KUIU Super Down vs. Western Mountaineering Badger, 15-degree bags

jt4

WKR
What’s the coldest any of you have gotten down to in the badger? Friday is expected to get down to 5* and I’m tempted to test it out with an xtherm max pad.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sasquatch

WKR
What’s the coldest any of you have gotten down to in the badger? Friday is expected to get down to 5* and I’m tempted to test it out with an xtherm max pad.

I have the gws badger. I start to get cold when it’s under 30 myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

zacattack

WKR

Just checking in. Did you do it?

jt4

WKR
Just checking in. Did you do it?

This won’t be a Robby denning in depth review, but I did. For the short version, there’s a way shorter recap posted at the bottom.

Set up the cimarron, xtherm and the bag around 2:30 Friday afternoon. Went outside to bed around 11 with it showing 16*. I knew this would be pushing the limits so I wore a kiln and Klamath hoody up top, some no name brand midweight baselayer and obsidian pants on the bottom along with a carhartt beanie and merino socks.

I woke up three times, two of which were just from being horribly uncomfortable bc of the pillow I used. That’ll be addressed this winter. The third time I woke up with my hands cold since I tend to sleep on my side with one hand under a pillow. This doesn’t work very well in a sleeping bag. This time I could tell it was colder than I’d want to be when sleeping.

I could definitely tell a chill enough to show the bag wasn’t really meant for use at single digits, but never did I feel cold enough to want to get out and go back inside.

Two mistakes I made that definitely could have had an effect on how warm it was inside the bag. 1) The first time I woke up I cinched down the draft collar around my neck, should have done this to start. 2) When I woke up with cold hands I finally realized I never cinched the hood around my head which also would have kept a lot more draft out from rolling down my neck. I honestly forgot this was even a feature and was pretty pissed off the other two time I had woken up wondering why the F my pillow kept moving so much.

In the end I went inside around 6 AM and the temp showed 5*. While technically I probably didn’t sleep in the bag at 5, most of the night was spent in the single digits.

Short Version: Yes you can make it through the night in single digits in the WM badger if you aren’t a cold sleeper, wear some decent clothes and actually know how to use the features on bag like its meant to be used.

zacattack

WKR
This won’t be a Robby denning in depth review, but I did. For the short version, there’s a way shorter recap posted at the bottom.

Set up the cimarron, xtherm and the bag around 2:30 Friday afternoon. Went outside to bed around 11 with it showing 16*. I knew this would be pushing the limits so I wore a kiln and Klamath hoody up top, some no name brand midweight baselayer and obsidian pants on the bottom along with a carhartt beanie and merino socks.

I woke up three times, two of which were just from being horribly uncomfortable bc of the pillow I used. That’ll be addressed this winter. The third time I woke up with my hands cold since I tend to sleep on my side with one hand under a pillow. This doesn’t work very well in a sleeping bag. This time I could tell it was colder than I’d want to be when sleeping.

I could definitely tell a chill enough to show the bag wasn’t really meant for use at single digits, but never did I feel cold enough to want to get out and go back inside.

Two mistakes I made that definitely could have had an effect on how warm it was inside the bag. 1) The first time I woke up I cinched down the draft collar around my neck, should have done this to start. 2) When I woke up with cold hands I finally realized I never cinched the hood around my head which also would have kept a lot more draft out from rolling down my neck. I honestly forgot this was even a feature and was pretty pissed off the other two time I had woken up wondering why the F my pillow kept moving so much.

In the end I went inside around 6 AM and the temp showed 5*. While technically I probably didn’t sleep in the bag at 5, most of the night was spent in the single digits.

Short Version: Yes you can make it through the night in single digits in the WM badger if you aren’t a cold sleeper, wear some decent clothes and actually know how to use the features on bag like its meant to be used.

Nice. Yeah that hood is money. I want to try mine below 15 but we haven’t gotten very cold yet.

Last edited:

ppelham

FNG
I got that SG down to about 5 degrees but conditions weren't the same, so it's hard to say with only one night on the KUIU & WM. I tested the SG in a lot less wind than last night threw out, and on a cot with a pad that likely has a higher R-value than the Exped.
How much does wind vs temp play a role? Two different types of cold IMO

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Keeping your face warm will do a lot for the warmth of a bag. In real cold, a fur ruff is wonderful, as it keeps that air movement down and warms your face enough without needing to put your head in the bag. In moderate cold, I use the facemark of the Sitka base layers often or use a lightweight buff.

Now let me tell you guys a story.

A few years ago I was hunting near timberline in Colorado in November. It was an area I had not hunted so I set up a base camp Tipi, and took a super light Bivy setup as I set out looking for elk. My Bivy setup was an LBO base / vestibule with out a stove, a quilt and a light mesh Bivy (I have to cap Bivy or it automatically corrects to bevy ). Well we slept next to a creek , in a low point , about 6 miles in where we found elk at about 11,200. In other words, a COLD location in the mountains. We made a fire , which was useless because it was so cold. I froze my ass off most of the night and cursed myself for not taking a stove ... finally about 2 am .. I completely zipped the Bivy .. and that slowed down the heat loss enough that warmth returned to my face. Once my face was warm ... almost immediately my hands and feet warmed and I managed a few hours of quality sleep after that. If you face is cold, your body will rob the blood from the extremities for the core and other parts of your body will become cold. Keeping the face warm, without putting it in your bag will do A LOT for your cold weather sleeping

Kevin

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Kevin is so right. My favorite shirt is the Sitka Fanatic Hoody. Yea it is marketed as a whitetail layer but I never am on a hunt without it from Alaska to Arizona. And the only time I take it off is to change out the base layer under it. It’s got an integrated hood, face mask, and even little “mittens”. All are deployed before I hit the hay.

7layerburrito

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
Kevin is so right. My favorite shirt is the Sitka Fanatic Hoody. Yea it is marketed as a whitetail layer but I never am on a hunt without it from Alaska to Arizona. And the only time I take it off is to change out the base layer under it. It’s got an integrated hood, face mask, and even little “mittens”. All are deployed before I hit the hay.
I'm getting a little off-topic here, apologies, but that hoodie sounds awesome. Does anyone else make anything like it?

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I have no idea if anyone else make anything like it. I’d call 1ShotGear as the carry the Stone Glacier sleeping bag, the Fanatic Hoody, and tons of other great stuff. If anyone know, they will. Here is a link to the hoody:

1ShotGear Fanatic Hoody

sneaky

"DADDY"
I'm getting a little off-topic here, apologies, but that hoodie sounds awesome. Does anyone else make anything like it?
Any particular reason you don't want the Sitka version? It has a pass through pocket on the front too.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk