Kuiu vs First lite

Looking to upgrade my kryptek gear to something a bit more water resistant. Both kuiu and first lite have caught my eye. I understand the clothing doesnt make you a better hunter, but being able to stay dry and warm longer makes the hunt more comfortable. Looking at the classifieds it seems to run the same ballpark price.

For those that have used either one or both which did you like better and why? Not really concerned about color aspects. More concerned on functionality and which worked best in cold conditions, wet conditions and early season when it's still hot and dry.

Thanks for the input have a blessed weekend!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Ndstevens

Lil-Rokslider
Im in Montana and cannot speak for kuiu but as far a FL, i have highly enjoyed the base layers and klamath. The guide jacket and pants have been awesome this season with dwr since every time ive went out its been a light rain all day or everything is wet from hours of rain prior to hunting. The guide jacket also works great as a light layer to block some wind on chilly mornings. This is the first high end clothing system ive invested in so not much to compare to but as of now in happy with the money spent.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

OP
Sbarrera185
Im in Montana and cannot speak for kuiu but as far a FL, i have highly enjoyed the base layers and klamath. The guide jacket and pants have been awesome this season with dwr since every time ive went out its been a light rain all day or everything is wet from hours of rain prior to hunting. The guide jacket also works great as a light layer to block some wind on chilly mornings. This is the first high end clothing system ive invested in so not much to compare to but as of now in happy with the money spent.

Have you used it in colder conditions like in snow? That's my biggest concern mostly do rifle hunts but hoping to get into bow in the next year or two.

Lowg08

WKR
I have learned from discussions and starting to buy some of my own. Don’t be brand blind. I own more FL than anything but starting to acquire more pieces. As far as a base layer. FL is the best. The Klamath tops make a great combo with the kiln base. The obsidian pant and older kanabs are nice but I’m going to try the kuiu pants due to the reviews. Also consider Sitka. Watch hunt of the day and camo fire. I picked up a nice Sitka flash pull over with gortex and windstopper for a 100 bucks

Wright406

WKR
Kuiu. if you plan on hiking the added function of the hip zips will make your day. Also don't forget kuiu has the zip off leggings which may be their best piece of gear when it comes to late season hunts. Never had an issue with the customer service. The base layers they offer are great as well.

Ndstevens

Lil-Rokslider
Have you used it in colder conditions like in snow? That's my biggest concern mostly do rifle hunts but hoping to get into bow in the next year or two.

It was mid 30s yesterday when i was out. Not snowing but some on the ground. I have not used any of it while snow is falling though. If your asking because of temps they definitely have the correct things to keep you warm. If you mean as far as getting wet from snow i have no experience there yet but snow just flew the last 2 nights and when i get out next i have no concerns about the clothing i have from them being that wet is wet weather from rain or snow.

Forest

WKR
they all seem to have their good pieces and very mediocre pieces. My opinion is merino next to skin first lite wins, mid layers i'd vote kuiu. Generally speaking kuiu gear is not the warmest, but cant speak to first lite outer layers (I run sitka mostly). As far as pants I tried the obisidians and were extremely comfy, but were not durable enough. I love my sitka mountain pants but give the edge to kuiu pants because of the hip vents. I'm to the point I buy the pieces that fit my system the best when I find the bargain. Heck I picked up some wranger hiking pants when my local shopko was selling out for $10 and they are awesome!

Looking to upgrade my kryptek gear to something a bit more water resistant. Both kuiu and first lite have caught my eye. I understand the clothing doesnt make you a better hunter, but being able to stay dry and warm longer makes the hunt more comfortable. Looking at the classifieds it seems to run the same ballpark price.

For those that have used either one or both which did you like better and why? Not really concerned about color aspects. More concerned on functionality and which worked best in cold conditions, wet conditions and early season when it's still hot and dry.

Thanks for the input have a blessed weekend!

If you are looking to "upgrade" from Kryptek for more water resistance what pieces do you have? Generally I find First Lite base layers great but their outer layers still leave alot to be desired for me. Chances are your Kryptek pieces are as good as any from First Lite. Once we know what you have now and how they work for you in your typical conditions or what you are looking to add we can advise better on specific pieces. Also how does Kryptek fit you? First Lite has a much different and variable fit to their pieces compared to Kryptek. I'll give you a list of similar Kuiu pieces and my opinion whether they will improve your system any.

Perrin713

FNG
Can’t speak for Kuiu but I’ve been pleased with some of my First Lite gear. Their merino gloves and base layers are nice but rip very easy. Outer layers have been great!

I have the kuiu yukon rain jacket and their pants and I can hunt all day in rain or snow and I have done both and stayed dry. I also have their gaters and have liked them as well.

Im sure first lite and sitka both make comparable products but I dont have any personal experience with those. Find out what they are though and hunt the classifieds for a good deal.

mmcdonough

Lil-Rokslider
My experience is that the KUIU outwear is better for active hunting and is a little better at keeping you dry than most of the First Lite stuff. First lite has the better base layers though, without question. I run a little bit of both, never get stuck on one brand or you'll miss out on some awesome gear!

Jake_B

Lil-Rokslider
I prefer KUIU bottoms, mostly for the hip vents. But I prefer FL tops and base layers.

ericF

WKR
First lite upper base layers are great, but Kuiu has them beat on the bottom baselayers for the Zip on/off features. Kuiu also has everybody beat on pants with the hip vents and I have no idea why other companies haven't started adding these features to both the baselayers and pants. After that, mix and match depending on your needs.

mlgc20

WKR
I have the Kuiu Yukon Jacket, Yukon Gloves and Yukon Gaiters. They are fantastic and I never hunt without them. But, I run Sitka for most everything else. I will usually just have my Sitka Core Hoody under my Yukon. That setup covers most conditions I find myself in when hiking/hunting. If I'm going to be sitting a lot, I would add a vest or puffy.

I agree with one of the previous posters who mentioned not being brand blind. I really believe that to be good advice. There are lots of good clothing companies. And none of them are the best at everything (IMO). And don't ignore clothing from the backpacking companies (Marmot, Arc Teryx, Sierra Designs). It doesn't have to have a camo pattern to be used for hunting.

between F.L. - Sitka - Kuiu there are good pieces and not so good ones

First Lite pays it forward which has earned them a first look from me no matter WHICH piece I'm looking for

SO …. "First Look goes to First Lite" (hay, kind of catchy ….)

OP
Sbarrera185
My Kryptek Altitude has been damn good in rain and snow.
I like that altitude line but man is it pricey. I've been looking for used clothing in that altitude line but no luck.

OP
Sbarrera185
If you are looking to "upgrade" from Kryptek for more water resistance what pieces do you have? Generally I find First Lite base layers great but their outer layers still leave alot to be desired for me. Chances are your Kryptek pieces are as good as any from First Lite. Once we know what you have now and how they work for you in your typical conditions or what you are looking to add we can advise better on specific pieces. Also how does Kryptek fit you? First Lite has a much different and variable fit to their pieces compared to Kryptek. I'll give you a list of similar Kuiu pieces and my opinion whether they will improve your system any.
So I have the dalibir pants and the vest. The vest was amazing last year. But the pants started out good but by the 1st afternoon they were completely wet. I was walking through snow but I thought it would hold up a little more than half a day.