Kuiu Ultra Down Pant vs Super Down Pro vs others?

How does the face fabric compare on the Kuiu SD Ultra, SD Pro, and SG Grumman?

-Ultra is 12D with 30D reinforced seat and knees
-Pro is 30D with 70 and 80D seat and knees
-SG is 15D throughout.

Obviously just going by the numbers, the pros should be significantly be more durable than the others, but how much real world difference does is make?

GooseFeet look legit! Thank you for sharing. Do you ever wear your Kuius anymore? If you do, why?
Yeah, they are very warm but still now where near the top end when it comes to how much GF can customize them. They definitely aren't bomber as far as durability is concerned, but that wasn't part of my criteria when I bought them. I wanted something that was very warm, yet very light, and I also didn't really care about full leg zips. My son now wears the Kuiu's.
FF are another option that I've heard very good reviews about but I don't have any first hand experience with.

Last edited:

Moserkr

WKR
My experience with jacket and pants kuiu ultra super down is good. Been hiking in 9* weather after a blizzard and been warm but not sweaty. May have been cold if I stopped though. In Sodak I hunted pheasants in my jacket as an outer layer and busted brush for a week in single digit temps/snow. It dried out extremely fast, kept me warm, and somehow did not tear. I was extremely impressed from that trip. By busted brush i mean full on thickets and treelines including thorns. Kuiu is expensive though but im a believer after what I keep putting it through.

Weber

FNG
Itd be awesome to know in what temps and what additional layers people are saying "very warm". Came to the thread hoping to know where the threshold of ultras vs pro comes into play. Are the ultras great until sub 20 then the pros shine? Etc. Anyone got any info?

USMC2378

Lil-Rokslider
I'm researching down puffy pants for a late season backcountry Idaho hunt. What puffy pants do you like and why? So far I'm leaning toward Kuiu Ultra Down Pant or Super Down Pro but I'm open to other suggestions.

Thanks for the help!
Outdoor research just had their insulated tradecraft pants for 90 a few weeks ago normal price it’s $360. I recommended checking their website they might drop in price again. Here is a link. https://www.outdoorresearch.com/us/tradecraft-pants-264352

tdot

WKR
Itd be awesome to know in what temps and what additional layers people are saying "very warm". Came to the thread hoping to know where the threshold of ultras vs pro comes into play. Are the ultras great until sub 20 then the pros shine? Etc. Anyone got any info?
IME Ultras are sufficient to just below freezing. This is with a Peloton 97 underlayer top and bottom, Peloton 200 top and a Waterproof breathable shell over top of everything. Sitting for long hours in this setup at freezing temps would not be comfortable, but shorter sits are ok. The Ultras are sized to fit perfectly under my shells, but there isn't much room for underlayers, which I'm fine with as that's what I wanted and how I use them. They are primarily for August sheep hunts in the Northern Rockies, as we approach September/October I gain some more use out of the same kit by having an Apex blanket that I can utilize for additional warmth.

I haven't used the Pro's but personally have other insulation pieces with considerably more down for when the temps drop.

Seeknelk

WKR
Check out the new skre ptarmigan pants. I ordered a pair to try out. I hardly walk in puffy pants, don't think I would ever try to. Would roast one out unless it's -40.
Maybe a bit back and forth on a vantage.

Check out the new skre ptarmigan pants. I ordered a pair to try out. I hardly walk in puffy pants, don't think I would ever try to. Would roast one out unless it's -40.
Maybe a bit back and forth on a vantage.

What did you think of the SKRE Ptarmigan pants?

Seeknelk

WKR
What did you think of the SKRE Ptarmigan pants?
So far they've been awesome! Keep in mind I only have the kuiu kenai 3/4 pants to compare to. The tougher material on seat and knees is a good thing. Zip on and off well. Compress pretty small but I just stuff em in the pack on day hunts.

Toasty warm with those and the Sitka Kelvin WS in 20 degree weather , as far as I've tested em so far. Haven't used them a ton tho. Obviously don't walk in them besides around a vantage point etc. Got snowed in really good with em on, shed it well.