KUIU System Questions

This looks a lot like what I was going to build. Do you ever feel like you would need an Axis jacket for windier days or riding an atv?
I'd probably just put my Kutana Rain jacket on.

An Axis jacket isn't a bad idea though.

Also, if you want a second base layer go peloton 97. Crazy lightweight and very warm

OP
K

Keener22

Lil-Rokslider
I'd probably just put my Kutana Rain jacket on.

An Axis jacket isn't a bad idea though.

Also, if you want a second base layer go peloton 97. Crazy lightweight and very warm
I have Sitka DewPoint rain gear, I can try that but there’s no extra insulation to it.

I keep considering the Axis, because in my Sitka system I absolutely love the Jetstream. I hike in wearing a Tshirt and the LW Hoodie then throw it on whenever I stop and it keeps me warm to freezing temps unless the wind is really bad.

So far I have the Kutana pants and the 97. I’ll probably get a 125 base layer from the outlet and then either a Peloton 240 or Strongfleece 260, just can’t decide which one.

I have Sitka DewPoint rain gear, I can try that but there’s no extra insulation to it.

I keep considering the Axis, because in my Sitka system I absolutely love the Jetstream. I hike in wearing a Tshirt and the LW Hoodie then throw it on whenever I stop and it keeps me warm to freezing temps unless the wind is really bad.

So far I have the Kutana pants and the 97. I’ll probably get a 125 base layer from the outlet and then either a Peloton 240 or Strongfleece 260, just can’t decide which one.
They're both awesome and don't think you can go wrong with either. I have the 240 and the 280 and my cousin has the 260.

What I like about the 240 over the 260 is the 240 is full zip.

OP
K

Keener22

Lil-Rokslider
They're both awesome and don't think you can go wrong with either. I have the 240 and the 280 and my cousin has the 260.

What I like about the 240 over the 260 is the 240 is full zip.
Yes I think I would have preference for the full zip too, especially over the 97 hoodie

Venom One

WKR
For me the Peloton 118 was a bust for a base layer. It just runs a little too hot for my taste, but I'm used to hot September days and I opted for the Ultra 125 instead.

The 97 is an awesome piece and my favorite thing KUIU makes. If I'm moving around and the sun is out, I'm fine with just the 97 + base layer down to about 40.

I feel the same way about the 118. The material is fairly thin, but it seems to hold a lot of heat and not dry very fast.

I have a King's 1/4 zip that sounds a lot like the 97 and it gets a lot of use. The 240 Peloton is great for colder/windy days, but a light grid fleece like the 97 is the ticket for those cool 40-50 degree mornings.

OP
K

Keener22

Lil-Rokslider
If any one has additional input on vests I would appreciate it too. They seem fairly popular but I guess I don’t really get the point. I can’t think of a situation where a vest would be more beneficial than a full layer, no matter the weight or material.

jdinville3

Lil-Rokslider
I didn't care for the next to skin feel of the 118.

The 97 is basically a fleece shirt.

I get hot moving almost at all in the 240. It blocks most wind while being a little breathable. For me, it wouldn't make sense to wear the 97 under it. The arms are fairly snug in my 240.

I don't have either jacket but have heard the guide doesn't block wind very well. I would have an axis, if I wasn't carrying an actual rain jacket.
I've had both the Guide and 240, recently sold the Guide and wear the 240 more. The 240 cuts the wind way better than the Guide (my experience anyways) so that is my outer shell. The arms are snug and it makes some noise, but I'd say the 240 is a must have along with my 97. Absolutely my top 2 piece of Kuiu I have with me.

I don’t have experience with Sitka but I’m doing Kodiak next year and I’m doing 118 long sleeve with either 240 or 260-280 strong fleece, then puffy then either rain gear or guide jacket. Most likely rain gear so I don’t Carry soft shell as extra weight. Temps will be 30-50 with heavy rain and wind. I always go to my puffy when I’m glassing.
Scrap the Guide.

Bring both the 240 and your rain jacket. There are times you want the wind cutting but not necessarily the calmness (let the rain jacket dry out).

Do look at bringing a down puffy.

Kuiu Setup

Pants - Neutral Solids
* Kutana all day every day. Best and most durable pant that I have come across.
* Pros for colder temperatures. It is the pant (potentially minus the kneepads) that the Attacks should have been. While Attacks are comfortable, the material picks too easily.

Shirt - Solid or Preferred Camo
* Peloton 118 Zip-T. Nice to be able to dump some additional heat by unzipping.

Mid Layer - Preferred Camo
* StrongFleece 260 (if you want a hood) or 210 (if you do not want a hood. Good warmth and pretty durable. While I have a Peloton 97 it has been relegated to sleep ware. Man up and carry an additional 6 ounces on the 210 to get a real step up in warmth over the 97. Peloton 97, Guide jacket and Attack pants are the most overrated Kuiu items based upon my experience.

