KUIU Super Down vs. Western Mountaineering Badger, 15-degree bags

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
+1000 for Hermit's Hut. They include 10% over stuff standard and are super to deal with. The owner always picked up the phone to give me advice.

I bought the Sycamore, which is a work of art and a decent size in the chest, and especially knee area. But the foot box is smaller than I prefer, even though it's a good bit larger than most mummy bags. I could also use a couple inches at the shoulder. I'm 5'8" and muscular build. Since it's essentially a 20 degree bag (25 + over stuff), I've been fine with it in the cold, where I don't mind just bundling up like a mummy. But if I could get the same warmth with a larger foot box and a little more shoulder space I would go for that next time. In fact I'll probably keep this bag but add a Sequoia MF to my collection. I don't see a need for GWS, as the WM Microfiber is pretty water resistant and tough enough for my needs.

Here is a link to the page that lists all of WM bags. So you can see the diameters of every bag. Notice that the size of the foot box on the Sequoia is only 2" more than the Sycamore, but that would definitely be an improvement for me.

Yes sir! Sycamore and Sequoia are the two bags I use as well. Love them both.

TravisIN

WKR
Fantastic review! Thank you very much.

But now I am even more on the fence. I love the KUIU products I have purchased so far (clothing) and now I am trying to find the perfect bag for my first ever Elk bowhunt this September in Colorado.

I'm 6'3", 220, warm sleeper. mostly back and side position. Not to keen on a super restrictive bag.

I have narrowed it down to the KUIU, WM Badger and the SG Chilkoot. All are within $100 of each other with the WM being the most expensive. I really want to make a wise choice here so if the old saying is "buy once cry once" is true then so be it.

For those of you out there that have owned either of these bags what would you suggest?

Thank you in advance!

Steve

Look at the WM terralite. If you order it through hermits hut they’ll throw in some free overfill if you’d like which they say adds 3-5 degrees if I remember right. Nice and roomy. I love mine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Akshphntr

FNG
I have no affiliation but a wiggies zero degree would be prime in colder weather like this. Bulky heavy and very comfortable...

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Did Kuiu discontinue their sleeping bag line? I can't find them anywhere on their website

Yes I’ve been getting messages from guys that can’t find them on their site. I’ll email them tomorrow and see what I can find out. Maybe they just sold them all out. Seems strange they would completely remove them from their site though, so I’m not sure what’s up.

deadwolf

WKR
About three months ago I asked about the 15 degree, and was told they had none on order and didn’t have a timeline. One thing I know about the KUIU site is that if they run out of a specific color way, it won’t even show as an “out of stock” option. For example, I went looking for the rangefinder holder awhile ago, and phantom gray wasn’t shown at all. I don’t understand why they operate this way, and I hate to say I’ve seen more and more of KUIU being out of stock of a lot of gear.

ben@bpetersondds

Lil-Rokslider
I just looked on the website and it’s really odd that all of their sleep system items are no longer posted. I can see a particular sleeping bag being out of stock but not sleeping bags and air mattresses etc., not to mention the link. My guessing is they are focusing on other items and moving away from sleeping bags. Just a hunch.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
OK guys I heard back from Patrick at KUIU, here’s the word:

“We are sold out of the current inventory of sleeping bags and we are in the process of redeveloping them. For updates on the sleeping bags, and information regarding new and existing products, please sign up for our emails to stay up to date.”

He went on to say it would be next year before we see them back

here's to hoping they make a great bag even better.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Yes

WM tends to have larger bags and more breathable fabrics and are slightly overstuffed naturally . FF are great but usually more slender / alpinist and maybe a bit more traditional full volume . FF are fine bags and if you value lightweight and are more of a back sleeper I’d say they work well . For side sleeping ( which I am which also tends to make down move more and also a preference for more generous cuts ) I’d take WM

aman

FNG
Yes

WM tends to have larger bags and more breathable fabrics and are slightly overstuffed naturally . FF are great but usually more slender / alpinist and maybe a bit more traditional full volume . FF are fine bags and if you value lightweight and are more of a back sleeper I’d say they work well . For side sleeping ( which I am which also tends to make down move more and also a preference for more generous cuts ) I’d take WM

Thanks!!! I am a sidesleeper so i'll go with WM

huntem

FNG
Thank you for your efforts on this review. I need to pick up a new sleep system for next fall. Almost too many variables to consider. Ha

Yes

I will disagree with this statement as an absolute. There may be instances where that is the case but you have to be sure to compare similar bags. I own both a Western Mountaineering bag (Summerlite) as well as a Feathered Friends bag (Swallow UL20).

Take the Swallow UL20 that is one of their lightweight regular length 20 degree bags and compare it to its counterpart from WM the 20 degree Ultralite

FF Swallow UL20
- weight 27oz/766g
- 6’ in length
- shoulder/hip/foot inside girth 60”/56”/38
- fill weight 16.7oz/476g

WM Ultralite
- weight 29oz
- 6’ in length
- shoulder/hip/foot inside girth 59”/51”/38”
- fill weight 16oz

An interesting note is that my WM Summerlite has the exact same girth dimensions as the Ultralite and yes, it’s definitely less conducive to side sleeping which is my preferred sleeping position. I can side sleep in the FF without any problem at all.

Sure, you can add in the Alpinelite which is a 20 degree bag but it’s geared toward being a “bigger/roomier“ bag and not their ”weight weenie/ounces counting bag” that the Ultralite was intended for. As far as the fabrics go I can’t comment on. Both are great bags. Both offer multiple models to fit your needs. You can’t go wrong with either IMO.

aman

FNG
I will disagree with this statement as an absolute. There may be instances where that is the case but you have to be sure to compare similar bags. I own both a Western Mountaineering bag (Summerlite) as well as a Feathered Friends bag (Swallow UL20).

Take the Swallow UL20 that is one of their lightweight regular length 20 degree bags and compare it to its counterpart from WM the 20 degree Ultralite

FF Swallow UL20
- weight 27oz/766g
- 6’ in length
- shoulder/hip/foot inside girth 60”/56”/38
- fill weight 16.7oz/476g

WM Ultralite
- weight 29oz
- 6’ in length
- shoulder/hip/foot inside girth 59”/51”/38”
- fill weight 16oz

An interesting note is that my WM Summerlite has the exact same girth dimensions as the Ultralite and yes, it’s definitely less conducive to side sleeping which is my preferred sleeping position. I can side sleep in the FF without any problem at all.

Sure, you can add in the Alpinelite which is a 20 degree bag but it’s geared toward being a “bigger/roomier“ bag and not their ”weight weenie/ounces counting bag” that the Ultralite was intended for. As far as the fabrics go I can’t comment on. Both are great bags. Both offer multiple models to fit your needs. You can’t go wrong with either IMO.
Thank you for the additional insight. I can check out the FF bags in person so I plan to do that.