Kuiu Tents??

Hey Guys,

I have a trip to Kodiak Island coming up. We will be flown into the alpine, so an UL tent set up is not what is needed. I want to take a 2 man tent so i have more room for gear storage, etc. main goals: dryness and durability in the face of strong winds.

My current 2 man tent is an about 10 year old Marmot Catalyst 2p... pretty good 3 season tent, but i am not 100% confident in it for the rigors of Kodiak, and i plan on returning to alaska as often as i can.

If i had the cash on hand i would love to get a Hilleburg, i am a big proponent of, "buy once, cry once," BUT i do have a decent little gift card balance at Kuiu. granted this is not the first place i would go for a tent if money was no object but it is and having this gift card i am wondering about grabbing a Storm Star 2P tent set up.

thoughts on this decision? has anyone tried a storm star? is it worth picking one up for about 500 bucks (after my gift card balance) or should i just bight the bullet and spend the extra cash on a Hilleberg or something else?

thanks for your thoughts!

Hunter

AKDoc

WKR
You're on track in your reasoning, and I'm sure you'll get some differing perspectives.

My friend has a Storm Star and I have a Mountain Star that I got when they first came out. We've been on several ten-day packraft floats together with the tents set-up next to one another. On a strictly visual comparison, the Storm Star design definitely appears to be a potentially stronger option of the two. Don't get me wrong, I really like my Mountain Star for sheep hunts and weight sensitive trips...in fact, I'll be back-packing with it for a few days this week. It has never let me down, and even held a light snow-load on one sheep hunt.

That said, Kodiak is a unique and beautiful place, but the wx can be absolutely brutal...day after day. The only tent that I will ever bring to Kodiak is my Hilleberg Staika...it has been truly bombproof for me multiple times in some very hellacious wx. Prior to getting my Hilleberg eight or so years ago, I always brought a NF Mountain-25 to Kodiak.

I guess that's my long-winded way of saying that if you're going to buy a bomb-proof tent with primarily Kodiak in mind, give the Hilleberg's another look. I like the Staika/Allak design, and it vents extremely well so condensation is not a problem. I've heard from others that some of the other design models may not vent as well, but I don't know that first hand. Yup...buy once, cry once!

You are going to have a great adventure on the Rock (Kodiak). Best of luck to you!

HuntNTag

WKR
I have a storm star. I think the thing is pretty damn bomb proof. I like the external setup points in case you set it up in the rain. I think the room of it is solid and the quality is what I would expect from Kuiu. I think you would be very happy with it.

I do not have experience with a Hilli to compare to but I wouldn’t hesitate to buy that kuiu tent again.

I just ordered and received the mountain star for some warmer backcountry hunts because I liked the storm star so much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
HunterMcWaters
You're on track in your reasoning, and I'm sure you'll get some differing perspectives.

My friend has a Storm Star and I have a Mountain Star that I got when they first came out. We've been on several ten-day packraft floats together with the tents set-up next to one another. On a strictly visual comparison, the Storm Star design definitely appears to be a potentially stronger option of the two. Don't get me wrong, I really like my Mountain Star for sheep hunts and weight sensitive trips...in fact, I'll be back-packing with it for a few days this week. It has never let me down, and even held a light snow-load on one sheep hunt.

That said, Kodiak is a unique and beautiful place, but the wx can be absolutely brutal...day after day. The only tent that I will ever bring to Kodiak is my Hilleberg Staika...it has been truly bombproof for me multiple times in some very hellacious wx. Prior to getting my Hilleberg eight or so years ago, I always brought a NF Mountain-25 to Kodiak.

I guess that's my long-winded way of saying that if you're going to buy a bomb-proof tent with primarily Kodiak in mind, give the Hilleberg's another look. I like the Staika/Allak design, and it vents extremely well so condensation is not a problem. I've heard from others that some of the other design models may not vent as well, but I don't know that first hand. Yup...buy once, cry once!

You are going to have a great adventure on the Rock (Kodiak). Best of luck to you!
thanks man! yea i have heard the weather on Kodiak specifically can be "next level" which i why i am being very thoughtful about shelter and i may decide to upgrade... thanks for you input. thoughts on the Nallo 2 GT?

OP
HunterMcWaters
I have a storm star. I think the thing is pretty damn bomb proof. I like the external setup points in case you set it up in the rain. I think the room of it is solid and the quality is what I would expect from Kuiu. I think you would be very happy with it.

I do not have experience with a Hilli to compare to but I wouldn’t hesitate to buy that kuiu tent again.

I just ordered and received the mountain star for some warmer backcountry hunts because I liked the storm star so much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the input brother!

AKDoc

WKR
thanks man! yea i have heard the weather on Kodiak specifically can be "next level" which i why i am being very thoughtful about shelter and i may decide to upgrade... thanks for you input. thoughts on the Nallo 2 GT?
I prefer the design of two separate side entries with each having a vestibule. I have no first-hand experience with a Nallo. Do some research on it...I think it was one of the designs with some condensation feedback, but I'm not sure.

OP
HunterMcWaters
I prefer the design of two separate side entries with each having a vestibule. I have no first-hand experience with a Nallo. Do some research on it...I think it was one of the designs with some condensation feedback, but I'm not sure.
good point. will do.