Kuiu ultra 5500 or 7200

socoalt

WKR
I am in need of a larger capacity bag for this season. Kuiu no longer makes the Ultra 6000. Looking for reviews of the ultra 5500 and the 7200. Anyone have any experience with either? I have a couple of 7-10 day trips this year. Thanks

IMO it totally depends on your gear list. I did a 7 day early season elk hunt out of an 1850 with camp in a dry bag in the meat shelf.

I decided I’d like to have a larger bag for longer or late season hunts, if you read on here it seems like guys prefer as large a bag as possible. I tend towards the minimalist side and found a YouTube video of a guy with a 5200 pulling out stuff like an axe, Bluetooth speaker, fishing pole, etc, which solidified my decision to go with the smaller pack.

If you’re the kitchen sink type, go big, personally I hate wide packs that get hung up on brush and prefer to go light and fast.

FWIW the 5500 with the lid is massive. I’m planning to convert the snow collar top closure to a roll top dry bag style and either leave the lid off completely or use it as my bear bag for food.

OP
S

socoalt

WKR
Hearing that the 5500 is massive helps. I like the streamline design of the ultra series and am no thrilled with the pockets on the side of the 7200. Thanks for the insight.

I've used a 6000 a fair amount and I've filled it with no room to spare, but I bring lots of comfort. The bad thing about the 6000 was it only had one side pocket. I'm getting a 5500 myself as soon as there's any kind of sale.

Does anyone know why they stopped making the ultra 6000? I just bought one off the classifieds and it seems like it’ll be a great bag just curious what happened

Drakester

FNG
For what it’s worth my brother in law replaced his 5500 with the larger bag because he wanted his sleeping bag inside the pack and not strapped to the outside.

Does anyone know why they stopped making the ultra 6000? I just bought one off the classifieds and it seems like it’ll be a great bag just curious what happened
IDK but I always hated that it only had the one side pocket. I bought a 5500 to try this season, but keeping the 6000 for now.

I did think the single pocket was strange. Besides that how did you like the pack? I hunt whitetails, and will be doing one mule deer or elk trip to Colorado a year, so it won’t be seeing too much work.

keller

WKR
I have the 7200 I like the pockets for organization knowing where everything is makes it easier.the side pockets are nice can put a spotting scope or water bladder on one side and rifle on the other.I have only filled it once for a camping trip with my son carrying all the gear and large sleeping bag.and if your not carrying alot of gear it compresses down small.

eamyrick

WKR
This is good to hear. I just bought a Ultra 4000 for my do everything bag. I liked the 3200 icon but didn’t need the rifle carrying system on the back and like the extra volume of the 4000. I plan on running food in a dry bag also.

IMO it totally depends on your gear list. I did a 7 day early season elk hunt out of an 1850 with camp in a dry bag in the meat shelf.

Clarence

WKR
Just got the 7200 2 month's ago. It fits my whole late season kit nicely leaving plenty of room for 7 days of food. Like the pockets as well. Wait a little and they might be in the outlet with them just releasing the pro line...

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

emohns8

FNG
Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
[/QUOTE]
I am in need of a larger capacity bag for this season. Kuiu no longer makes the Ultra 6000. Looking for reviews of the ultra 5500 and the 7200. Anyone have any experience with either? I have a couple of 7-10 day trips this year. Thanks

I have the 5500 and when you open the top portion of the bag right up it is huge, I usually do 7 day trips and have plenty of space for what I bring.

ChrisAU

WKR
Anyone know how much weight a 5500 can lose by shedding the lid?

Well FedEx surprised me with my new pack at lunch and I weighed the Ultra 5500 lid real quick, 4.5 oz on the dot. So removing it if you don't need it puts you very close to the Ultra 4000 in weight, within a couple oz.