Jacket - Solid or Preferred Camo
* Peloton 240. Love mine and it goes damn near everywhere. Does a nice job at cutting the wind. Would not rely upon it solely for warmth. Doesn’t feel clammy like wearing a rain jacket for cutting the wind.
* Axis. Do not use when camp is on your back. But all other times it works great especially if going through nasty stuff that will destroy your rain gear.

Miscellaneous - Solid
* Puffy. I strongly recommend grabbing a quality down puffy for glassing sessions. Lots of options out there on this.

OP
K

Keener22

Lil-Rokslider
Kuiu Setup

Pants - Neutral Solids
* Kutana all day every day. Best and most durable pant that I have come across.
* Pros for colder temperatures. It is the pant (potentially minus the kneepads) that the Attacks should have been. While Attacks are comfortable, the material picks too easily.

Shirt - Solid or Preferred Camo
* Peloton 118 Zip-T. Nice to be able to dump some additional heat by unzipping.

Mid Layer - Preferred Camo
* StrongFleece 260 (if you want a hood) or 210 (if you do not want a hood. Good warmth and pretty durable. While I have a Peloton 97 it has been relegated to sleep ware. Man up and carry an additional 6 ounces on the 210 to get a real step up in warmth over the 97. Peloton 97, Guide jacket and Attack pants are the most overrated Kuiu items based upon my experience.

Jacket - Solid or Preferred Camo
* Peloton 240. Love mine and it goes damn near everywhere. Does a nice job at cutting the wind. Would not rely upon it solely for warmth. Doesn’t feel clammy like wearing a rain jacket for cutting the wind.
* Axis. Do not use when camp is on your back. But all other times it works great especially if going through nasty stuff that will destroy your rain gear.

Miscellaneous - Solid
* Puffy. I strongly recommend grabbing a quality down puffy for glassing sessions. Lots of options out there on this.
Awesome feedback. Thank you. Do you size up the 240 and/or Axis in order to fit those bases underneath?

Jimss

WKR
I don’t leave home without rain jacket and pants. They not only work great in rain/snow but are excellent wind blockers. I also love a wind stopper quiet cloth vest A vest works amazing for added warmth if worn under a jacket while glassing or outside over thinner layers when active.

I really like my guide pants and a guide jacket would also be nice. Just wear a rain jacket if it gets too cold in the wind.

There are so many layer options available. It’s nice to have a selection to pick and choose from.

I love hoods on my jackets and base layers. Hoods not only cut wind but also super intense sun during summer scouting and fall hunts. Keep your options open for super hot intense sun, rain, snow, and wind. Pitzips are a must on all my jackets.

It’s pretty easy to simply add another layer if you are too cold but you may be screwed if all your clothes are too warm and you are sweating!

Don’t overlook other brands. One of my favorite all time shirts is cabelas heavier micro fleece. They not only wear like iron but are pretty warm and dry quickly.

OP
K

Keener22

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t leave home without rain jacket and pants. They not only work great in rain/snow but are excellent wind blockers. I also love a wind stopper quiet cloth vest A vest works amazing for added warmth if worn under a jacket while glassing or outside over thinner layers when active.

I really like my guide pants and a guide jacket would also be nice. Just wear a rain jacket if it gets too cold in the wind.

There are so many layer options available. It’s nice to have a selection to pick and choose from.

I love hoods on my jackets and base layers. Hoods not only cut wind but also super intense sun during summer scouting and fall hunts. Keep your options open for super hot intense sun, rain, snow, and wind. Pitzips are a must on all my jackets.

It’s pretty easy to simply add another layer if you are too cold but you may be screwed if all your clothes are too warm and you are sweating!

Don’t overlook other brands. One of my favorite all time shirts is cabelas heavier micro fleece. They not only wear like iron but are pretty warm and dry quickly.
I always have my Sitka rain gear with me, somewhere. It’s straight goretex, so it’s very loud and I wouldn’t want to wear it unless absolutely necessary if I was moving in on an animal. For glassing or riding, it works great for the wind.

I’ve looked at the vests from both KUIU and Sitka so far. Would you say a puffy vest is a worthwhile investment (particularly in the conditions I listed) or should I consider going straight to a down jacket first?

I like pit and hip vents on my stuff too, I definitely look for those when I’m making decisions.

For Kuiu and your hunt, I'd go:

Peloton 97 Zip-away bottoms
Kutana Pants
Merino Tee Shirt (you choice in sleeves and weight)
Strongfleece 260 Hoodie

Possibly the Kenai jacket if you'll be hiking. (One of my favorites).

I'd keep using your Sitka rain gear, and Jetstream. No need to add a Kuiu softshell jacket. I'd choose the Sitka Kelvin Lite Down jacket for the puffy. Kuiu's Super Down Pro is nice too. Lighter, not quite as warm or durable.

