Kuiu Ultra Down Jacket VS Kenai Ultra jacket

I purchased the ultra down at an expo this past week and it showed up today in the mail. I have to return it because of a small hole in the sleeve and got to thinking about if I want to change to the kenai.

While this down ultra seems like a nice coat, it seems not quite as warm as I’d like but I used it today shooting my bow in 21 degree in the shade and I didn’t get cold so maybe it is perfect for the early morning archery/rifle glassing.

But before calling kuiu on Monday, I wanted to get your guys thoughts on the Kenai vs Down. Does the Kenai pack down anywhere near the ultra down?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For me, down goes backpacking as an outer layer and sometimes gets used as a mid layer when it’s super cold. The kenai gets worn everywhere except backpacking, but I would probably bring it if it was going to be really wet. I get a ton of use out of my kenai but not much out of the down. Kenai is one of my all time favorite Kuiu pieces, but really depends on what you plan to use it for. Down by itself is probably a tad warmer because it’s less breathable, but under an outer layer it’s a toss up imo.

And no, Kenai does not pack down anywhere close to down.

Wireman07

Lil-Rokslider
The down is extremely warmer than the synthetic kenai. The down is going to be more for sitting and glassing or stationary hunting. The kenai will keep you comfortable when its cold when your hiking, or keep you warm by itself when the temps arent to cold

success

WKR
The down is extremely warmer than the synthetic kenai. The down is going to be more for sitting and glassing or stationary hunting. The kenai will keep you comfortable when its cold when your hiking, or keep you warm by itself when the temps arent to cold

I agree with this. The Kenai is great for everything. I bought a cheap down puffy for glassing and sitting.

OP
T

My main reason for getting the ultra down was for when I get to a hunting spot or glassing spot and want to stay warm while I sit there for 1-4 hours during archery (Aug-sept at 9000-11000 ft elevation). I tend to get cold fairly easily

Wireman07

Lil-Rokslider
My main reason for getting the ultra down was for when I get to a hunting spot or glassing spot and want to stay warm while I sit there for 1-4 hours during archery (Aug-sept at 9000-11000 ft elevation). I tend to get cold fairly easily

You will probably want the ultra down then, and it also compresses alot better than the Kenai and will be warmer for glassing sessions

jhm2023

WKR
I own the Kuiu ultra and pro down jackets as well as the Kenai. For all of my backpack style hunts I take the down because its lighter weight, more compressible, far warmer and a little noise is less of a concern. When I bow hunt or any hunting in thick brush where noise is a big concern I take the Kenai. It isn't as warm but it is really quiet. I don't hike around much while wearing my down unless its close to 0* or colder because it's just too hot and doesn't breathe as well as the Kenai. I like hiking in my Peloton 240 fleece and put on my down when I stop if needed.

OP
T
I own the Kuiu ultra and pro down jackets as well as the Kenai. For all of my backpack style hunts I take the down because its lighter weight, more compressible, far warmer and a little noise is less of a concern. When I bow hunt or any hunting in thick brush where noise is a big concern I take the Kenai. It isn't as warm but it is really quiet. I don't hike around much while wearing my down unless its close to 0* or colder because it's just too hot and doesn't breathe as well as the Kenai. I like hiking in my Peloton 240 fleece and put on my down when I stop if needed.

Exactly what I’m thinking... kuiu merino short sleeve, then peloton 240 for most early morning hiking and down to keep warm when still.

But I’m struggling to find a good rain jacket for backpack style hunts

Sounds like down is the right choice for your hunt.

On another note, I find the kenai to be warmer when layered under a rain jacket compared to the superdown. It’s got quite a bit more loft, so with a good wind resistant outer layer it’s really toasty.

OP
T
Sounds like down is the right choice for your hunt.

On another note, I find the kenai to be warmer when layered under a rain jacket compared to the superdown. It’s got quite a bit more loft, so with a good wind resistant outer layer it’s really toasty.

Interesting... in a backpacking trip, where weight and space is a concern, would you take the Kenai or down ultra?

Interesting... in a backpacking trip, where weight and space is a concern, would you take the Kenai or down ultra?

Definitely the down. The only exception would be if it was super cold where I would be hiking in with the kenai on. If it was me, I would buy Kuiu kenai because it’s an awesome piece and there’s not much that comes close to it IMO. Then get a $30 Costco down jacket or similar because it will do exactly the same thing as the Kuiu down. I returned my superdown and bought the kenai instead because although the superdown is nice, it’s about the same as cheap down and not worth the extra dough for me.

OP
T
Decisions decisions... Kenai one second, ultra down the next lol.

Skull10

WKR
Care to elaborate? I got an ultra in today that I bought in the classifieds last week, holy smokes is that thing thin!
I got rid of my Super Down two weeks ago, it's too light. I didn't get much warm out of it while winter camping. I had the non hooded version.

I'm going to try the Kuiu Kenai hooded version next.

Benjblt

WKR
I've tried the Ultra down. Seemed pretty sweet but went with the Arc'teryx Cerium LT as it has 3.5 oz of down fill. Kuiu really should up their fill on these things. 2.5 oz just isn't much.

I have two of the older versions of the Kenai. I love them other then they aren't the most durable. I think they are just more versatile then the down. You can take less of the other layers depending on the situation. My plan for this years September bow hunt in the wilderness is to take the Kenai and then two base layers around 145 to 170 weight. Just skip the 200+ base layers all together. I think that's some of the versatility the Kenai provides.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
T
I've tried the Ultra down. Seemed pretty sweet but went with the Arc'teryx Cerium LT as it has 3.5 oz of down fill. Kuiu really should up their fill on these things. 2.5 oz just isn't much.

I have two of the older versions of the Kenai. I love them other then they aren't the most durable. I think they are just more versatile then the down. You can take less of the other layers depending on the situation. My plan for this years September bow hunt in the wilderness is to take the Kenai and then two base layers around 145 to 170 weight. Just skip the 200+ base layers all together. I think that's some of the versatility the Kenai provides.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

When you say aren’t very durable, are they more or less durable than the standard merino base layers?

And would you run a rain jacket with the Kenai?

I think I’m gonna send back my ultra down and either get a Kenai or a insulated snap shirt. I would bring a pelton 240 regardless which I choose. This is for high country September backpacking trips

When you say aren’t very durable, are they more or less durable than the standard merino base layers?

And would you run a rain jacket with the Kenai?

I think I’m gonna send back my ultra down and either get a Kenai or a insulated snap shirt. I would bring a pelton 240 regardless which I choose. This is for high country September backpacking trips

I would stick with the down for September backpacking. Peloton 240 over top if its real windy, rain jacket over top if its wet. Youre gonna have pretty similar warmth with a lot of weight/bulk saving compared to kenai.