Kuiu Super Down Burner Parka

NorthCountryAB

Lil-Rokslider
I call KUIU and ask about the BURNER jacket, he told me that the Gale Force is a better one because it is breathable and the BURNER is not. I have the Gale Force and it the beast.!
I have the Gale Force bibs and jacket, I havnt found anything that warm yet. I use mine for Northern Alberta november whitetail hunting, winter wolf hunting and ice fishing. I see no reason to replace it with anything else.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Nunatak Kobuk parka would be a good comparison, but order window for those doesn't open back up til August. I wear an XL and it has 12oz of 900fp down in it, 10.6oz in a large. Can get it in 40d outer material or 20d, or 15d. They make a UL version with a 10d outer that's 19.8oz overall weight with 12oz of down in it. That thing would have to be a furnace. @White Mamba has a custom Kobuk with a zip off down wrap on the bottom that comes past his knees.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I've only tried on the Gale Force but never tested it in the field. I'm sure it's super warm and it would be great for a lot of scenarios.

I think the Burner is a great choice if bulk and weight are a consideration.

Mikido

WKR
Any other reviews of this kuiu burner parka?
Tried one on at the Great American Sports show in Harrisburg ,PA on Monday, they seemed really nice, almost twice as thick as the other down jackets kuiu had. I've used sitka incinerator and blizzard clothing ( personally I think the incinerator was warmer) but I like kuiu better than sitka because imho they are better built. But it would be interested to see how the sitka incinerator compares to the kuiu burner
I walked right past it myself when I saw the sticker….did you notice some missing stands and less outfitters this year? Not sure if corona related.

Here's a custom from Nunatak, this one has a sleeping bag foot zipped on.
Jan said he would add 1lb of fill if I wanted for some Mongolian winter hunting. Custom gives you alot options

Attachments

• 20200401_204436.jpg
    20200401_204436.jpg
    550.6 KB · Views: 65

sneaky

"DADDY"
Not sure you are comparing apple to apple here is the Nunatak 100% water and wind proof? The Kuiu is.
Depends on what exterior shell fabric you choose from Nunatak, they offer waterproof shells as well. Can you get in between sizes from Kuiu? Like a L/XL? Different fill weights from Kuiu? Custom sleeve lengths from Kuiu? Added back length? Hood or no hood? The weather that you'll need a jacket with that much insulation in isn't the type of weather where a waterproof fabric is really needed. Windproof is more useful in bitter cold than waterproof. Jackets with that fill weight are designed for bitter cold... which is dry cold, it isn't raining at zero degrees.

sneaky

"DADDY"
My wife bought me the Kuiu Super Down Burner Parka for my birthday earlier this month. At a price of $799.99, it was not something I was considering purchasing for myself (no discounts or pro deals available on it). I didn't even give it much of a look because of the sticker shock.

Well, my wife knows I already have a closet full of assorted gear to cover most situations and she wanted to find something I didn't have and would actually use. She knew I have multiple other down and synthetic puffy jackets but figured this one would work well for the extreme cold situations.

After using it for a week of mostly night hunting in North Dakota, I am very impressed. The temps were as low as -8 with winds over 10 mph most of the time. I never even got the slightest chill. Since I only used it for a week so far and never in the rain, I won't comment on durability or rain resistance but I have high hopes. I do still think the price is high but am very satisfied with it overall. The Burner Parka will be with me on all of my late-season outings from now on.
It's never a bad thing when the wife buys you gear

Seeknelk

WKR
Depends on what exterior shell fabric you choose from Nunatak, they offer waterproof shells as well. Can you get in between sizes from Kuiu? Like a L/XL? Different fill weights from Kuiu? Custom sleeve lengths from Kuiu? Added back length? Hood or no hood? The weather that you'll need a jacket with that much insulation in isn't the type of weather where a waterproof fabric is really needed. Windproof is more useful in bitter cold than waterproof. Jackets with that fill weight are designed for bitter cold... which is dry cold, it isn't raining at zero degrees.

This^^. But be prepared to wait for the privilege to give them your money. And a custom order that cant get in till August gets to your door when? A question for them I guess.

FLH

Lil-Rokslider
Nice wolf, sneaky. Guy at my old hunting club had one just like that. Thing always spooked me. Never blinked. No emotion in eyes or expression. Growled like a demon from hell when the owner rubbed it's belly. "Their vocal cords can't bark, only howl or growl", the owner told me.

Always wanted the Nunatuk Skaha in Apex. When I was ready to order they'd stopped using Apex. That camo Kobuk parka is the cat's behind, though. Have to give another look see at their website. Thanks.