Kuiu vs First lite

So I have the dalibir pants and the vest. The vest was amazing last year. But the pants started out good but by the 1st afternoon they were completely wet. I was walking through snow but I thought it would hold up a little more than half a day.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
walking through snow is a bitch with ANYTHING …. not necessarily a "fair" test - I've done it a lot over the years, my favorite ? Filson wool pants …..

OP
Sbarrera185
walking through snow is a bitch with ANYTHING …. not necessarily a "fair" test - I've done it a lot over the years, my favorite ? Filson wool pants …..
Agreed, that's when gaiters crossed my mind. Also if the dwr in my pants had dissapeared. Lol

Agreed, that's when gaiters crossed my mind. Also if the dwr in my pants had dissapeared. Lol

Kuiu Yukon gaiters are the best I have found and are the general consensus from people who have tried a lot. OR crocs are tough but noisy especially in cold and snow.

Kuiu guide or axis pants are the best for DWR and cold/snow. Any pant will get wet in the snow and half a day sounds pretty good to me so maybe start with gaiters. The kuiu pants will be more breathable and the large hip vents and hand pockets on the guide add a large temperature range over the Dalibor.
First Lite guide pants will be wet in 15 min even with gaiters. They are awful in snow or wet conditions and also run not limiting their useful temperature range.

Kuiu zip off bottoms are unbeatable. Either Merino 145 or Peloton 97. I would go with the Peloton.

I don’t think you will notice any improvement over the vest going to the kuiu guide.

I like the first lite wick tops but if I’m sweating much I find I’m warmer with a kuiu 118 or Sitka Core lightweight especially if there is any wind.

twall13

WKR
I run a mixed bag but here's my take. Like many others, I strongly prefer First Lite base layers. I have a pair of zip off kuiu bottoms and I like the design but their merino blend is not anywhere close to as comfortable as my first lite aerwool pieces. The kuiu bottoms also aren't holding up as well. For outerwear I feel like First Lite is getting there but Kuiu might have an edge if it's just between those two brands.

As far as a dwr coating I actually feel like Kryptek does a better job than most with the DWR on their outer layers and I've heard Ryan Avery say the same thing. I like First Lite, the few Sitka items I own, and several Kryptek pieces but I certainly haven't tried them all. Research each item and you'll likely end up with a mixed bag like me.

KHNC

WKR
I like that altitude line but man is it pricey. I've been looking for used clothing in that altitude line but no luck.

They were having a 50% off sale recently! id check on that. I missed it AND the 30% off sale they had last year a month after i spent my life savings on it.