KUIU system for my hunt?

Hey all, Heading to Wyoming early September for a high country mule deer hunt.
Boots, pack and sleep system I’m all set, going to rent a pair of NL Pure’s for optics (maybe a spotter too).

What I’m not sure about is a clothing system. I have and like the Attack pants I own from KUIU, and would like to support them with my next purchases.

The Attack pants have likely seen the end of their useful life, so I’ll be getting new ones.

If you were looking to build a system from the ground up with KUIU, what would you get?

Keep in mind, this will be the base of what I build off of for future Western big game hunts as well. I’m in the beginning stages of planning a caribou hunt in ‘25 and hopefully a Kodiak blacktail hunt in ‘24.

Thanks!

Bump79

WKR
If it was me I was mix and match brands. Kuiu has some great stuff but there's so many good brands now. Plus, some non-hunting companies clothing out performs hunting brands or is just as good for way less markup. Also, buy something you will utilize in your home state. Save as much money on clothing as you can hunt more.

Baselayers - 125-150 gsm Merino 1/4 zip top and merino zip off bottoms. Not a huge fan of Kuiu Baselayers
Midlayer - Kuiu Peloton 200 is my favorite for September and I typically layer it. 97 is awesome for the weight but is not as durable.
Pants - So many good options out there but just run the Attacks. Outdoor Research and Prana have good options for non-hunting brands. Sitka Timberline or FL Corrugate Guide for later season hunts.
Packable Down - In my opinion for down you have to spend some real coin to tell the difference in performance on down. The difference between a $300 Kuiu down jacket or a $50 Eddie Bauer or Gerry is not that significant IMHO. I've heard Decathlon is great for the money.
Rain Shell - Kuiu Chugach is tough to beat for high country western hunts and would work great for a top.
Rain Pants - I rarely pack rain pants.

JDZ

WKR
At 10,000 ft elevation, for the first 10 days of September in Wyoming, I’ve used the following Kuiu:

145 merino 1/4 zip shirt,
145 merino zip off bottoms,
Tiburon top (I have since subbed this with a 125 merino crew neck)
Tiburon pants,
Chugach rain gear,
Merino neck gaiter.

Along with any old non name brand off the clearance rack:
fleece jacket,
down jacket,
Ball cap,
Beanie.

Sometimes I wore only a base shirt and Tiburon pants. Sometimes I wore literally every piece of clothing I had, including the rain pants.

I like Kuiu merino base layers. I had a hooded super down jacket and sold it to replace with Eddie Bauer and Kryptek jackets. I don't really use the Tiburon 1/4 zip shirt, although I think I'd like a button up one.

fatlander

WKR
Sitting behind glass first thing in the morning can get chilly, even in early September. I’d make sure you’ve got enough to be warm while glassing for the first few hours of the day. If you’re close enough to your camp while glassing you could use your sleeping bag as a quilt for those first few hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PRC_GUY

WKR
I never hunt in September, I have no ideas what to tell you , all I can say is wish the the best on your hunt .

OP
Jacob Chapman

This is straight from the horse’s mouth. Take a look and adjust as necessary.
That’s very handy, been all over their website and hadn’t come across this. Thank you!

Is this too similar to the guide jacket to buy both? I know the answer from you gear junkies :)
They're different.

The 240 is fairly light and does a very good job at blocking the wind at most encountered speeds and it is fairly durable. It is also about 1/2 pound lighter than the Guide jacket. The Guide jacket is a softshell and does a decent job at shedding moisture and blocking wind.

For hunting I'd take the 240 (which I own two - hooded an non-hooded) over the Guide. This is especially true if camp is on my back.

If someone wanted a Kuiu soft-shell, they'd be better served with the Axis or a former Kutana (not rain gear version).

kpbrown31

FNG
They're different.

The 240 is fairly light and does a very good job at blocking the wind at most encountered speeds and it is fairly durable. It is also about 1/2 pound lighter than the Guide jacket. The Guide jacket is a softshell and does a decent job at shedding moisture and blocking wind.

For hunting I'd take the 240 (which I own two - hooded an non-hooded) over the Guide. This is especially true if camp is on my back.

If someone wanted a Kuiu soft-shell, they'd be better served with the Axis or a former Kutana (not rain gear version).
Cool, thanks for the rundown!

For an early season, high country Mule deer hunt I personally value versatility in my clothing. You are going to experience everything from cold, stationary glassing in the morning to (hopefully) a long sit over a bedded deer in the direct sunlight.

