on here on the 260 it seems like it’s a pretty warm piece

ChrisAU

WKR
Would you say the 210 is better for warmer weather? Just looking for something in September out west to protect my merino base layer. Just reading threads on here on the 260 it seems like it’s a pretty warm piece

260 is very warm, and 210 is warm as well just not as lofted as the 260. I really like the kangaroo pockets of the 210/260 for when you are stationary, one hand access the whole pocket. The 280 defeats that. Last year I took my 260 as a my mid layer for an extremely cold October rifle hunt and I learned day one it was just too hot to wear when moving over a light merino base and peloton 97. IMO your search for a September mid layer should start with the 97 and end with a 200 if the weather is going to be on the cooler side. I run pretty hot though, so take that with a grain of salt.

Bärenjäger

Lil-Rokslider
260 is very warm, and 210 is warm as well just not as lofted as the 260. I really like the kangaroo pockets of the 210/260 for when you are stationary, one hand access the whole pocket. The 280 defeats that. Last year I took my 260 as a my mid layer for an extremely cold October rifle hunt and I learned day one it was just too hot to wear when moving over a light merino base and peloton 97. IMO your search for a September mid layer should start with the 97 and end with a 200 if the weather is going to be on the cooler side. I run pretty hot though, so take that with a grain of salt.
I had nearly the same experience on a late October hunt. The 260 does have quite a bit of loft as previously mentioned. That also means it takes up a lot of pack space if you decide to carry instead of wear because your sweating your ass off. My 2¢...

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

OP
S

Smallie

Lil-Rokslider
I run the 97 right now and I love it except that it snags and catches on everything. I've pretty much shredded 2 of them already. Hoping one of the Strongfleece pieces will be able to reduce some of that. Leaning towards the 210 right now for the kangaroo pocket

sr80

WKR
I run the 97 right now and I love it except that it snags and catches on everything. I've pretty much shredded 2 of them already. Hoping one of the Strongfleece pieces will be able to reduce some of that. Leaning towards the 210 right now for the kangaroo pocket

i ageee with the 97. They shoulda called it the 97 snagathon 😆

ChrisAU

WKR
Yes the 97 snags a lot, but there’s a reason it’s one of the first “hunting” pieces to become a backpacker’s favorite. Warmth to weight is absolutely incredible.

MillCreekMike

Lil-Rokslider
I have the 280, it's a higher loft fleece than the 240, but does not cut the wind like the 240. It's body mapped so lighter on the back & under arms. I would not use it as an outer layer (I don't think that is what it was designed to be) it's a heavy mid layer. It would have to be pretty damn cold out to hike in it. I don't see it replacing the 240 in their line up or mine. It is warm, I wear it under rain gear here in the PNW.

Benjblt

WKR
I have the 280, it's a higher loft fleece than the 240, but does not cut the wind like the 240. It's body mapped so lighter on the back & under arms. I would not use it as an outer layer (I don't think that is what it was designed to be) it's a heavy mid layer. It would have to be pretty damn cold out to hike in it. I don't see it replacing the 240 in their line up or mine. It is warm, I wear it under rain gear here in the PNW.
Would you say the 280 is more durable then the 240? . . seeing as how it's a "strong fleece"?

ChrisAU

WKR

Are you sure you don't have the 260? I wouldn't think anyone not affiliated with Kuiu would have a 280 yet. But it looks like the 280 is just a full zip 260, but must be a little more lofted for the 280 vs 260 moniker.

Last edited:

MillCreekMike

Lil-Rokslider
Are you sure you don't have the 260? I wouldn't think anyone not affiliated with Kuiu would have a 260 yet. But it looks like the 280 is just a full zip 260, but must be a little more lofted for the 280 vs 260 moniker.
I'm sorry, your right! It is the 260 that I have. I had to go look.

OP
S

Smallie

Lil-Rokslider
So Nathan from their CS got back to me and said the new 280 is the warmer and full zip version of the 260. So essentially the 210 is for early season, the 260 for mid season, and the 280 for the cold/ late season.

Kostrize

WKR
I just received the 280. I’ve also had the 260 and sold it. The 280 is basically the 260 but with less body mapping and a full front zipper. The heavy 280 weight fleece goes the entire length of the back, unlike the 210 and 260 which use a much lighter (probably 210 or 220 weight) non berber fleece on the back panel. The 280 uses that lighter material only on the sides and the wrist cuffs, which don’t have thumb holes. I really like the hood and cuffs so far. Sizing is pretty consistent within Kuiu’s system- it layers well under the same size Guide and Axis jacket but would have to be the only midlayer under those softshells.

Packability seems to be almost the same as the 260, although I don’t have one on hand to compare it to. I’m planning on using this as a midlayer for still hunting under rain gear. I think for highly active hunting it would be too warm a piece in all but the coldest conditions.

I sized up one from Kuiu’s size chart recommendation because the forearms were so tight on the 260. For reference, I’m 5’9” 175 with 40” chest 32” waist and I needed a Large

Benjblt

WKR
I just received the 280. I’ve also had the 260 and sold it. The 280 is basically the 260 but with less body mapping and a full front zipper. The heavy 280 weight fleece goes the entire length of the back, unlike the 210 and 260 which use a much lighter (probably 210 or 220 weight) non berber fleece on the back panel. The 280 uses that lighter material only on the sides and the wrist cuffs, which don’t have thumb holes. I really like the hood and cuffs so far. Sizing is pretty consistent within Kuiu’s system- it layers well under the same size Guide and Axis jacket but would have to be the only midlayer under those softshells.

Packability seems to be almost the same as the 260, although I don’t have one on hand to compare it to. I’m planning on using this as a midlayer for still hunting under rain gear. I think for highly active hunting it would be too warm a piece in all but the coldest conditions.

I sized up one from Kuiu’s size chart recommendation because the forearms were so tight on the 260. For reference, I’m 5’9” 175 with 40” chest 32” waist and I needed a Large
I found the 260's shoulders to be too tight. . but the 210's shoulders to be about right. Where does the 280 seem to land? I'm 5' 8" and about 170 and find I float between a Medium and a Large with Kuiu. Their Large's often end up kind of long on me.

jester87

Lil-Rokslider
I’m returning the 280 in LG, its too big for me. Slender 5’8 150, 38 chest and wear med in all their base and mid layers. When I tried a med 260 awhile back it was way too tight and even the lrg was tight in the shoulders and forearm on me. The 280 is cut roomier than the 260, not so tight forearms either. Its a very warm piece, good stand alone but layered under the axis fine too. I’d only wear it as a mid layer if it was very cold with little exertion. I like the hood fit better than the 240.