Kuiu Superdown

Shrek

WKR
This the info I got from Kuiu

Hi All,

Our Superdown garments contain only 850+ Fill Power down sourced from Poland, we were able to specify this with Toray prior to application of the waterproofing agent. The hang tag was provided by Toray and is generic to all Quixdown. We believe it is specifying that they will only make Quixdown with a minimum FP of 700. Sorry for the confusion but please be assured that our down is 850+FP.

Shaun Ayers
Product Development
[email protected]
And the tight fit and uneven down distribution ?

akrdkill

WKR
glad i didn't pull the trigger either....this should be interesting.......especially at the price they want for it....i'll stick to primaloft for a bit

Craig4791

WKR
Just got mine yesterday. Only surprise to me was that it didn't seem puffy at all compared to the pictures on the website.

Ill be using this week in AZ. Temps are supposed to be in the high 20s overnight.

Ill post about how I feel about it next week.

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just got mine yesterday. Only surprise to me was that it didn't seem puffy at all compared to the pictures on the website.

Ill be using this week in AZ. Temps are supposed to be in the high 20s overnight.

Ill post about how I feel about it next week.

What part of az?

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
KUIU has not let me down yet, so I will reserve judgement until mine arrives tomorrow...the 230 was as good as advertised and never get a stink and was my go to base layer in November.

KUIU Superdown

I rarely post but I am growing tired of guys on this forum trying to act like experts who do not know what they are talking about. My Super Down hooded jacket came earlier this week. I am a retired mountaineer, sheep guide and big time gear research nut. I wanted to weigh in on some of the comments from my perspective.

The sewing and craftsmanship is every bit as good if not better than several other down products I own from other brands. 10.5 oz is unreal for a Jacket this warm.

I consider the amount of fill perfect for a layering piece which from what I read, this was Jason's intent of this product. I have a Mont Bell Alpine Light Down parka (my belay jacket) with 4.3 ounces of 800 fill and it is way too warm for mountain hunting. The stretch is amazing for a micro packable jacket and makes a huge difference in comfort compared to my Mont Bell. In comparing the two I am amazed how much more range of motion I have. The fit is perfect (not bulky) for me as I always wear a large and the large fits me perfect for layering. Not sure why Todd would want bulky arms on a hunting jacket?? And the fill in my Jacket is better distributed than my Mont bell jacket in comparing the two.

Well done KUIU! Thank you for pushing the boundaries for us hunters.

Do you guys do anything but complain on this forum. Makes me not want to be part of it! Lame!

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
stalker,

Everybody is welcome on this forum. All points of view are welcome, even if it is venting frustration. Please don't paint all Roksliders with a broad brush as whiners. There are a whole spectrum of members, and that can be seen in this thread.

I am glad to hear about your experience with the Super Down. I look forward to checking out this product myself.

OP
todd kelly
I rarely post but I am growing tired of guys on this forum trying to act like experts who do not know what they are talking about. My Super Down hooded jacket came earlier this week. I am a retired mountaineer, sheep guide and big time gear research nut. I wanted to weigh in on some of the comments from my perspective.

The sewing and craftsmanship is every bit as good if not better than several other down products I own from other brands. 10.5 oz is unreal for a Jacket this warm.

I consider the amount of fill perfect for a layering piece which from what I read, this was Jason's intent of this product. I have a Mont Bell Alpine Light Down parka (my belay jacket) with 4.3 ounces of 800 fill and it is way too warm for mountain hunting. The stretch is amazing for a micro packable jacket and makes a huge difference in comfort compared to my Mont Bell. In comparing the two I am amazed how much more range of motion I have. The fit is perfect (not bulky) for me as I always wear a large and the large fits me perfect for layering. Not sure why Todd would want bulky arms on a hunting jacket?? And the fill in my Jacket is better distributed than my Mont bell jacket in comparing the two.

Well done KUIU! Thank you for pushing the boundaries for us hunters.

Do you guys do anything but complain on this forum. Makes me not want to be part of it! Lame!

Well, I really don't think I was complaining, just making an initial observation. I'm not looking for a bulky coat as you surmised, I was just letting people know the sizing is different then the made in Canada Kuiu clothing I own. I am a pretty slender person and I chose to upsize from my normal Med to a large for this coat and I am glad I did because the coat just fits me with the base layer (150 icebreaker long sleeved T) I will be wearing under it while hunting. And my med. guide jacket fits over everything just fine.

The 700FP tag on the jacket was a fair comment/concern. Kuiu gave an explanation on it, and I am satisfied with their answer. But I feel this is a simple issue they should fix asap to help stop any doubt about whats in the jacket.

The distribution of down in my coat may just be a quality control issue and not an example of the average superdown product. I was not complaining about the fill weight, I already new what it was before buying it, I bought it as a layering piece and the baffles probably seem flat from the poor distribution of the down.

You are probably right with your comparison of the superdown being a better jacket then the mont bell. But I have never been a fan of mont bell anyways, so I will agree with you on that.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Hey Stalker,

Sounds like you have a lot to add to the site.... Great to have you on board and I hope you start sharing your knowledge with other!

