KUIU Taku Bag vs Baggage Handler

I wonder if anyone here has actual experience using a Taku bag as checked baggage for hunting. I'm contemplating that, but unsure if the Taku has any weaknesses or would be prone to failure with those 'grab and toss' guys loading a plane.

Feedback?

Trees91

WKR
I use my 5500 every fall to fly to Anchorage then Anchorage to Iliamna. Haven’t had a problem yet. I try not to keep anything fragile in it. Camera and binos come with me in carry on.

#1antler

Lil-Rokslider
I have the TAKU 9000 and use it to carry my loaded backpack as checked baggage. Once in camp it's my dry bag storage. I would recommend the next size smaller though as the 9000 is huge

LightFoot

WKR
I use the TAKU9000 for my pack and other gear. It is pretty tough. It has survived a couple airline trips. Like said above, it is huge, but I like the extra room.

I load it with a fully packed kuiu6000 bag and frame along with camp food, sleep system, travel clothes (for the flight home), and other stuff I probably don't need.

>>>----JAKE----->

7mmremmag

Lil-Rokslider
I make my own similar bag with the same type of 420D double rip stop, ykk uretek, etc. The material is very strong. It is not a hard case bag but I would not worry about their durability.

7mmremmag

Lil-Rokslider
I don't have a taku but I have made numerous bags with the same material and zipper combo and they have all been plenty durable. The taku is a soft sided bag, so if you understand the limitation of soft bags in airports and pack accordingly you'll have nothing to worry about. I really like working with that material, enough so that when RSBTR stopped selling it I bought the remainder of their inventory in coyote color.

Attachments

• 20200212_221819.jpg
    20200212_221819.jpg
    274.1 KB · Views: 51
I’m 1 for 2 with a Taku and commercial airlines. Fantastic for float planes but I’m not trusting them to commercial anymore.

Attachments

• 705CD2CA-D933-423E-91AA-01291A7EDBDB.jpeg
    705CD2CA-D933-423E-91AA-01291A7EDBDB.jpeg
    339.1 KB · Views: 110
  • 3183DEB5-30A3-478B-9736-2989D142DDEE.jpeg
    3183DEB5-30A3-478B-9736-2989D142DDEE.jpeg
    356.2 KB · Views: 106
I put my fully packed backpack inside of mine for Alaska last year. I actually used 2 Taku 9000s. I put backpack inside the first one with the zipper on harness side of the bag and then flipped the entire Taki/Backpack over and stuffed it inside the second Taku bag. So I now had two layers of protection, opposing zipper faces to make unwanted entry by someone more difficult but to also make it less likely/more difficult for water entry in the event the outer bag opened or tore. I had zero issues with the baggage handlers or commercial airliners. Worked great.

260C21DF-64EF-48A0-9DE4-960FC4FA604F.jpeg

cbeard64

WKR
I’m 1 for 2 with a Taku and commercial airlines. Fantastic for float planes but I’m not trusting them to commercial anymore.

Wow! That view makes the bag appear not very well constructed/sturdy. I have used a large Cabela’s dry bag duffel for 15+ years and many airline trips with no issues. It is very substantial in construction.

HoneyDew

WKR
Can you put in a claim with the airline? It broke on the seams but the other tears are obviously in the middle of the bag and not poor workmanship. This looks like it got run over.

Wow! That view makes the bag appear not very well constructed/sturdy. I have used a large Cabela’s dry bag duffel for 15+ years and many airline trips with no issues. It is very substantial in construction.
It happened in SAN Francisco So I’m not convinced the people there didn’t help it along a bit with the destruction. I had no issues with it on the way up and I didn’t go through San Fran.

Can you put in a claim with the airline? It broke on the seams but the other tears are obviously in the middle of the bag and not poor workmanship. This looks like it got run over.
Yes I did file a claim and 4 months later I had my items replaced. Haha

Did they cover the full cost of the Taku? Was there anything damaged inside the Taku?
Yes they covered new price for everything. New taku bag, exo 5500 had frame bent in half, tripod head trashed. Definitely got ran over or hung up on the conveyer. In no way was I trashing the Taku bag itself, but I think there are better options for commercial flights. I really like the SG duffles.

HoneyDew

WKR
Yes they covered new price for everything. New taku bag, exo 5500 had frame bent in half, tripod head trashed. Definitely got ran over or hung up on the conveyer. In no way was I trashing the Taku bag itself, but I think there are better options for commercial flights. I really like the SG duffles.
Damn. Yeah I’d be pissed. Glad they covered it. What airline (shaming is due)? Silver lining is that it happened on the way FROM instead of TO. Yeah I considered the Taku as a backpack dry bag basically. Is that accurate? I was looking at one for commercial travel also but the duffels are also an option. This is the worst Taku flying experience I’ve seen so it’s definitely an airline issue.

The question to ask yourself is what is your intended purpose of the bag?

My primary purpose was solely to protect the contents from getting wet sitting on the tarmac in between flights. No cordura duffel bag is able to do that. My freind I went with tried using a cordura duffel and his bag got soaked in melting fish juice from a poorly packed fish box in the cargo hold during the flight. He got to wear fish soaked clothes for his 10 day moose hunt. No thanks... it has to be waterproof or really water resistant.

The secondary purpose was to prevent damage during transport.

The third purpose was to have an additional bag to use in case I needed it to bring home a cape or additional items back.

Last edited: