KUIU Super Down vs. Western Mountaineering Badger, 15-degree bags

7layerburrito

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
Any particular reason you don't want the Sitka version? It has a pass through pocket on the front too.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Mostly just colors -- I don't really own camo except for a few First Lite things for Turkey hunting and it's basically sold out everywhere in my size in the green.

thbrock07

FNG
I didn't read through every post, so sorry if this has already been answered: Anyone know why Kuiu stopped making bags? Do they have plans of making more in the future?

AK Yeti

FNG
My own backyard in the winter makes for a good testbed for these bags- similar conditions to mid to late season in the high country.

The KUIU Superdown has been out since about 2014. I remember seeing the demo at the Expo that year with the down soaking in a cup. Patrick would take it out and shake it, and it would regain its fluff. KUIU built this bag around that down, so I’m excited to test it.

KUIU Super Down 850

@Ryan Avery sent me the Western Mountaineering Badger bag in November for my muzz hunt, but I didn’t yet have the KUIU so I couldn’t do a head to head

Western Mountaineering Badger 850

Looks like we have at least two nights this week with lows around the bags’ ratings and even way below if I get feeling brave.
a8369f4f1d129b2b5a8435e4b8a9457c.jpg

I’ve got the SG Skyscraper set up with my Exped air mattress.

Like previous tests I’ve done on bags, I wanted to test these bags in what I’d typically be wearing when I knew the forecast called for temps in the mid-teens. I donned my First Lite Fuse LS top, the Furnace Long John on bottom, and Brooks sweater and a pair of Smart Wool socks. I’ll also wear light gloves and a beanie.

Test starts tonight. Its KUIU first. It’s a blizzard out there right now. Can’t wait!
3731c2e5a55a1e20ca68a759db76b41b.jpg
77f5f0bf8b939ff53a8382e40120c5ae.jpg
71a26ccf9d82c5d187dcb16fc7e2b385.jpg

This is an ongoing "journal entry" type review, so if interested, hit the "watch" button upper right of lead post in full-site mode. I'll be updating info and answering questions as I get more time in the

* Update 4/1/20
Final review is published. Thanks for all your input guys. https://www.rokslide.com/kuiu-v-western-mountaineering-sleeping-bag-review/
Thanks for the write up.

Yes

WM tends to have larger bags and more breathable fabrics and are slightly overstuffed naturally . FF are great but usually more slender / alpinist and maybe a bit more traditional full volume . FF are fine bags and if you value lightweight and are more of a back sleeper I’d say they work well . For side sleeping ( which I am which also tends to make down move more and also a preference for more generous cuts ) I’d take WM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kevin,

I think in general that might be true; however, If someone was comparing the WM Alpinlite to the FF Swift 20 they would find a very similar bag and the FF Swift is actually a hair larger:

FF Swift 20

LENGTHReg 6' 0" / 183 cm
Long 6' 6" / 198 cm
DIMENSIONS64" / 58" / 40"
SHELL FABRICPertex® YFuse®
LINING FABRICPertex® 20 denier nylon taffeta

20ºF / -6.67ºC30ºF / -1.1ºC
FILL WEIGHTReg 18.8 oz / 533 g
Long 19.7 oz / 558
Reg 15.7 oz / 445 g
Long 16.4 oz / 465 g
AVERAGE WEIGHTReg 31 oz / 877 g
Long 33 oz / 928 g
Reg 28 oz / 789 g
Long 29oz / 835g
PACKED SIZE9L

WM Alpinlite 20 degree

6'0"20° F5.5"64"/55"/39"19 oz1 lb 15 oz8"x15"S

Almost to close to call, but WM has 0.2oz more of down and the FF has a 20D pertex shell versus a 12D shell on the WM.

I would be curious to know which zipper is better? I have not had experience with FF, but I know WM zippers are money.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Kevin,

I think in general that might be true; however, If someone was comparing the WM Alpinlite to the FF Swift 20 they would find a very similar bag and the FF Swift is actually a hair larger:

FF Swift 20

LENGTHReg 6' 0" / 183 cm
Long 6' 6" / 198 cm
DIMENSIONS64" / 58" / 40"
SHELL FABRICPertex® YFuse®
LINING FABRICPertex® 20 denier nylon taffeta

20ºF / -6.67ºC30ºF / -1.1ºC
FILL WEIGHTReg 18.8 oz / 533 g
Long 19.7 oz / 558
Reg 15.7 oz / 445 g
Long 16.4 oz / 465 g
AVERAGE WEIGHTReg 31 oz / 877 g
Long 33 oz / 928 g
Reg 28 oz / 789 g
Long 29oz / 835g
PACKED SIZE9L

WM Alpinlite 20 degree

6'0"20° F5.5"64"/55"/39"19 oz1 lb 15 oz8"x15"S

Almost to close to call, but WM has 0.2oz more of down and the FF has a 20D pertex shell versus a 12D shell on the WM.

I would be curious to know which zipper is better? I have not had experience with FF, but I know WM zippers are money.

WM does a better job on the zipper, but FF does a good job. WM zippers are as you stated "money" .

WM does a better job on the zipper, but FF does a good job. WM zippers are as you stated "money" .
I stand corrected. I just bought a Feathered Friends Swift 20 and the zipper is as good if not better than WM. It has the same Dacron tape, but also has this plastic piece on the actual zipper that acts as a bull dozer to push any loose fabric out of the way.

AndyB

WKR
I didn't read through every post, so sorry if this has already been answered: Anyone know why Kuiu stopped making bags? Do they have plans of making more in the future?

The Kuiu bags are back on the site.........

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
It's the off season. Guys need something to discuss lol.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

ya! Like the size of the materials tag on the KUIU is 2x3”. I highly prefer the Gen 1 3x3” tag. Materials were easier to identify and categorize and there was enough white space to take notes when tent bound on Kodiak for the 12th day. I also noticed they chose a thinner material for Gen 2 tag but in doing so they’ve reduced durability and ink retention by 3%. Completely unacceptable to this reviewer and moves Gen 2 solidly into the fail category.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stroke250

Lil-Rokslider
I just picked up the 0 degree bag. Maybe I will get to put it to use before next year, but that is yet to be determined.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    606.7 KB · Views: 48
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    270.4 KB · Views: 47

Stroke250

Lil-Rokslider
I was hoping to test this out in the backyard but we only had a few short days of cool temps(down into the teens). Hoping we get some cooler weather to test it out before next hunting season.

Well, it sounds like the kuiu bag is pretty good for the money. I plan on getting a down bag fairly soon, for certain hunts and was narrowed down to WM and feathered friends, but the kuiu is now of interest too

Idaboy

WKR
Hey man, let us know indeed what you think after you get a few nights on it and various temperatures. I’m still running mine and very happy with it. Mine is the 15.
How/why do you reconcile that the WM bag is 7 Oz more but sleeps colder? Seems odd unless it's just the fabric difference