Kuiu Super Down Burner Parka

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
My wife bought me the Kuiu Super Down Burner Parka for my birthday earlier this month. At a price of $799.99, it was not something I was considering purchasing for myself (no discounts or pro deals available on it). I didn't even give it much of a look because of the sticker shock.

Well, my wife knows I already have a closet full of assorted gear to cover most situations and she wanted to find something I didn't have and would actually use. She knew I have multiple other down and synthetic puffy jackets but figured this one would work well for the extreme cold situations.

After using it for a week of mostly night hunting in North Dakota, I am very impressed. The temps were as low as -8 with winds over 10 mph most of the time. I never even got the slightest chill. Since I only used it for a week so far and never in the rain, I won't comment on durability or rain resistance but I have high hopes. I do still think the price is high but am very satisfied with it overall. The Burner Parka will be with me on all of my late-season outings from now on.

PRC_GUY

WKR
I just came back from Elk hunting in Utah in the Mountain, my Katana Gale FORCE was good when the weather below 0, I would look very close to that BURNER one day.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
My wife bought me the Kuiu Super Down Burner Parka for my birthday earlier this month. At a price of $799.99, it was not something I was considering purchasing for myself (no discounts or pro deals available on it). I didn't even give it much of a look because of the sticker shock.

Well, my wife knows I already have a closet full of assorted gear to cover most situations and she wanted to find something I didn't have and would actually use. She knew I have multiple other down and synthetic puffy jackets but figured this one would work well for the extreme cold situations.

After using it for a week of mostly night hunting in North Dakota, I am very impressed. The temps were as low as -8 with winds over 10 mph most of the time. I never even got the slightest chill. Since I only used it for a week so far and never in the rain, I won't comment on durability to rain resistance but I have high hopes. I do still think the price is high but am very satisfied with it overall. The Burner Parka will be with me on all of my late-season outings from now on.

Glad you got a hold of one Justin, we were trying to line one up for @SLDMTN to review but not sure if that’s gonna happen. Good to have your thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
It would be interesting to see how it compares to the Sitka Blizzard Aerolite. What are the pros and cons of each jacket
Dang, that would be a great comparison! I don't think I could swing buying another jacket at $750 but I'll see if someone I know gets one or maybe Sitka will send one to compare.

Here are a few things just comparing from the company's websites.

Price: Kuiu $799 vs Sitka $749
Weight: Kuiu 26 oz vs Sitka 45.5 oz
Insulation: Kuiu Treated Quixdown vs Sitka Synthetic PrimaLoft® Gold Insulation with Cross Core™ technology
Waterproof: Both jackets

Seems the biggest difference between the two (assuming comparable warmth) is weight and I would think packability.

PRC_GUY

WKR
Dang, that would be a great comparison! I don't think I could swing buying another jacket at $750 but I'll see if someone I know gets one or maybe Sitka will send one to compare.

Here are a few things just comparing from the company's websites.

Price: Kuiu $799 vs Sitka $749
Weight: Kuiu 26 oz vs Sitka 45.5 oz
Insulation: Kuiu Treated Quixdown vs Sitka Synthetic PrimaLoft® Gold Insulation with Cross Core™ technology
Waterproof: Both jackets

Seems the biggest difference between the two (assuming comparable warmth) is weight and I would think packability.
I will take 26oz jacket all day long in the mountain!

Couldn’t you just layer a couple of lighter jackets, say the Super down Ultra hooded plus another down or synthetic jacket and achieve about the same warmth?

I did this with jackets as well as sleeping bags when I polar bear hunted in February 4 years ago and it worked out well…I survived comfortably with no frozen parts covered by the jackets (or bags). Just a finger tip frozen while photographing a bear about the time the iPhone froze up…likely less than a minute.

That said, I bet the Burner is warm as heck based on specs.

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Couldn’t you just layer a couple of lighter jackets, say the Super down Ultra hooded plus another down or synthetic jacket and achieve about the same warmth?

I did this with jackets as well as sleeping bags when I polar bear hunted in February 4 years ago and it worked out well…I survived comfortably with no frozen parts covered by the jackets (or bags). Just a finger tip frozen while photographing a bear about the time the iPhone froze up…likely less than a minute.

That's an interesting idea. I haven't personally tried anything like that other than wearing a puffy vest over my puffy jackets to increase warmth. I would think doubling up jackets would add more weight vs warmth and the layers could get annoying.

utley010

FNG
What other layers are you wearing under the parka down to -8 deg?

Do you have the Super Down Pro jacket to compare? I wear the SDP jacket while stand hunting down to 10 deg, but need 4-5 base/mid layers under it to be decently comfortable.

kpk

WKR
This may be something I pick up at some point too. Air temp was -8 this morning when I got up and the current real feel is -22. Supposed to get considerably colder when the wind picks up later. Price becomes less of an issue when you deal with real cold.

Wife and I were just talking about this the other day. We both have higher end Columbia jackets for daily use and neither one of us think they are are as warm as they were when we bought them a couple years ago. Anyone more knowledgeable know if the synthetics tend to lose warmth after use?

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
What other layers are you wearing under the parka down to -8 deg?

Do you have the Super Down Pro jacket to compare? I wear the SDP jacket while stand hunting down to 10 deg, but need 4-5 base/mid layers under it to be decently comfortable.
I was wearing a Firstlite t-shirt and long sleeve and a Sitka Gear fleece.

I don't have the Super Down Pro but I have a similar jacket from Arc'terex and it isn't even close to the Burner Parka. The Burner Parka has 8.8 oz of 850 down fill, the Super Down Pro has 5 oz of 850 down fill.

This may be something I pick up at some point too. Air temp was -8 this morning when I got up and the current real feel is -22. Supposed to get considerably colder when the wind picks up later. Price becomes less of an issue when you deal with real cold.

Wife and I were just talking about this the other day. We both have higher end Columbia jackets for daily use and neither one of us think they are are as warm as they were when we bought them a couple years ago. Anyone more knowledgeable know if the synthetics tend to lose warmth after use?
That has been my experience. Seems like high quality down lasts longer for me, especially if the item is being compressed often.

sasquatch

WKR

Post pics of the bear!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Any other reviews of this kuiu burner parka?
Tried one on at the Great American Sports show in Harrisburg ,PA on Monday, they seemed really nice, almost twice as thick as the other down jackets kuiu had. I've used sitka incinerator and blizzard clothing ( personally I think the incinerator was warmer) but I like kuiu better than sitka because imho they are better built. But it would be interested to see how the sitka incinerator compares to the kuiu burner

PRC_GUY

WKR
Any other reviews of this kuiu burner parka?
Tried one on at the Great American Sports show in Harrisburg ,PA on Monday, they seemed really nice, almost twice as thick as the other down jackets kuiu had. I've used sitka incinerator and blizzard clothing ( personally I think the incinerator was warmer) but I like kuiu better than sitka because imho they are better built. But it would be interested to see how the sitka incinerator compares to the kuiu burner
I call KUIU and ask about the BURNER jacket, he told me that the Gale Force is a better one because it is breathable and the BURNER is not. I have the Gale Force and it the beast.!