Kuiu Talus pants or Axis pants

Rommy

Lil-Rokslider
So the thread title says it all. I’m trying to find a pant for late season. To help me choose, l will mainly be hunting in my home state of AZ (but with plans of hunting out of state) where it can be cold desert with plants that want to grab and claw you, or high altitude snowy Sierra landscape.

The breakdown of each is that: both have waterproofed knee and butt fabrics, similar to the Sitka timberline that everyone loves.

The talus is about the same warmth as the timberlines, but it is also waterproof from the knee down. I think Ryan Avery himself said he prefers the talus over the timberline because it almost eliminates the need for gaiters. These appeal to me because I feel like the waterproof material will prevent gnarly nasty vegetation like catsclaw from tearing into me. On the downside, this might making hiking through brush a lot louder.

Also, I want solid color pants and the talus look pretty dumb with the waterproofing a different color from the knee down than the rest of the pants. Stupid to care, but I care nonetheless.

IMG_6566.jpg

The axis pants have the waterproof butt and knees but not from the knee down. However, they are warmer, some comparing them to the kuiu guide pants, but with extra waterproofing.

I’m not really concerned about either being too warm because they both have awesome side vents to dump heat. Also, the difference in price is negligible.

Anyways, what’s everyone’s opinion? I do value all of your opinions as I’m sure you’re much more knowledgeable and experienced than me.

Thank you,
Tom

jgreen798

FNG
I purchased the Axis pants and ended up returning them for the Guide pants. The Axis pants made more noise than I would have like when walking when the waterproof areas on the legs rubbed together. Also because the price difference between the Guides and the Axis was about 50 bucks at the time I think? The material warmth between the Guides and the Axis seemed to be about the same.

I know this may not have answered your question, just giving my experience.

Both are awesome I have both and it has to be sub 15° for me with the axis. I have run the talus from 55° down to single digits with base layer.

Both are super comfy but the axis is like wearing sweatpants with waterproof butt and knees imo. I think they are really quite for what they are, way quieter that the talus. I have many days with the talus and maybe 10 with the axis.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

OP
R

Rommy

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone else run either one of these? I asked jay Scott on one of his q&a sessions on Instagram and he said he pretty much exclusively runs the axis pants

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I used the Talus pants a bunch this year. Because I hate gaiters. I used them down to single digits, they are warmer than I expected and the material above the knee breaths really well. They also did fantastic in the wet brush. On the days it did rain they dried out quickly. The Axis pants would appeal to me if they were totally waterproof below the knee. But they just look like a warmer Timberline pant to me. Someday someone will make a totally waterproof pant from the knees down.

I used the Talus this year and there a solid pant. Probably have 70 days in them so far. Water proof butt is awesome and the breathable material water resistance is pretty good too. Solid color is kinda dumb looking so I went with camo. Thinking I might get another pair before they discontinue them lol. They have a 30 inch waist and inseam that can be let out which is nice for us tall skinny fellas.

robie

WKR
I ordered a pair of the Talus and sent them back. I didn't like how stiff they were. They could stretch over time.

I'm a huge fan of the Attack pants and love the stretch in them. I ended up wearing layers underneath and being just fine.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I ordered a pair of the Talus and sent them back. I didn't like how stiff they were. They could stretch over time.

I'm a huge fan of the Attack pants and love the stretch in them. I ended up wearing layers underneath and being just fine.

They get way better after a couple washes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Benjblt

WKR
So the thread title says it all. I’m trying to find a pant for late season. To help me choose, l will mainly be hunting in my home state of AZ (but with plans of hunting out of state) where it can be cold desert with plants that want to grab and claw you, or high altitude snowy Sierra landscape.

The breakdown of each is that: both have waterproofed knee and butt fabrics, similar to the Sitka timberline that everyone loves.

The talus is about the same warmth as the timberlines, but it is also waterproof from the knee down. I think Ryan Avery himself said he prefers the talus over the timberline because it almost eliminates the need for gaiters. These appeal to me because I feel like the waterproof material will prevent gnarly nasty vegetation like catsclaw from tearing into me. On the downside, this might making hiking through brush a lot louder.

Also, I want solid color pants and the talus look pretty dumb with the waterproofing a different color from the knee down than the rest of the pants. Stupid to care, but I care nonetheless.

View attachment 86950

The axis pants have the waterproof butt and knees but not from the knee down. However, they are warmer, some comparing them to the kuiu guide pants, but with extra waterproofing.

I’m not really concerned about either being too warm because they both have awesome side vents to dump heat. Also, the difference in price is negligible.

Anyways, what’s everyone’s opinion? I do value all of your opinions as I’m sure you’re much more knowledgeable and experienced than me.

Thank you,
Tom
So did you get one?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

chocolab

Lil-Rokslider
Following
3+ year old thread lol. But I'll say this to contribute. the talus or axis are substantially warmer than the timberlines IMO. I think timberlines are the most overrated pants out there. they are just a basic double weave softshell with waterproof knees (with pads) and butts. IMO the talus and axis are better in every way for a late season pant. they have hip zips, better pockets, a better fit (for me anyway), are lighter, more weather proof overall, and probably cost less for most folks. I have the solid color talus and actually really like them. YMMV