KUIU Super Down vs. Western Mountaineering Badger, 15-degree bags

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
My own backyard in the winter makes for a good testbed for these bags- similar conditions to mid to late season in the high country.

The KUIU Superdown has been out since about 2014. I remember seeing the demo at the Expo that year with the down soaking in a cup. Patrick would take it out and shake it, and it would regain its fluff. KUIU built this bag around that down, so I’m excited to test it.

KUIU Super Down 850

@Ryan Avery sent me the Western Mountaineering Badger bag in November for my muzz hunt, but I didn’t yet have the KUIU so I couldn’t do a head to head

Western Mountaineering Badger 850

Looks like we have at least two nights this week with lows around the bags’ ratings and even way below if I get feeling brave.
a8369f4f1d129b2b5a8435e4b8a9457c.jpg

I’ve got the SG Skyscraper set up with my Exped air mattress.

Like previous tests I’ve done on bags, I wanted to test these bags in what I’d typically be wearing when I knew the forecast called for temps in the mid-teens. I donned my First Lite Fuse LS top, the Furnace Long John on bottom, and Brooks sweater and a pair of Smart Wool socks. I’ll also wear light gloves and a beanie.

Test starts tonight. Its KUIU first. It’s a blizzard out there right now. Can’t wait!
3731c2e5a55a1e20ca68a759db76b41b.jpg
77f5f0bf8b939ff53a8382e40120c5ae.jpg
71a26ccf9d82c5d187dcb16fc7e2b385.jpg

This is an ongoing "journal entry" type review, so if interested, hit the "watch" button upper right of lead post in full-site mode. I'll be updating info and answering questions as I get more time in the

* Update 4/1/20
Final review is published. Thanks for all your input guys. https://www.rokslide.com/kuiu-v-western-mountaineering-sleeping-bag-review/

Last edited:
OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Sweet, looking forward to this!

Already know you’re a brave man sleeping in Ryan’s bag...just sayin’.

Barf! Gonna have to report how it holds up to Pine-sol and bleach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
Get out there Monday night lol. Gonna be -11 here Monday night. I could send you a Kodiak 0 degree for a colder bag comparison.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
OK, I’m alive. When I went to bed it was about 23°. Got into the cold bag (KUIU) and it warmed up nicely. To note, my pillows a little too big to go full mummy mode on either bag. I can’t pull in the face opening all the way tight, so keep that in mind as that can affect the temp rating. Although, to be clear there were no drafts that I could feel coming into the bag. I just may have been able to retain heat a little bit better with the bags closed around my face.

Also, if you followed my bag tests last year, I am a cold sleeper, most people sleep warmer than I do, so keep that in mind.

By about 3 AM it dropped into the teens and my thighs started to get cold. I turned on my side and curled up a little bit thinking that would warm me up, but it didn’t. I slipped on my lightweight FL Obsidians but was still chilled on my thighs an hour later (rest of me—torso, head, feet—were fine).

So I decided it was a good time to jump in the Western Mountaineering Badger, and see if it did any better. It did not.

f66875fef0ae6bb3e45f3ee957918197.jpg

In the temp department, it was a virtual tie between the two bags and I was only able to get to 19°. No I wasn’t freezing by any means, just at the point of discomfort. If I would’ve pulled a jacket into the bag and covered my thighs, I would’ve been just fine. My feet were NOT cold. But I’m obviously nearing the limit of the bags in these conditions for a cold sleeper.

To note, I’d eaten lentil soup at 530 PM but didn’t go to bed till 1230, so pretty much an empty stomach. This affects temp ratings for most people with hunger lending to less heat generated.

A note on conditions, we had high winds all night, with gusts in the 30s. (In fact most of the schools are closed today.) You can see above the wind chill was -2° and was rarely below 20mph
d03060913b574d8e16df29159e367226.jpg

That certainly played into the warmth of the tent, as the wind comes up underneath the fly, and creates a draft in the tent that wouldn’t normally be there.

Hoping on the next night I get to test there’s no wind and the temperatures are similar and I’ll see if it makes any difference.

Also, I was sleeping on my Exped Megamat Lite MW. It’s R-value is 5.3 and rated for -4°, but from what I understand, air pads are not as warm as sleeping with no air underneath you, like on the ground or in a cot with a foam mattress. So that will be my next test on the night we have these same temperatures.

For my size, 180 lbs, 5’9”, the KUIU fits a little snugger, as in a good way. The Western Mountaineering bag had more room, and a little more dead airspace to fill. I’ll edit this post to reflect the actual bag sizes as soon as I can, but whatever they are, they were ordered for my size and they fit me.

The draft collar on on the KUIU is really easy to use although I never snapped it up because it almost doesn’t need it. I struggled with the zipper a little bit more on the KUIU , only because the draft flap gets in the way a little bit as you’re zipping it up and down. Just takes a little more learning to use, and it has a tag on it so that I was able to grip with gloves.

With the Western Mountaineering bag, there’s no tag so you have to feel around on the zipper until you get a hold of the metal tab, but it zips up and down very smoothly and doesn’t snag easily. I did not test the draft collar on this bag, simply because I got into it in the dark and didn’t really have a chance to figure out how to best use it. However, the bag seals up nicely around the neck just the way it was.

As mentioned, my pillow may be impeding the best use of both these bags, so I’ll consider that on the next test.

And if anyone cares, the KUIU is a better looking bag overall.

So I have some test parameters I need to work on next night out as described above.

I’ll also make sure I go into full mummy mode on the next night of testing.

Last edited:
OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Great information. How does the Kuiu bag compare to the Stone Glacier you tested last year?

I got that SG down to about 5 degrees but conditions weren't the same, so it's hard to say with only one night on the KUIU & WM. I tested the SG in a lot less wind than last night threw out, and on a cot with a pad that likely has a higher R-value than the Exped.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
My experience with WM is that their temp ratings have always been pretty conservative when compared to other brands in the same temp ranges. I know the term “comfort” rating and “survival” rating gets tossed around all the time. WM would be a brand that would sit closer to “comfort” rating in my opinion. Although, there are tons of other factors that go into staying warm at night in a bag.

deadwolf

WKR
Interesting to hear this comparison...I am considering the WM Versalite, similar rating but different bag to the Badger. I had heard mixed reviews about the Kuiu bags, but I do like the “feel” of them compared to other bags.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Looks like a good night to test a
15-degree bag!

183364e57b92ecced05b0c39fcc03245.jpg

Tonight I’ll adjust for those items that might have affected the first nights test:

1) I ate dinner at 7pm and ate a little more, so won’t be sleeping on an empty stomach

2) I got a smaller pillow and will go full mummy mode.

3) I am not going to swap the Exped out for a foam mattress yet. I’m going to see if I can make it with just the air mattress. If I’m still getting cold, next night I have these temps I’ll swap out that air mattress.

4) winds are forecast as very light compared to last test night.

Last edited:

sneaky

"DADDY"
15-degree bag!

Tonight I’ll adjust for those items that might have affected the first nights test:

1) I ate dinner at 7pm and ate a little more, so won’t be sleeping on an empty stomach

3) I am not going to swap the Exped out for a foam mattress yet. I’m going to see if I can make it with just the air mattress. If I’m still getting cold, next night I have these temps I’ll swap out that air mattress.

Which one are you going to start out with tonight? Temps should be good on Tuesday and Wednesday night as well.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
15-degree bag!

Make sure you shower.... Don't be getting my bag soiled!

sneaky

"DADDY"
Ryan farts in that bag to warm his thighs up Robby