I use largely Kuiu. I've tried many brands (both hunting and general outdoor/backpacking) but Kuiu just seems to fit my body type best, especially the pants. Everyone is different, runs hotter or colder than the next guy, wants hoods on everything or on only on outer layers and so forth. What works for one won't necessarily be great for the other. Here is a breakdown of what I'd carry, happy to provide more detail where I can if you'd like:

Tops:

Base Layer: I like merino over synthetic personally in the 125 to 150 range for early season. Long sleeve for sun protection. This an area where you can find good value and performance in other brands. I'm actually still searching for the brand I like most, Kuiu is okay. Have tried First lite, Black Ovis, Stone Glacier, Smartwool, and just ordered a Canis merino top to try. All are okay and have pros/cons.

Mid-layer: The Peloton 97 is great for its warmth to weight and super packable. If you run hot you can probably get by with it as your lone mid-layer in early season. The strong fleece stuff I really like and can be added in addition to the 97 or as your stand alone mid-layer. It is more durable and still fairly light but doesn't pack down as well. The Peloton 240 blocks wind well and adds a good amount of insulation but doesn't pack down well. I actually find it to be closer to an outer layer for me combined with a 97 than a mid-layer.

Insulation: For early season I like the hooded Super Down Ultra. It packs down to nothing and adds just enough warmth that time of year. I have heavier down of non-Kuiu brands that I use on colder hunts. If you run cold you might want more than the Ultra for those cold morning glassing sessions.

Outer layer: I personally carry a rain jacket (Chugach) as my outermost layer and wind block for early season. With the lighter mid-layer and insulation (Peloton 97 and Super Down Ultra respectively) I like the added warmth and wind blocking of a rain jacket with added bonus of protection for a down pour. Some guys don't carry rain gear but I justify it by counting on it as part of my insulating system.

Bottoms:

Base Layer: I use either King's camo zip off merino bottoms (can't remember the weight) or Peloton 97 bottoms. The King's are much more comfortable than the Kuiu merino in my opinion. The Kuiu has a velcro strap on the waist that is uncomfortable to me, whereas the King's doesn't and has a more comfy blend.

Pants: I love the Attack Pants but find them too warm for the hotter times of day during early season. If I could use only one pant it would be the Kutana. They are plenty warm when combined with a base layer during colder times of day, but light enough that I don't overheat during warmer times. They are also more durable than the Attacks to me.

Insulation: If you run warm you may not need this layer. I personally carry the Super Down Ultra pants as they pack down to nothing and weigh very little. To me the weight penalty is minimal enough to carry them for extra comfort if I start getting cold glassing. If you run cold and want a more substantial down pant I'd look at Goose Feet Gear. He makes custom pants to your measurements and with your desired amount of down for about the same as the Kuiu Super Down Pro Pants, maybe even a bit less.

There are many good brands and some good values out there so don't feel like all of your stuff has to be Kuiu. I use a lot of it and it's great gear but in places you can find similar performance for less money, particularly in non-hunting specific brands. Happy to go into more detail on Kuiu stuff where I can.

Last edited:

209hunter

Lil-Rokslider
This has been my base system for early season high country hunts and it has served me well. I sometimes add a vest into this system if I think I'll need it. I really prefer the Kutana pants over the Attacks, they are lighter, more durable and more comfortable IMO.

145 zip off bottoms, Kutana pants, Northridge rain pants.
145 half zip long sleeve, Peloton 200 hoodie, Kenai Jacket, Northridge rain jacket.
Peloton 210 gloves and Peloton 240 beanie.

I prefer Kutana as well. They breath much better when hiking in warm weather than Attacks and dry faster. 145 zip offs for bottoms. When it’s gets cold I have a pair of cheap fleece pants as mid layer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ikeG

FNG
I find the guide jacket kind of useless, especially for September hunts. Like mentioned, its heavier and less versatile than other options from kuiu.
I have the attack and the pro pant. I don't think I've worn the attack pant since purchasing the pro.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

OP
Jacob Chapman
I find the guide jacket kind of useless, especially for September hunts. Like mentioned, its heavier and less versatile than other options from kuiu.
I have the attack and the pro pant. I don't think I've worn the attack pant since purchasing the pro.

I like the looks of the Pro pant, how are the knee pads?

ikeG

FNG
I like the looks of the Pro pant, how are the knee pads?
I was worried that they would be bothersome during hiking or hot weather, but its not like that. Where they really shine is bivy-type hunting, where you are setting up and breaking down camp every day. On your knees a bunch