Most of is know each other on Rokslide, so it would be great if we could get a proper introduction from you.

Best,

Aron Snyder

hunting1

WKR
KUIU should have kept the spindrift IMHO. I asked and they are no more. After moving operations from NA to China I think people are justified to be cautious until proven otherwise. I am no expert mountaineering, Jim Shocky, but a money spending consumer.

TRIPLE

Lil-Rokslider
I can't speak for the super down quality as I don't own one, but I do own many other kuiu clothing items and am satisfied. It seems to me that kuiu is attempting to use quality components for this product, but I believe they missed the mark a bit on execution. First, the jacket doesn't have enough fill to satisfy my backcountry needs. I can spare a few more ounces in one layer to cut out a compete other clothing item. That said, if they provide an "over fill" option in the future I'll probably buy one. (Something comparable to the Brooks Range Mojave). Secondly, the over pants are a great idea. The only problem I have is the aperent lack of durability. For a mere two or three ounces they could have reinforced the seat and leg cuffs. I promise after 1 year I would bring back a gallon zip loc bag with feathers and torn shell.

sk1

WKR
i think kuiu has had some issues in transferring their operations, unless they flat out changed their sizing of some items and didn't tell us.....some items just dont fit like they did previously. this is frustrating for the consumer of course....and i am concerned about my attack pants ive had on pre-order for 9 months, i hope they fit me well. stalker your absolutely right people at times feel like they're experts, so if they're wrong about something and you have more experience on any particular subject being discussed we'd be glad to hear about it im sure....right now the kuiu threads in general are not really the greatest to read as the hurt feelings some people have from kuiu moving carry over into all reviews being negative and people bashing kuiu anyway the can......really annoying, but i guess we just need to weather the storm and wait for people to settle down and get over it. i am not saying i like the fact they moved overseas, but nothing i do will change it, i wont be losing any sleep over it, or looking to bash their products anytime their is an opportunity.

dotman

WKR
I get a kick out of how many people get hurt feelings over neg Kuiu press, almost like a kick in the nuts! :) It would be awesome if more of the lurkers joined in and added to the site. This is probably the least negative/whiny forum I have been on but we all aren't PC, that's why we have Ryan stalkin the site in his green tights keepin us inline :)

Shrek

WKR
Kuiu my spec this and that but the Chinese are notorious for cutting corners. Besides , I'll just buy the knockoff stuff out of the same plant for half the price by summer.

sk1

WKR
I get a kick out of how many people get hurt feelings over neg Kuiu press, almost like a kick in the nuts! :) It would be awesome if more of the lurkers joined in and added to the site. This is probably the least negative/whiny forum I have been on but we all aren't PC, that's why we have Ryan stalkin the site in his green tights keepin us inline :)

it's not about hurt feelings, i could care less and am not an avid kuiu supporter although i have things of theirs i definitely like, as well as some i dislike and will be returning/selling. its more about the fact that the same people keep posting their same negative thoughts over and over and over and over and over and over again in every kuiu thread. we get it, we understand how those people feel, now move along unless you have something different to add.....if it's negative like the gear performed poorly for you, that's just fine, say it. however, to constantly read the same people saying the same thing in every thread gets old quick. this initial post was about a consumer with a concern about his kuiu gear and took a quick onramp to a kuiu bash session rather than hearing more superdown reviews.

dotman - we know your an avid supporter of made in usa products, and that's awesome!! i try to be when i can, but lets be honest it's not always possible. so now that we know you hate kuiu, dont like camo, and want made in usa (all clearly stated many times) now go do it. let us know if you find some good stuff and give us your thoughts on that instead of going back to the same thing again.

sorry for derailing the thread, anyone that feels the urge to continue this conversation feel free to pm me

dotman

WKR
it's not about hurt feelings, i could care less and am not an avid kuiu supporter although i have things of theirs i definitely like, as well as some i dislike and will be returning/selling. its more about the fact that the same people keep posting their same negative thoughts over and over and over and over and over and over again in every kuiu thread. we get it, we understand how those people feel, now move along unless you have something different to add.....if it's negative like the gear performed poorly for you, that's just fine, say it. however, to constantly read the same people saying the same thing in every thread gets old quick. this initial post was about a consumer with a concern about his kuiu gear and took a quick onramp to a kuiu bash session rather than hearing more superdown reviews.

dotman - we know your an avid supporter of made in usa products, and that's awesome!! i try to be when i can, but lets be honest it's not always possible. so now that we know you hate kuiu, dont like camo, and want made in usa (all clearly stated many times) now go do it. let us know if you find some good stuff and give us your thoughts on that instead of going back to the same thing again.

sorry for derailing the thread, anyone that feels the urge to continue this conversation feel free to pm me

Haha, I though you would be able to take some light hearted jokes, don't think I said anything about made in USA, camo, etc in this thread :). Just laughing that for once I didn't say much other then a few jokes and the op gets hammered for an actual concern from someone's first post stating he is whiny, classic.

sk1

WKR
sent you a pm, can continue this there if you like so we dont ruin the thread anymore than i already have