Kuiu ultra down vs Sitka kelvin lite down

golfbum

WKR
Looking at picking up a new pair of down pants.

Anyone compared these two or have thoughts on them.

Kuiu ultra down vs 3/4 length Sitka kelvin down lite……

warmth-weight-durability

Golfbum, No experience with the Sitka, but have had a pair of KUIU ultra (Super) down zip-off pants since the first year they made them...say about 5 years? They have been great and are holding up very well! They are always in my pack on backpack trips and fly-in hunts, from the August sheep hunts to the later season October moose and caribou hunts. Great to wear around camp in the evening, in the sleeping bag at night and when you get up in the morning. I usually wear them right over my Attack pants unless the Attacks are wet. Bet that combined they bring a 15*F down bag rating close to a 0*F bag if you wear an Ultra Super Down parka on top at the same time.

I use them glassing from windy, cold promontories if rain pants aren't enough insulation. Very warm.

Wore them for about 10 straight days on a February polar bear hunt out on the ice with temps down to -40*. Great layer under the caribou pants combined with my other mountain hunting gear.

And today I ordered a pair of Super Down Ultra pants for my bowhunting buddy who was looking at my pair with jealous thoughts on our two week backpack caribou hunt last year. They are 25% off for the Founder's day sale right now.

OP
golfbum

golfbum

WKR
Thanks for the info!
I can pick up both for about the same price so wondering what people liked more! Warmth between them and so on! Thanks for the info and good luck!

The zip-off and on feature of the KUIU pant is a real added plus when you don't want to take your boots off for glassing. Do the Sitka puffy pants have the feature?

Also, the KUIU pants are 8 oz and very compact when stuffed into their own pocket. I don't need any more insulation for the Aug - mid-Oct hunts based on experience so more insulation wouldn't necessarily be an advantage, at least so far in my use of them including up in the Arctic with a bunch of other layers on simultaneously Good luck with your choice!

Summitdog

Lil-Rokslider
I have the KUIU super down pants that I’ve used a number if times. The Sitka Kelvin Lite pants just arrived.

The Sitka “looks” like it has more loft. I like the 3/4 length because I’ll usually be in boots anyway.

I’ll keep you posted once I get up to the mountains.

Scotty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BiG_Sea

FNG
I have the KUIU super down pants that I’ve used a number if times. The Sitka Kelvin Lite pants just arrived.

The Sitka “looks” like it has more loft. I like the 3/4 length because I’ll usually be in boots anyway.

I’ll keep you posted once I get up to the mountains.

Scotty

Sent from my iPhone using
Scotty - hope you and golfbum don’t mine me surfing in here and asking how this all turned out for you. I have a 20% coupon at Kuiu that expires today and looking at the superdown ultra vs pro pants. Also considering the sitka kelvin lite pant. This year I went to a lightweight quilt for backpack hunts, so I wesr my thermal layers to bed on the cooler nights…and, of course, the standard warmth while glassing needs apply. Would like to hear your experience so far with the pro vs kelvin. Thanks

sheepy2

FNG
Waiting on a the review comparison as well. I need a pair of puffy pants for layering. I'm a shorter at 5'5'' so wondering if the Sitka 3/4 pants would fit better and have less bunching at the boots.

Summitdog

Lil-Rokslider
I am finally going to be in the mountains to do a bit of scouting this week. (No luck on the sheep draw - followed by a disappointed sigh).

I’ve compared the two pants side by side for the pre-use evaluation. Keep in mind that this is not a true comparison for sizing and weight. I have a pair of XL KUIU ultra down pants and a size L in the Sitka pants. I bought the KUIU in XL bc the pants from KUIU tend to be “athletically cut”. At 5’09” and 200lbs, I am not going to be called athletically built anytime soon. My waist is between a 34-36 depending on the manufacturer.

For my build the KUIU pants for too loose. To solve the dilemma of the pants falling off, extended strips of Velcro were sewn on by my loving (hunting) partner.
34a5cb7779bb4967369db8156a66f9bb.jpg

Neither pair of pants are equipped to be suspender compatible. This is a huge miss in my opinion. I have worn the KUIU pants in the field. The pants will begin to sag and droop, especially if one has anything in the front pockets. It is disappointing to have pockets one can’t put items of moderate weight, e.g., cell phone, without having to hitch up one’s pants when walking about.

A bit about the pockets:
The Sitka’s have no pockets and the KUIU has two zippered front pockets. At first blush one my think that pockets are useless bc this style of pant is designed to be an insulation layer worn underneath an outer layer. While that may be true in the designing/development life of the pant, in the practical application phase of the pant, I use the pants in the field under the protective layer and around camp as my primary outer layer. Having pockets to hold a lighter, phone, flashlight or other “camp essentials” is HUGE!!!

81cb14431ad8aba405d220f4a5319bc0.jpg

The Sitka Kelvin Lite is secured with a plastic button snap and an integrated belt.

