Kuiu Ultra 4000

ppelham

FNG
Thoughts on Kuiu ultra 4000? Going on my first back country hunt this fall. Plan is to spike camp. Is this bag enough for a 7-8 day hunt? Thanks!

That depends on how lightweight and minimalist you are as well as the climate. I can do 5-7 days...maybe a bit more...with my Exo 3500 (which is 4200 cu in) and be comfortable down to 15-20ish degrees. My gear is pretty dialed in though.

The other people I go hunting or backpacking with could never make it happen without a larger pack. I guess one could use the load shelf, but I’m not sure I would want to do that or what I’d put in there.

Usi05

WKR
Can be done I bet if you use load shelf to put camp between pack and frame. I use a 5500. Tried a 7000 but was worried I would just pack too much.

As poster above mentioned, it will really come down to how dialed your gear is and how much room it takes.

Happy to send some pics of my gear and 5500 if you think it would help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gexpro

WKR
Classified Approved
ULTRA 4000 for 7-8 days can be done but you will be pretty much maxing it out between gear and food.

I use and prefer the 5500 for 6+ day hunts. Just enough space and staying ultra light.

OP
ppelham

ppelham

FNG
Pics would be great! I think my gear is pretty dialed. But who knows until you get there I guess. I’ve already got the pack. Figured I’d ask before upgrading. Group or 4 going so can split up the tent a couple ways

gexpro

WKR
Classified Approved
I can take a bunch of photos tomorrow as an example, to give you an idea of what I bring on just about every single hunt.

down jacket/pants and down sleeping bag are your friend, they pack down small and weigh nothing.
I use the KUIU 30 Degree bag, and have pro down jacket and pant. I use the idea of bringing a 30 degree bag because they weigh less than a 15 degree bag and pack down smaller.. i often run into temps that drop below 30; i remedy this by wearing my down layers while in my bag if needed.

If you can get in the mindset of having multi purpose items out of your choice in gear, you will see a huge improvement in less weight and packability.

The item that takes up 70% of my pack space internally, is food. I myself still need to find a happy medium in this category. I tend to over pack food thinking im going to smash 3k calories per day but that's just not the case for me. I have ended up way over packing food on several occasions and ultimately paid the weight penalty for that.

This year will be the year i really really focus on healthier food i LOVE to eat while in the back country, and correction portions. In my honest opinion, food is very overlooked and is the most bulky/heavy thing we all pack. It is something that should be really dialed in from all aspects.

Tent is either a Seek outside Dyneema Cimmaron, or a KUIU Mountian star 2p - Depending on the hunt or application.
Thermarest X Therm sleeping pad

Cooking system is a BRS-3000 Stove, Evernew titanium pot, small fuel canister can get me 6 days 1 boil per day no issues what so ever, can maybe stretch 2 boils per day.

Last edited:
It’s a little small for that many nights. It’s perfect as a big daypack and for 3-4 night trips.

Pics would be great! I think my gear is pretty dialed. But who knows until you get there I guess. I’ve already got the pack. Figured I’d ask before upgrading. Group or 4 going so can split up the tent a couple ways
Have you gone on any “overnight” backpacking hunting or hiking trips yet?

Usi05

WKR
Hope this is helpful.

Missing some of my gear as my chair, kill kit including game bags are in my car that my girl is currently driving.

Kuiu bag has supertarp and annex with msr stakes.
Blue bag has EE 20 quilt, Klymit lightweight pad, pillow and quilted klymit sheet. Only thing missing is my Bivy sac of tyvek which are easy about half a lb.
orange bag has 4 houses in it. I would have significantly more food then this and two smart water bottles with another 32oz platypus bag.
In my black bag is Sitka Celsius midi, Sitka heavyweight, gloves, face mask, beanie, extra pair of darn tough socks, wrangler outdoor pants, and black ovis merino boxers.

Tripod and attachment are in front pouch with water supplies.

Gaiters are in there as well as my quicksilver rain coat.

I’d say I’m missing about 3-4#’s of gear and would easily have another 2# of food per day plus going in with full amount of water.

Usually I can pack a bit better. There are guys out there that can certainly get it done better.

I’d guess my pack weight for a trip you are describing to be 45# give or take a few loaded up with food and water.

94f3e0c233e6a5c53ceef5d21ec0aa00.jpg

ab1e5096db966e0ab8ff4ec59a61230b.jpg

fcb2851698d49bb79bc152d026b0447b.jpg

141ae5130c65a7493412ef3b7ef2396b.jpg

5247b723bc6f1d7e590edfd999cb2dea.jpg

42db73227b04f75f45f60c0651e18d96.jpg

OP
ppelham

ppelham

FNG
Y
Have you gone on any “overnight” backpacking hunting or hiking trips yet
I can take a bunch of photos tomorrow as an example, to give you an idea of what I bring on just about every single hunt.

down jacket/pants and down sleeping bag are your friend, they pack down small and weigh nothing.
I use the KUIU 30 Degree bag, and have pro down jacket and pant. I use the idea of bringing a 30 degree bag because they weigh less than a 15 degree bag and pack down smaller.. i often run into temps that drop below 30; i remedy this by wearing my down layers while in my bag if needed.

If you can get in the mindset of having multi purpose items out of your choice in gear, you will see a huge improvement in less weight and packability.

The item that takes up 70% of my pack space internally, is food. I myself still need to find a happy medium in this category. I tend to over pack food thinking im going to smash 3k calories per day but that's just not the case for me. I have ended up way over packing food on several occasions and ultimately paid the weight penalty for that.

This year will be the year i really really focus on healthier food i LOVE to eat while in the back country, and correction portions. In my honest opinion, food is very overlooked and is the most bulky/heavy thing we all pack. It is something that should be really dialed in from all aspects.

Tent is either a Seek outside Dyneema Cimmaron, or a KUIU Mountian star 2p - Depending on the hunt or application.
Thermarest X Therm sleeping pad

Cooking system is a BRS-3000 Stove, Evernew titanium pot, small fuel canister can get me 6 days 1 boil per day no issues what so ever, can maybe stretch 2 boils per day.
Super helpful thank you. This is similar to my current setup. I’ve got down pants and jacket for glassing. Figured I’d sleep in them as well. Debated getting a tent with stove but going to pas this year

I’ve squeaked out 4 nights 5 days out of a ultra 4000 for an ultralight coastal elk hunt.

Hammock, top and under quilts, dyneema tarp
System was dialed with no real extras and no room to spare until food was eaten.

just depends how light and compact you want to go. The next year I bought a pro 7800 and I will flat out tell you I’d haul the weight just for the flexibility of having more space. You can make that 7800 tiny and run it without a lid clean enough.

OP
ppelham

ppelham

FNG
I’ve squeaked out 4 nights 5 days out of a ultra 4000 for an ultralight coastal elk hunt.

Hammock, top and under quilts, dyneema tarp
System was dialed with no real extras and no room to spare until food was eaten.

just depends how light and compact you want to go. The next year I bought a pro 7800 and I will flat out tell you I’d haul the weight just for the flexibility of having more space. You can make that 7800 tiny and run it without a lid clean enough.

That’s what I’m looking for. I won’t be going that minimalist anyway. I will just have to
Upgrade. Thank you

Could look at that new pro lite pack. The pro packs are heavier it just depends on the organization you are after along with weight.