Kuiu Summit Refuge 3

SwiftShot

WKR
I have been looking for a backcountry tent for Pacific Northwest, Wyoming and Idaho. I do mostly fall hunts in Washington and Oregon and at least one into Montana, Wyoming or Idaho. Montana and Idaho our usually Oct early November and Washington starts Sept and I will hunt again in mid-December usually in the Olympics area. So Snow is not a problem in Washington but it can be in Montana Idaho and Wyoming. So looking for something I can put a liner in for bugs in early season and something I have the option of a stove in the late wet of Washington and Oregon. This one seem to fit the bill according to size and weight. Any thoughts on this one.

I have it, I absolutely love it. I've used it a ton, its pretty much my do-it-all tent. Things to bear in mind: the plastic stove jack that Kuiu sells melted so I had to sew in a stove jack. Seems like this isn't uncommon. I have a friend whos kuiu stove jack hasn't melted yet though, so its not guaranteed to melt. But if you do have to sew in a jack, that makes the setup a good bit heavier when your using the bug netting and don't need a stove. Also, if you don't usually carry trekking poles that lowers the weight benefit of a trekking-pole tent, or adds the hassle of cutting branches for poles every night. It's comfy for two people, but because of where the poles are you can't really sleep 3. I have a low-sitting camp chair so I can put my stove, a chair, and my pad in there and it makes for a great one person setup.

If those things don't bug you, it's a great tent!

OP
SwiftShot

SwiftShot

WKR
I have it, I absolutely love it. I've used it a ton, its pretty much my do-it-all tent. Things to bear in mind: the plastic stove jack that Kuiu sells melted so I had to sew in a stove jack. Seems like this isn't uncommon. I have a friend whos kuiu stove jack hasn't melted yet though, so its not guaranteed to melt. But if you do have to sew in a jack, that makes the setup a good bit heavier when your using the bug netting and don't need a stove. Also, if you don't usually carry trekking poles that lowers the weight benefit of a trekking-pole tent, or adds the hassle of cutting branches for poles every night. It's comfy for two people, but because of where the poles are you can't really sleep 3. I have a low-sitting camp chair so I can put my stove, a chair, and my pad in there and it makes for a great one person setup.

If those things don't bug you, it's a great tent!
That is exactly what I am thinking to do myself. Thanks for the feedback.

No you can’t. I guess with the kuiu stove jack you might be able to fit it in there, but I’d be worried about the mesh melting with the sparks or the wind coming under the tent and blowing the mesh into the stove. And if you sew in a jack, depending on where you put it, you’d need to sew a jack into the mesh too.