7569cf26b32670d6e90b795b0d1cd510.jpg

I am concerned about the comfort of this system with having layered buckles. I am not looking forward to the buckle on the outer layer compounded with the buckle of a backpack/daypack waist strap pushing against the buckle on the Kelvin Lite. It just sounds like a recipe for discomfort.

Baffles:

Here the two are the same. Both are constructed with sewn through stitching. The big difference is that KUIU uses square paneling, which means there is a lot more sewn through stitching than the tubular panels of Sitka. I expect the KUIU to have more cold spots than the Sitka.

6909e19874d117686882bfcedd4786d4.jpg

893ae94479bd5f0385ec20ca8a43ecb8.jpg

Let’s talk Loft:

The Sitka pants clearly win this:

e93a1d13f3aa434d746e0a4058eec433.jpg

1dd0cd1a3576ca1148264f236dcad83c.jpg

It’s not a huge difference but it is a very visible difference even if the photos don’t convey it. One must keep in mind too that Sitka is a combination of Primaloft and down whereas KUIU is all down, which may mean the down has more insulating air pockets than the Sitka insulating combination.

Fit:
Let’s face it, all of the above don’t matter at all if the fit is horrible. So let’s take a look:

9fbbe73f382aba51be086892a65f75c6.jpg

dc9b04f4a1c3500a9b782dadfb57ad0b.jpg

38a397be6405fbfb9eac368dfe599ec3.jpg

8bd6df1eb888ecae225320de6e9362c7.jpg

a8c1f6402b7326516ae223ed9f3175fe.jpg

In the waist (even with the modifications made at home on the KUIU) the Sitka feel more secure. I am greatly disappointed with the gathers at the bottom of the Sitka. I have well-developed calves and my legs still look like bread sticks poking out of a 5 gallon bucket. Without wearing something over these pants one could expect the cold air blast up one’s legs like Marylin Monroe standing over a subway grate. To make these pants base camp worthy one would have to incorporate blousing rubbers into the pants.

The KUIU pants fit looser around the body but that maybe attributable to the fact that they are XL. They are also a bit too long for my build.

Zippers:
Both have a zippered fly with with pull tabs and a draft panel.

Side zips: The teeth on the KUIU are larger (not by much though), and this is a true full zip on both sides. The Sitka are a 9/10th zipper. While one does not need to worry about a zipper head gouging one’s hip from the waist belt of a backpack, having to completely take off muddy boots to avoid sullying the inside of the pants is more unappealing.

I would have to give KUIU the advantage on the side zip category.

I’ll let you know my assessment after I get some field use in both of these.

Scotty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dkuczek

Lil-Rokslider
Golfbum, No experience with the Sitka, but have had a pair of KUIU ultra (Super) down zip-off pants since the first year they made them...say about 5 years? They have been great and are holding up very well! They are always in my pack on backpack trips and fly-in hunts, from the August sheep hunts to the later season October moose and caribou hunts. Great to wear around camp in the evening, in the sleeping bag at night and when you get up in the morning. I usually wear them right over my Attack pants unless the Attacks are wet. Bet that combined they bring a 15*F down bag rating close to a 0*F bag if you wear an Ultra Super Down parka on top at the same time.

I use them glassing from windy, cold promontories if rain pants aren't enough insulation. Very warm.

Wore them for about 10 straight days on a February polar bear hunt out on the ice with temps down to -40*. Great layer under the caribou pants combined with my other mountain hunting gear.

And today I ordered a pair of Super Down Ultra pants for my bowhunting buddy who was looking at my pair with jealous thoughts on our two week backpack caribou hunt last year. They are 25% off for the Founder's day sale right now.
I was wondering about the later Moose hunting temperatures you used these in. Would you say they are warm enough for 20F dips at night with 35F in the days? Would be using them under my Axis/Waders with Base+HW pants. My other option is the Kenai Pants

Dkuczek, I would not get Super Down garments for active use where you sweat....like climbing up the mountain, hard hiking, X-country skiing...in my experience. The fabric will hold your sweat on the inside. The Super Down doesn't get wet but you will get wet from from your own sweat. I'd get the Kenai for active use. Never used it but likely adequately warm and will breath better. I have a 9 year old KUIU Spin Drift Jacket and it works well for active wear. Weights 13 oz vs 9 ounces and stuffs quite a bit bulkier....but better for active wear like X-country skiing for me.

Dkuczek

Lil-Rokslider
Dkuczek, I would not get Super Down garments for active use where you sweat....like climbing up the mountain, hard hiking, X-country skiing...in my experience. The fabric will hold your sweat on the inside. The Super Down doesn't get wet but you will get wet from from your own sweat. I'd get the Kenai for active use. Never used it but likely adequately warm and will breath better. I have a 9 year old KUIU Spin Drift Jacket and it works well for active wear. Weights 13 oz vs 9 ounces and stuffs quite a bit bulkier....but better for active wear like X-country skiing for me.
Thank you. The moose hunt is mainly a boat hunt throughout a lake and potentially some land calling. It will mostly be a stationary hunt with very little activity unless it's reeling in fish