KUIU Super Down vs. Western Mountaineering Badger, 15-degree bags

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
He’s saying you want less down on the bottom and more on top. Since you crush the down underneath you, and you get no loft and therefore no insulation from the down on the bottom. That’s the main appeal I believe of quilts.

Exactly. Very little insulation value in crushed down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He’s saying you want less down on the bottom and more on top. Since you crush the down underneath you, and you get no loft and therefore no insulation from the down on the bottom. That’s the main appeal I believe of quilts.
Yeah I know, but in my case there was basically no down on the bottom.

twall13

WKR
Yeah I know, but in my case there was basically no down on the bottom.
Big agnes and at least one other brand makes a bag with zero insulation on the bottom, just a sleeve for your pad. Quilts work on the same premise, so no down under you shouldn't be any different than some down under you as your body weight compresses the down and it loses all insulation value. That's why a warm pad is so important. In my experience, a synthetic bag still gives a small amount of insulation value when compressed under bodyweight but even then it's minimal. With down it's almost zero. I've experienced this first hand as I dialed in my hammock setup where down compressed under bodyweight did nothing to keep me warm.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Well I guess I’ve been doing it wrong then? I don’t like to use my pad when I’m just at base camp I like an air mattress. I’ll bring my pad too next time and see how it goes. Thanks for all of the info

Fatcamp

WKR
I'll play devil's advocate. While the down directly underneath your body is compressed and loses much of it's insulation value, the material that surrounds the sides of your body and between your legs provides good insulation.

I am currently laying on one quilt covered by another. Our spare room where I am laid up is cool and this bed would freeze me out without that quilt under me. As is I am very comfortable. Twin underneath and queen on top is very toasty.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Well I guess I’ve been doing it wrong then? I don’t like to use my pad when I’m just at base camp I like an air mattress. I’ll bring my pad too next time and see how it goes. Thanks for all of the info
You'll notice an immediate difference if you go from just an air mattress to using that Xtherm. Especially if you're just using one of those bed style air mattresses with zero R value. They just wick cold up from the ground and you don't produce enough body heat to warm that much air space.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Been there done that. Never use an air mattress when cold out. You will freeze. Dont ask how I know. LOL

A foam pad is way better in base camp. IMHO

jt4

WKR
Good read on this thread. It got me to do a test of my own through the weekend.

03349aba35cb81f5cb0cb7cb00845e94.jpg

junior

WKR
You'll notice an immediate difference if you go from just an air mattress to using that Xtherm. Especially if you're just using one of those bed style air mattresses with zero R value. They just wick cold up from the ground and you don't produce enough body heat to warm that much air space.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Agreed, The Xtherm is awesome. Not all air mattresses are bad, R value is R value, material shouldn’t make a difference.

Agreed, The Xtherm is awesome. Not all air mattresses are bad, R value is R value, material shouldn’t make a difference.

I took it as just a normal air mattress. Not an inflatable sleeping pad. I could be wrong though.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Hey all. I just put the SG Chilkoot in the tent. Looks like we might have some nights this week that are close to the 15° mark.

Sounds like I need to test the SG against the other two bags while sleeping on that EXPED.

Last year‘s test on the Chilkoot, if you followed it, I got it down into the single digits, but that was on a Thermarest. So before I wrap up these temperature rating tests, will answer the question of which bag of the three is truly the warmest.

deadwolf

WKR
Hey all. I just put the SG Chilkoot in the tent. Looks like we might have some nights this week that are close to the 15° mark.

Sounds like I need to test the SG against the other two bags while sleeping on that EXPED.

Last year‘s test on the Chilkoot, if you followed it, I got it down into the single digits, but that was on a Thermarest. So before I wrap up these temperature rating tests, will answer the question of which bag of the three is truly the warmest.

That would be great Robby! I really really wish the SG had a little more room though!

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
That would be great Robby! I really really wish the SG had a little more room though!

Yeah I haven’t slept in the SG since last November so now I’ll have a good comparison on the fit of each one because it will be fresh in my mind.

Fatcamp

WKR
Told my wife we are about to test out base, pad and tent in preparation for next fall by sleeping outside this coming week. LOL. "Now? When it's cold?"

Gonna be fun. 😁

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Told my wife we are about to test out base, pad and tent in preparation for next fall by sleeping outside this coming week. LOL. "Now? When it's cold?"

Gonna be fun.

Hahahaha. No hanky panky out there. Testing only.

Last edited:
OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Weather man has upped the overnight lows over 20 degrees for the foreseeable future, so I'm just waiting for a new forecast with 15 degree temps....