Kuiu StrongFleece Hybrid 260...thoughts?

OP
Wisco_LOT

Wisco_LOT

Lil-Rokslider
I can see what "Benjblt" is saying about the front pocket running low (being they made is so large)...the zippered access is in a great spot to stay above the waist belt, but if you did have items in the front pocket prior to putting on your pack, there is a solid chance some of these items might end up under your waist belt as you're getting strapped up.

In the following picture, you can see just how low the pocket runs (it's the lower seem with the angled corners)...you can also see the bottom of the zippered access, and how high that is in comparison to the bottom of the pocket.

Outside Sun.jpg

whtlhnter

FNG
I am 5’11”. 165. Should I go medium? I often like a little more room in my hunting clothes but don’t want baggy.

Hathcock

FNG
I am 5’11”. 165. Should I go medium? I often like a little more room in my hunting clothes but don’t want baggy.
I am 5’9” 165 and typically prefer the large. This has been with multiple jackets though, not base layers. The one medium piece I got through the outlet (couldn’t return) was wearable but it was a bit tight under the arms. I’m going to get this in a large in the next week or so and I can let you know how it fits.

Benjblt

WKR
The Medium is pretty tight on my arms and shoulders. The length is pretty good. I'm 5' 8" 175. I wouldnt' say there is much room for layering underneath. I would say the Large for you but it might be a touch baggy in the body. Just my guestimate.

Benjblt

WKR
I can see what "Benjblt" is saying about the front pocket running low (being they made is so large)...the zippered access is in a great spot to stay above the waist belt, but if you did have items in the front pocket prior to putting on your pack, there is a solid chance some of these items might end up under your waist belt as you're getting strapped up.

In the following picture, you can see just how low the pocket runs (it's the lower seem with the angled corners)...you can also see the bottom of the zippered access, and how high that is in comparison to the bottom of the pocket.

View attachment 101069
I think they should have brought the zippers down about 1.5 to 2" and it wouldn't be so awkward. Great piece other then that and the tight shoulders/arms for me.

whtlhnter

FNG
I am 5’9” 165 and typically prefer the large. This has been with multiple jackets though, not base layers. The one medium piece I got through the outlet (couldn’t return) was wearable but it was a bit tight under the arms. I’m going to get this in a large in the next week or so and I can let you know how it fits.

Yes please post thanks.

Hathcock

FNG
Yes please post thanks.
So I got mine in today. Initial impressions are good. I would go with a large if I were you. I am a 41” chest and it fit about perfect in that area. The stomach area could be tightened up a bit but I wouldn’t call it loose. The forearms are the tightest part and I actually wish they were slightly looser. The feeling on the arms makes it feel tighter as a whole than it actually is. Should be real nice for bow hunting. All this was with just a t shirt underneath. I’ll try with a base layer sometime later.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
I returned mine. Ordered a 2xl and a 3xl. I use a 2xl in kuiu everything else top wise. The shoulder, arm pit and bicep area was annoyingly tight on me on both. the 2xl would have fit correctly if the cut was like the 240. The 3xl was tight in exactly the same way but loose everywhere else. For the price I wasn't a fan of making it work. I know it will just sit in my closet while i grab the 2xl 240 as it fits perfect.

Justin_the_EDG

Lil-Rokslider
How stretchy would you guys say this piece is? I know that's kinda a dumb question to specifically have, but I really enjoy the stretch in the FL fleece compared even to the Sitka Heavyweight. Makes the tight forearms you see on all these midlayers way more bearable to me.

Ordered the 210 and the 260. The 210 fit perfect. (Medium, I'm 5' 8"/174 lbs). The 260 was quite tight around the shoulders and arms (including forearms). I found this quite odd. Pretty nice fleece otherwise but the tight fit was a dal breaker for me. I love kangaroo pockets on mid-wieghts but I think they out though this one. The entrance/zippers to the pocket is pretty high, I think to miss the belt of a pack, but the inside of the pocket drops down. I'd predict that this will result in awkward access. You throw something small in the pocket and then you have to reach awkwardly high into the pocket and then back down into the bottom, at a weird angle, to fish around for it. I don't think I'm explaining it right but I think it will be an annoyance for some people.
It may be that way so shit doesn’t fall out of the pocket easily.

OP
Wisco_LOT

Wisco_LOT

Lil-Rokslider
How stretchy would you guys say this piece is? I know that's kinda a dumb question to specifically have, but I really enjoy the stretch in the FL fleece compared even to the Sitka Heavyweight. Makes the tight forearms you see on all these midlayers way more bearable to me.

I would say this piece has minimal stretch...almost no stretch at all.

i'm 5'9" 180 with a 42" chest and ordered a large. Tried it on and it was to tight to even comfortably wear a T shirt. I returned it and got XL which is much better. For my body type I think I still like the FL Klamath fit in size large better.
I will say this thing is warmer and more wind resistant then the FL Klamath.

Hathcock

FNG
I just want to mention for people considering this piece that the main material resists wind pretty good but at the backs of the arms and back, which use a lower weight fleece, the wind cuts through pretty easily.

Interdasting. Planning to order this next week, I like the idea of thinner in the back and arm pits if I read the correctly

K_pem

WKR
Received mine today and im not overly sold on it. The mapping is nice but it’s still going to be a warm jacket maybe too warm. Too warm for an early season outer layer anyways, and not as warm or tough as say the Kutana hybrid jacket. I bought it as a potential replacement piece for the 97 hoody and Kutana that I planned to run, but I think for the weight penalty and options I’d rather go 97/Kutana. I can see where this would shine in a late season kit for sure but i think there are better options for early and mid seasons. I’m going to try the peloton 200 I think instead.

As for fit I will agree with others on the tight arms and big waist, not a fan of the fit, but it’s not terrible. Size Large, 5’9ish 180ish pounds, muscular build, 30” waist.

jonpall

Lil-Rokslider
Have the 210 and like it a lot. Didn't want a hood so that it would be easier to layer under a softshell.

Kostrize

WKR
The material used on the 260 is awesome. The brushed Berber type fleece is very warm and extremely comfortable. The intent somewhat reminds me of the Sitka Traverse ZIP T. I would say it’s warmer than the Sitka Fanatic and Heavyweight hoodies. I think it could likely replace a soft shell for some people with it’s combination of durability, wind, and water resistance. It is very warm though, I believe it would be mostly a static insulation or still hunting piece. High activity levels would probably be too much for the 260. Sounds like the 210 would excel in that regard

I own and love most of the Kuiu lineup but the sizing on the 260 is just off. I should’ve listened to the others on here about the tight forearms and shoulders. I do have slightly large forearms for my size (5’9” 175#) but the tight cut along with the heavy material almost makes me feel like I would have circulation issues with this piece it’s that tight. It is the first Kuiu midlayer I’ve tried that doesn’t fit into their layering system- there’s no way I could wear a long sleeve underneath it. If I size up it will be too boxy/baggy for my torso. I ordered according to the Kuiu sizing chart, their Fit Finder, and experience with the rest of their lineup.

I really wanted to like this piece but I can’t wear it comfortably with it being so restrictive on my arms. I own items from the big three hunting manufacturers and most high end mountaineering companies and I’ve never dealt with this before. Very strange that this got through R&D

Last edited: