KUIU System Questions

Keener22

Lil-Rokslider
I'm looking for some input on a KUIU system I am putting together for hunts this fall and winter. I've been doing some browsing on here and other places trying to decide on which number between 97 and 280 of KUIU shirts to buy. I hold two tags in Southern NM, one in November and one in January. November temps average 30-70 where I will be, personally I think it could even be a bit warmer. In January, temps average about 25-60 in that area, but it could be pretty cold when the wind is bad. I want to spend efficiently but I understand that I probably won't be able to get it all with just a few pieces. If it helps, I have already built a decent Sitka system, so I'm familiar with a lot of their stuff so I can mix that in. Here are my choices so far:

Kutana Pant (will probably get Attack or heavier for the later hunt)
Peloton 118 LS (or Sitka LW LS)
Peloton 97 (I considered the Gila hoody here, but it doesn't seem like a great fit for the Jan. hunt)
Peloton 240 (As a wind breaking shell over the 97, again mostly for the Jan. hunt)

If I were to choose a true outer jacket, is the Axis or Guide more suited for this application? I can't find much difference in the two except that the Axis is probably a bit more insulated. I also considered picking up something like the 240 vest for morning glassing once I get stationary, but like I said I'm trying to be cost efficient and not carry around 4 different mid layers.

Also, if anyone has sizing recommendations for any of those pieces, I would appreciate it.

For me the Peloton 118 was a bust for a base layer. It just runs a little too hot for my taste, but I'm used to hot September days and I opted for the Ultra 125 instead.

The 97 is an awesome piece and my favorite thing KUIU makes. If I'm moving around and the sun is out, I'm fine with just the 97 + base layer down to about 40. That said, I grew up poor in the Midwest so my body is used to below zero wind chill waiting for the school bus in less than optimal clothing.

On top of that, I have a puffy and rain shell. The puffy comes out for any glassing and the rain shell might come out for glassing in nasty cold wind.

Jr4

Lil-Rokslider
Personally I use merino wool, prefer it over Peloton
The Strongfleece as a mid layer
Down vest I use a cheap Redhead from bass pro, has treated me well, and rain gear for the wind
Paints in that temp range katana would be my choice, with pro merino wool base, easy to take off when it gets warmer

BBob

WKR
Peloton 97 Hoody is my favorite mid layer. I always have it on or in my pack. Most everything else is merino. Can't tell you why the 97 is my favorite but it is and many also think so. I use light merino as a base with the 97 over. I'll add a heavier weight merino on top of the 97 when it gets cold enough. I have a Gila and a Sitka Core LW Hoodie. Neither are a substitute for the 97, they might go over the 97 and supplement the 97 but never replace it and the 97 will always make it in the pack where those others may not.

Western_hunter87

Lil-Rokslider
240 is a good outer layer for early season or a mid layer when it’s colder. decent wind block but not 100% in my opinion. 97 is a layer I wear on almost every trip. Then I use my heavy merino layer 220. I think. It’s like 6 years old. Guide jacket is new to me and I like it. I’m used to cali temps

OP
K

Keener22

Lil-Rokslider
For me the Peloton 118 was a bust for a base layer. It just runs a little too hot for my taste, but I'm used to hot September days and I opted for the Ultra 125 instead.

The 97 is an awesome piece and my favorite thing KUIU makes. If I'm moving around and the sun is out, I'm fine with just the 97 + base layer down to about 40. That said, I grew up poor in the Midwest so my body is used to below zero wind chill waiting for the school bus in less than optimal clothing.

On top of that, I have a puffy and rain shell. The puffy comes out for any glassing and the rain shell might come out for glassing in nasty cold wind.
If I were to have the 97 on in the morning while I’m moving, would I be better off to have a 240 jacket/vest for glassing or should I jump straight to a puffy? I have the Sitka Dew Point rain gear, it’s great for rain but super thin and very loud to actually hunt in.

OP
K

Keener22

Lil-Rokslider
Personally I use merino wool, prefer it over Peloton
The Strongfleece as a mid layer
Down vest I use a cheap Redhead from bass pro, has treated me well, and rain gear for the wind
Paints in that temp range katana would be my choice, with pro merino wool base, easy to take off when it gets warmer
How has the strongfleece worked out for you? Would something like the Strongfleece 280 be better or worse for a soft shell outer layer than the 240?

OP
K

Keener22

Lil-Rokslider
Peloton 97 Hoody is my favorite mid layer. I always have it on or in my pack. Most everything else is merino. Can't tell you why the 97 is my favorite but it is and many also think so. I use light merino as a base with the 97 over. I'll add a heavier weight merino on top of the 97 when it gets cold enough. I have a Gila and a Sitka Core LW Hoodie. Neither are a substitute for the 97, they might go over the 97 and supplement the 97 but never replace it and the 97 will always make it in the pack where those others may not.
Which merino base do you choose for those temps? The 125 or 145? I don’t have a lot of time in merino but I’ll definitely be adding the 97 to my kit with the recommendations here.