OP
K

Keener22

Lil-Rokslider
For Kuiu and your hunt, I'd go:

Peloton 97 Zip-away bottoms
Kutana Pants
Merino Tee Shirt (you choice in sleeves and weight)
Strongfleece 260 Hoodie

Possibly the Kenai jacket if you'll be hiking. (One of my favorites).

I'd keep using your Sitka rain gear, and Jetstream. No need to add a Kuiu softshell jacket. I'd choose the Sitka Kelvin Lite Down jacket for the puffy. Kuiu's Super Down Pro is nice too. Lighter, not quite as warm or durable.
Are the zip off bottoms worth buying if I already have other base layer bottoms? I picked up the Sitka merino LW bottoms a couple weeks ago with their sale.

Is there a reason you would pick the strongfleece over the peloton? I already have the Peloton 97 hoodie, and with two hoodies it could be a pain. Or I just don’t wear them together.

I will be getting the Kelvin from Sitka at some point. Partly from reviews/recommendations, and partly because my Sitka discounts are better.

If you have a nice baselayer bottom you already like, save your money. For me, I won't own any more baselayer bottoms that don't zip-away. The peloton 97 would be my choice because it's a late season hunt. Otherwise I'd be using merino. The peloton 97 makes nice sleeping wear too if you are cold camping.

The Strongfleece option is nice because it's a more durable face, has a kangaroo pocket, and is warmer for late season. I typically only wear one hooded later (not counting rain gear). It sound like you already have some good gear for these hunts.

OP
K

Keener22

Lil-Rokslider
If you have a nice baselayer bottom you already like, save your money. For me, I won't own any more baselayer bottoms that don't zip-away. The peloton 97 would be my choice because it's a late season hunt. Otherwise I'd be using merino. The peloton 97 makes nice sleeping wear too if you are cold camping.

The Strongfleece option is nice because it's a more durable face, has a kangaroo pocket, and is warmer for late season. I typically only wear one hooded later (not counting rain gear). It sound like you already have some good gear for these hunts.
Yeah I have some good Sitka gear to build off of. I wanted to try some KUIU stuff and the Valo pattern. Almost all of my Sitka is in subalpine and I think Valo will be better for certain areas where I’m at.

Jimss

WKR
Vests are nice as long as they are quiet cloth used as an outer. They vent your arms very well used as an outer. Vests also save a bit of bulk and weight compared to jackets with arms. If you get a vest with decent insulation they keep your core warm and toasty.

I don’t have zippers on any of my base layer bottoms. Saves weight and it’s no big deal taking my boots off to take them off/on.

I’m always searching for ways to provide less bulk and weight. Traveling on airlines and lugging layers around on my back. When truck camping/hunting I have bins full of clothing options.

One other consideration many don’t think about is camo patterns. I ALWAYS try to wear different camo patterns and colors on top vs bottoms. This breaks up the human profile. I also set my clothes out where I’m going to hunt and choose the ones that blend in the best.

IMO, you don’t need the Axis or Guide jackets. Not great layering pieces IMO. Base layer, mid weight layer, then the 240 For your outer piece. If you need added protection cold temps or rain then the Super Down Ultra and your outer rain jacket (Chugach for me).

This has been my setup for the last 4 years which in included a very late October Alaska moose/bear hunt, another fall Alaska bear hunt, and 2nd rifle at over 10kft Colorado elk hunt. It’s the most flexible setup for me. I love the Guide jacket, but it is not a great layering piece. Too bulky/heavy.

OP
K

Keener22

Lil-Rokslider
IMO, you don’t need the Axis or Guide jackets. Not great layering pieces IMO. Base layer, mid weight layer, then the 240 For your outer piece. If you need added protection cold temps or rain then the Super Down Ultra and your outer rain jacket (Chugach for me).

This has been my setup for the last 4 years which in included a very late October Alaska moose/bear hunt, another fall Alaska bear hunt, and 2nd rifle at over 10kft Colorado elk hunt. It’s the most flexible setup for me. I love the Guide jacket, but it is not a great layering piece. Too bulky/heavy.

It seems like alot of people seem to recommend this type of setup over using softshell jackets like the Axis, Guide, Jetstream, etc. I'm not trying to start a debate by any means, because I'm asking for advice with no experience on the matter. But doesn't carrying a down jacket and rain jacket create more of a burden and more layers to take on and off than a softshell, if conditions allow for it? My climate here in SW NM is very warm and dry. During my November hunt, I will more than likely experience no rain at all, and it could be almost 80 degrees and no clouds if we get hit with a warm spell. January might bring a flurry or two, but again, more than likely no rain. It will be windy on that hunt, and I definitely see the purpose of a down jacket in the morning. In my limited experience, a softshell is good at filling both roles but not great at either. Additionally, if I were bow hunting, there's no way I could put on a stalk in my current rain jacket in calm conditions.