Kuiu tents

I am in the market for a new tent but not sure on which one.
I am pleased with all my kuiu gear and have narrowed my tent selection on either the mountain star tent or the refuge 3.

I am having trouble finding much info about the refuge tent. If anyone has some personal experience, It would be greatly appreciated if you shared with me. Quality, weight, size, ease of use, practical, etc
Tha ks

Bearsears

WKR
Can I ask why you want to go with a Kuiu tent as opposed to a more dedicated tent maker? What's your main use, wants, needs?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

OP
Dlbuttram21
After lots of research I am a fan of what I have found out so far and love the quality of their other products.
I do want a shelter that has a nest and floor. Also looking for lite weight to hunt western states with.
What would you suggest? Sounds like you are not a fan.

JNDEER

WKR
Have the refuge with maybe 10 nights in it mostly in bad weather. Held a two day rain storm just fine. Super high winds it held up- but somehow my old original version of the zip in pipe holder ripped some and when I burnt the stove in the morning it warped the holder. The tent held up fine and KUIU replaced the pipe holder with a newer model.

Much more a two person and gear tent. If you use the tub/mesh the two people are a tight fit- but our gear under the vestibule and us stayed dry during the rain.

My usual tents are BA flycreek tents a 2 man and 4 man. I like the 4 man for all the extra room (for 2 guys)- but because it is heavier I have used the kuiu tent a little more recently.

edit- read your last post after i typed mine. For western states and if you want a tub/mesh I don't know if I would trust it for crazy western state storms (snow, rain, wind). Maybe someone else has used it during those conditions will chime in. For two guys and gear in bad weather I would pack an extra pound for a BA tent (just have more experience with that brand and it has never failed me so I stick with it). For two guys in regular weather I would have no issue with the Kuiu.

Last edited:

IdahoElk

WKR
I have the Mountain star and it has so far been fine in moderate rain. The two man tent is perfect for one plus gear,two would be pushing it.Think mine weighs 3lbs.

Bearsears

WKR
It's not necessarily that I'm not a fan. I have some Kuiu items that I love. I just think their wheelhouse is more clothing. I would suggest you look at a couple of Seek Outside options:

1. The Silex- one person tent with large vestibules can add a nest and even a stove jack for a small wood burning stove.

2. Eolus a little larger 2 person shelter and you can add a nest. The difference on this one is the vestibules dont pitch completely to the ground so they dont offer it with a stove option.

3. Silvertip 1p or Cimarron 2p-3p. These are bomber shelters that can stand up to any hunt. They have stove jacks and I think the Silvertip has a nest option I know the Cimarron does.

As example a Silex with a nest would weigh 33oz plus stakes and cordage and it would cost you $378 or $433 with a stove jack.

Not to knock on Kuiu at all but Seek Outside is better materials better construction (for tents and packs) and made in Colorado. Just wanted to give you some ideas. Also I'm admittedly a Seek Outside fanboy lol. I own an Eolus with a nest. I use the Eolus for September bow hunts. I use the nest when my wife backpacks with me. I also have a Redcliff with a stove that my friends and I pack in for later season hunts. Sorry for the long winded post.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

OP
Dlbuttram21
Thanks for the input guys.
I should elaborate to the post to clarify my needs.
I definitely need one for two men and at least vestibule area for gear. We don’t need the stove feature but would be a consideration.
Just looking for a great 2 man tent for elk hunting. Also I do get a discount from kuiu that helps on cost

OP
Dlbuttram21
Generally a October hunt is what we do. With potential for September’s archery hunts as well.

JDB9818

WKR
Thanks for the input guys.
I should elaborate to the post to clarify my needs.
I definitely need one for two men and at least vestibule area for gear. We don’t need the stove feature but would be a consideration.
Just looking for a great 2 man tent for elk hunting. Also I do get a discount from kuiu that helps on cost

I recently purchased the Mtn Star 2 man tent. I have set it up but haven't spent a night in it yet so I can't really comment on much. I admittedly am a Kuiu fan but I have a lot of gear from other brands so I wouldn't necessarily call myself a fanboy. The build quality looks good and I think I'm going to like it.

To your above quote it would say that even though they list this as a 2 man tent, unless you REALLY LIKE your hunting partner this probably isn't the one for you. I bought it for me and gear, that's it unless my wife joins me.

I think you'll find most 2 man tents are pretty small. You would probably like the room of a 3+ person tent if you plan on sharing that space with a hunting partner.

OP
Dlbuttram21
That’s what I was worried about. We use a three man now and it works great just a cheaper heavier tent than what I want. That’s why the refuge was on the list to gain more space.

OP
Dlbuttram21
I would like to try one. Just ain’t sold on the single wall tents yet. Seems like a lot of moisture aggravation. I would like the room it offers

Bearsears

WKR
With the nests they are the same as any other tent. The shelter then basically becomes your rain fly. You pitch it so that it is up off the ground like a normal tents rain fly is because the bathtub floor of the nest is protecting the sides just like a normal tent with a rain fly design. When pitched this way there is no more condensation than any other tent.

Where you run into the condensation is when you pitch it tight to the ground because you aren't using a nest and you need/want the weather and draft protection. Stoves and liners take care of condensation pretty well in these scenarios. When we go late season with the stove I pack in a little sponge just in case so I can wipe down the inside if we have condensation but usually the stove keeps everything pretty dry.

I must agree with others here. Screw the Chinese...but a Kifaru shelter...something made in the USA. Personally for those months I find my Stratospire 2 to be just fine. It's big and only weighs 3.5lbs.

AKDoc

WKR
I have a 2P KUIU Mountain Star that I have used for the past five years for sheep hunts with my daughter, and solo for remote pack-raft floats. It has done well in some typical Alaska bad wx, and it vents well. My daughter (adult) is a "small but mighty" build, so we fit just fine in that tent. It would be pretty tight with another adult guy, but I really don't like sharing a tent these days anyway...too many heavy snoring friends over the years. If you do get the Mountain Star, I encourage you to treat it every year with a silicone spray, which is what I have done for five years.

I've got to add, that the Mountain Star is not my favorite tent, but it is my lightest. I love my SO 4-man with titanium wood stove and my Hilleberg Staika which is f-ing bomb-proof!
InkedIMG_2299_LI.jpgKagaticamp2016.JPG
KUIUtent2015.sheep.JPG