KUIU Super Down vs. Western Mountaineering Badger, 15-degree bags

MattB

WKR
Yup based on my prior experience with WM Alpinelite I think I will go that route again. 1200MM is quit good considering how thin the fabric is (12d). I will lose some breathability not using Microfiber; however, I never really thougtht it was an issue as I ran that bag for 4 years. from June - end of October.

I have a 10+ year old WM Micrfiber bag and poured a glass of water on the exterior shell and let it sit for a bit. When I poured it off, there was no water penetration I could discern.

I have a 10+ year old WM Micrfiber bag and poured a glass of water on the exterior shell and let it sit for a bit. When I poured it off, there was no water penetration I could discern.

Wow! Matt, thats a testament to WM and the material they use. Truly top of the line. At least with WM, you pay for what you get and in your case I would argue you got even more. Thanks for sharing.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
When we (Seek Outside ) inquired about being a WM dealer, they commented man we love you packs ... you guys don't have any plans to make sleeping bags do you ? I told them no, because I felt there was very , very little room for improvement over what they did. It's good stuff and built to last. The zippers run smooth and don't snag (which is important in the middle of the night), they loose very few feathers, are naturally overstuffed, and very water resistant, the draft collars work well. You can maybe beat them in small little corner use cases, but the product line over all is tough to beat.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Hopefully Robby gets a cold snap because I still want to see how the Chilkoot 15 bag does in comparision.

It ain’t gonna happen bro, I just checked the weather forecast and there’s nothing even close to the temperatures that we need. Now if I lose my job, maybe I can migrate to a colder climate for a few weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
It ain’t gonna happen bro, I just checked the weather forecast and there’s nothing even close to the temperatures that we need. Now if I lose my job, maybe I can migrate to a colder climate for a few weeks.

Man I hope it doesn't come to that Robby. In these crazy times just enjoy the warmer weather

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"

Lows over here are gonna be 18, 12, 12, and 19 starting tomorrow night.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I vote supermarket freezer test, you cant just not finish.

Murtfree

Lil-Rokslider
I’m 5 foot nine 180, and I believe the regular sized KUIU fits me just right. So you might be fine going with that extra 2 inches.
Sure thing. Let me know what you think when you get it. The 0° is going to be the bomb!
Received my bag today and tried it out the best I could indoors to try out zippers and collars. It took a few tries to figure out the best way to operate the zipper snag free and I think I now have the hang of it. Tested out the collar and draw strings and by the time (maybe 3 or 4 minutes) I was completely in the bag I needed to find my way out or I would have ended up “well cooked”. Glad I ordered the long for the extra girth and fits well but I think the regular would have been overly snug. Thanks for the help with your review.

8CDF7137-2F81-44FE-9354-4452065E9FF1.jpgD33F7B44-E808-411A-A3F1-E01116C9F90E.jpeg

That's interesting. I was goofing off with my WM Sycamore tonight in the living room. Moved all the down from the underside to the top side and got inside. To move the down you just open the bag and lay it on the floor, then using your hand you swipe the down across from the bottom side to the top side. Was cooking in minutes and had to get out. Loft on top was huge! 😁

This gives you a bag that is cool at 50 degrees and toasty at 15.

Last edited:
OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Received my bag today and tried it out the best I could indoors to try out zippers and collars. It took a few tries to figure out the best way to operate the zipper snag free and I think I now have the hang of it. Tested out the collar and draw strings and by the time (maybe 3 or 4 minutes) I was completely in the bag I needed to find my way out or I would have ended up “well cooked”. Glad I ordered the long for the extra girth and fits well but I think the regular would have been overly snug. Thanks for the help with your review.

View attachment 164662View attachment 164663
That was fast!!!!

is this the Zero-degree?

sneaky

"DADDY"
The Kodiak MF in 0 degree from WM is 2lb 15oz in the 6'6" version. I'll weigh mine today sometime and see what it comes in at.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Looks like 67"/58"/41" on Kodiak specs inside. 64"/59"/? for KUIU. Anyone know the footbox specs? They don't list it.

sneaky

"DADDY"
3lb 1.3oz on my scale, 3 lbs 3.3oz in the WM stuff sack
dc265b850f0945069930fd000c312a9e.jpg
0862618b1e068fe2df3d92fd3a57e50e.jpg