OP
K

Keener22

Lil-Rokslider
240 is a good outer layer for early season or a mid layer when it’s colder. decent wind block but not 100% in my opinion. 97 is a layer I wear on almost every trip. Then I use my heavy merino layer 220. I think. It’s like 6 years old. Guide jacket is new to me and I like it. I’m used to cali temps
If I wanted something 100% windproof for the late season, would I be better off skipping the 240 for a different mid layer and the Guide/Axis?

Last season I ran a Sitka LW SS and Sitka LW Hoody when I was hiking in the morning. Once I sat down I would just throw on my Jetstream and it was perfect for the temps I was in.

Western_hunter87

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t have experience with Sitka but I’m doing Kodiak next year and I’m doing 118 long sleeve with either 240 or 260-280 strong fleece, then puffy then either rain gear or guide jacket. Most likely rain gear so I don’t Carry soft shell as extra weight. Temps will be 30-50 with heavy rain and wind. I always go to my puffy when I’m glassing.

BBob

WKR
Which merino base do you choose for those temps? The 125 or 145? I don’t have a lot of time in merino but I’ll definitely be adding the 97 to my kit with the recommendations here.
Always 125 regardless of temps. They’ve replaced the 125 with the 120 LT. There was some 125 in the outlet awhile ago.

Jr4

Lil-Rokslider
How has the strongfleece worked out for you? Would something like the Strongfleece 280 be better or worse for a soft shell outer layer than the 240?
Can’t go wrong with either strongfleece is just a warmer option, I use both

I didn't care for the next to skin feel of the 118.

The 97 is basically a fleece shirt.

I get hot moving almost at all in the 240. It blocks most wind while being a little breathable. For me, it wouldn't make sense to wear the 97 under it. The arms are fairly snug in my 240.

I don't have either jacket but have heard the guide doesn't block wind very well. I would have an axis, if I wasn't carrying an actual rain jacket.

OP
K

Keener22

Lil-Rokslider
Always 125 regardless of temps. They’ve replaced the 125 with the 120 LT. There was some 125 in the outlet awhile ago.
You find the 125 still worth it even with the 97 over top? Or would I be too warm when moving?

OP
K

Keener22

Lil-Rokslider
I didn't care for the next to skin feel of the 118.

The 97 is basically a fleece shirt.

I get hot moving almost at all in the 240. It blocks most wind while being a little breathable. For me, it wouldn't make sense to wear the 97 under it. The arms are fairly snug in my 240.

I don't have either jacket but have heard the guide doesn't block wind very well. I would have an axis, if I wasn't carrying an actual rain jacket.
I was planning on using the 240 basically like a outer glassing layer when conditions allow for it. I’d most likely just be wearing one of the lighter base layers with the 97

BBob

WKR
You find the 125 still worth it even with the 97 over top? Or would I be too warm when moving?
All depends on the temps. I add or remove the 97 as needed. I treat the 97 as a mid layer. I like the feel of merino on my skin over synthetic by a lot even though the 97 is pretty soft inside. Too many days with synthetic and my skin crawls, merino never an issue. With intermittent creek baths and rinsing the merino I can easily go 10 days (mby more) without stinking or feeling too grubby. That goes a long ways in staying happy packed in somewhere.

Go with the axis over guide. Guide does not break the wind well at all. I normally run a merino base, and endero LS(not offered anymore) and the Axis. If it's below freezing add in puffy, and if the wind is really kicking top it off with a rain jacket. I have gotten ride of all of my guide line items.

OP
K

Keener22

Lil-Rokslider
Go with the axis over guide. Guide does not break the wind well at all. I normally run a merino base, and endero LS(not offered anymore) and the Axis. If it's below freezing add in puffy, and if the wind is really kicking top it off with a rain jacket. I have gotten ride of all of my guide line items.
Sounds like what I’ve heard about the guide jacket. I’ll definitely consider getting rid of a heavier mid layer in favor of an Axis and a puffy

This is my system minus raingear and it has worked great for me. Super simple and pretty minimal.

Bottoms:
145 Merino
Attacks
SuperDown Ultra

Tops:
145 Merino
240 or 260/280
SuperDown Ultra Hooded

I use this 95% of the time. I have other pieces I sprinkle in but these are my Go-To pieces.

I hardly ever use my guide jacket really.

OP
K

Keener22

Lil-Rokslider
This is my system minus raingear and it has worked great for me. Super simple and pretty minimal.

Bottoms:
145 Merino
Attacks
SuperDown Ultra

Tops:
145 Merino
240 or 260/280
SuperDown Ultra Hooded

I use this 95% of the time. I have other pieces I sprinkle in but these are my Go-To pieces.

I hardly ever use my guide jacket really.
This looks a lot like what I was going to build. Do you ever feel like you would need an Axis jacket for windier days or riding an atv?