Kuiu Super Down Ultra vs FL UnclePadre Pants

tgus59

Lil-Rokslider
Opinions on which is better? Warmer? They will be an outer layer for glassing out west, and an insulating layer under my FL Sanctuary bibs for treestand hunts. Not planning on moving around in either pair.

Kuiu is lighter, and in stock, and more expensive
FL- the rest of my kit is FL, they're cheaper, and heavier.

Both are full zip, and look to have good reviews.

*zap*

WKR
They are not similar @ all. Down will be warmer, FL will be good with a light pant & light base under them down to 40° with not much wind. I do not have the down but I would hope it was a lot warmer than that.
I use uncomphagre pant as an 'in case I need it' in the pack.

bigbaddad71

Lil-Rokslider
Opinions on which is better? Warmer? They will be an outer layer for glassing out west, and an insulating layer under my FL Sanctuary bibs for treestand hunts. Not planning on moving around in either pair.

Kuiu is lighter, and in stock, and more expensive
FL- the rest of my kit is FL, they're cheaper, and heavier.

Both are full zip, and look to have good reviews.
I know this wasn't your question, but if you plan on running as an outer much. Seriously look at Kifaru Lost park pants..

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Kotaman

WKR
Synthetic puffy pants are a "non starter" for me. Too bulky and too heavy to pack. If you are hunting out of a back pack this is an easy decision. (KUIU) If you are hunting out of a base camp and weight and packablity are not an issue, go synthetic.

Northpark

WKR
The kuiu ultra pants are very light and very warm. Also pack down pretty small. Plus down just seems to block the wind better with less bulk.

Here is my advice. If you want the Kuiu then go with the Pro. It's $80 more but also has almost twice the fill. I went with the ULTRA top and bottom and while they serve me well, I do wish that I'd gone straight to the PRO. I have the PRO jacket now and will be grabbing the PRO pants at some point.

If you are open to other options, look at the Grumman line from Stone Glacier.

Rommy

Lil-Rokslider
I love my kuiu ultra puffy pants. I can’t compare the warmth to the FL pants, but I will say that they’re not even close to the warmth of other puffy pants like the down SG or mountaineering companies or even a synthetic like the Sitka kelvin lite pants, and over priced for what you’re getting. But they’re full zip and only 8 ounces. For me they’re plenty warm and so light it’s barely noticeable. If I was going to get something the weight of the FL pants id choose SG or Montbell down or even the kelvin lite pants over the FL. I find the FL uncompahgre JACKET isn’t very warm.

That being said, because of the weight I take the kuiu ultra pants every time I go out. If I didn’t care about the side zip I’d go with Montbell’s 8 ounces puffy pants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk