Kuiu super down pro vs ultra

Shraedus

FNG
I am wondering what temps I could conceivably sit comfortably at with either of these. I do have the first lite furnace base layers and the kuiu guide dcs jacket and pro pants. I will be using this during whitetail season in western Pennsylvania and eastern Ohio. This would be in late december. I know it's all relative and varies but any insight would be much appreciated. Thanks all.

IdahoElk

WKR
I am wondering what temps I could conceivably sit comfortably at with either of these. I do have the first lite furnace base layers and the kuiu guide dcs jacket and pro pants. I will be using this during whitetail season in western Pennsylvania and eastern Ohio. This would be in late december. I know it's all relative and varies but any insight would be much appreciated. Thanks all.
I have both Ultra, pro and also Sitka incinerator and I personally would go incinerator if I was sitting in a stand at temps below 20 for hours. I did a Nebraska hunt one year with a combination of Incinerator and SD ultra and was toasty warm for hours. Add feet and hand warmers also.

rclouse79

WKR
I will pass on the Kuiu down and burn a small pile of $20 bills to stay warm instead. Much cheaper in the long run.

mlgc20

WKR
I have the Pro and the Ultra. I layer them together when it gets really cold. Last season, I sat in zero degrees for about 4 hours using both. I was quite comfortable, and could have stayed longer. But ran out of light. Individually, I’d say the comfort limit of the Pro is 10 degrees. The Ultra is probably around 30.

OMB

WKR
I have both, but if I were only buying one it would be the Pro. It's a bit more quiet and more durable, obviously also warmer. For deer hunting, especially with a bow, I'd rather just layer under a quiet Kenai jacket. If it's under 20-25 degrees, my usual layers are tshirt/Pro Merino 200/Strong Fleece 260 Hoodie/Super Down Pro, with merino leggings/Guide pants/Super Down Pro pants as my bottom layer. Toss in a few strategically placed handwarmers and I'm good to go for long whitetail sits.

If you're bowhunting, be aware that it's definitely more noisy than the specialized Sitka pieces, have your movements planned out like how you're going to grab your bow and set up your shot.

OP
S

Shraedus

FNG
Thanks all! I am just trying to finish off my system with a couple more pieces to help me get through the later season. I am good from early through mid season. Later season is where I am mainly stand hunting and sitting.

pawlyb

FNG

I am good in the super down ultra down to about 30 degrees with weaker baselayers. I assume the furnace would give you an extra 5-10 over the very thin ones I was wearing. I’m impressed with the ultra’s warmth to weight ratio but for warmth alone you do feel the limitations of it below freezing.

I use the ultra jacket and vest as insulation mid-layers. They’re great for that!

In cold-ass Vermont, the Kryptec Aegis bibs and jacket have held up to every negative Fahrenheit day I have thrown at them.