Kuiu vs Pnuma vs First Lite

Best quality/comfort Camo

• Total voters

Lexus423

FNG
Looking to pick up some camp for Colorado elk season. Merino base layers and then a hoodie/jacket and pants.
Looking for durability and comfort over camp pattern and have narrowed it down to these three companies. Which would you choose and why? Any companies (not Sitka) that I should be looking at?

HunterEng

FNG
Sitka or Stone Glacier. Not sure what your beef with Sitka is, but they destroy FL in everything but merino layers.
This, i will add some kuiu is good, but item specific. But these two brands r ahead of everyone else. I have bought a lot of fl tried for a year and sold it

Most of my outer and mid layers are Kuiu. For base layers I run Black Ovis lightweight merino T-shirts and FL merino hoodies of different weights depending on temperature. Started with Sitka many years ago but did not like the fit and feel of the material, sold the entire kit except for their beanies.

Yard Candy

Lil-Rokslider
I can only speak to Kuiu, as that's all I've ever tried or had. I have no complaints about the gear, the company, etc. Everything has been comfortable, durable, and very functional. They definitely think it through when they design their gear. Their customer service has always been very responsive and friendly with me as well. They even sent me some free stuff once. Once and a while they have giveaways where they'll include a nic-nak with your order if you spend enough $. I think at the time it was a sweet flask. I emailed Kuiu and asked if they had any left even though the promotion was over, because I was ready to place an order that would have qualified to get a flask (it never hurts to ask). They said there were some left over and they would mail me one. I didn't even have to place the order or pay shipping. Obviously getting swag isn't a reason to choose a company but I'm speaking to how they do their business... the customer experience side of it.

I chose Kuiu because...

I liked the camo pattern. We all know it's not super important to the animals, but if I'm spending $100+ per garment I want it to be something that I like and enjoy wearing.

Kuiu is also direct to consumer (not sold in retail stores) so their prices are able to be a little lower than Sitka for example.

Another cool thing about Kuiu is their niche is ultralight hunting. Coming from a backpacking/camping background I had an appreciation for ultralight gear. I'll use down jackets as an example: Kuiu Super Down Ultra 7.9oz, Kuiu Super Down PRO 13.4oz, Sitka Kelvin Lite 17oz, First Lite Uncompahgre 20oz. Big differences there.

For what you mentioned I'd recommend:

- Merino base layer
- Peloton 240 ("windproof" hoodie)
- Kenai Ultra (jacket)
- Attack pants

I have all of those items too. They're great. One thing about the Kenai... it's made for active insulation. If you try to use it as a treestand jacket in 25° you will be unhappy. It's SILENT too. Great for bowhunting.

Last thing about Kuiu - it's the most athletic cut out of the brands you mentioned. If you have dad bod it won't fit very well. I have slight dad bod, trying to work it off, and my stuff is a little tight in the belly but good everywhere else. It'll fit me better this season.

Kuiu also has a lifetime guarantee on their gear. They won't cover something you messed up yourself, but if the gear ever fails you, you're covered.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

WyoKid

WKR
Don't get stuck on one company or brand as they all have their strengths and weaknesses. I like FL and Black Ovis base layers in Merino wool and the FL socks are good too. I have Sitka pants although I have been looking at Kuiu and Pnuma pants. Jacket is Kuiu Axis. Vest is Sitka. Puffy is Plythal. Gloves are OR. Finally, Plythal light weight rain suit.

Over the years, I found stuff that works for me and on sale, mostly on camofire.

FL is cut for the average guy and fits the best and I order my normal size. Sitka and Kuiu are definitely for athletic - marathon runner body - and tight on the arms and waist for me so I size up. Plythal and Pnuma are generous in fit.

FL has best base layers but IMHO Kuiu and Sitka have the best jackets and Pnuma and Kuiu the best pants. For insulating layers, I use what works... a Costco puffy that was $19 has been my favorite. I haven't tried SG.

Nothing against any of the companies as it is all good stuff and definitely much better than old army surplus. My LimFac is sizing (short and slim) and price.

Last edited:

MtnMuley

WKR
You get what you pay for with high end hunting clothing. There are lots of deals to be had on Sitka all over the interweb, including this site. I've never paid full price for any Sitka item over the years.

My system includes pieces from all the brands. I love a couple of my FL merino layers, KUIU zip of merino bottoms and attack and talus hybrid pants, Sitka/KUIU mid layers, Sitka jackets, Stone Glacier puffy's, Kryptek Takur rain gear, etc. Best system you can create will include multiple brands, unless you have to be one of those matching hunters.

j33

WKR
You get what you pay for with high end hunting clothing. There are lots of deals to be had on Sitka all over the interweb, including this site. I've never paid full price for any Sitka item over the years.

My system includes pieces from all the brands. I love a couple of my FL merino layers, KUIU zip of merino bottoms and attack and talus hybrid pants, Sitka/KUIU mid layers, Sitka jackets, Stone Glacier puffy's, Kryptek Takur rain gear, etc. Best system you can create will include multiple brands, unless you have to be one of those matching hunters.

^ listen to this guy, he gets its and honestly has probably the best mix of them.

Sitka is a great product, overpriced when not on sale though I’ve owned a few and overall prefer Kuiu, their material seems to perform better and is a bit more basic/lighter. First Lite baselayers are good, Stone Glacier packs and puffy’s seem good.

You can gets some killer deals on hikers gear in earth tones, Eddie Bauer, Outdoor Research, Mountain Hardware, etc.... Got an OR soft shell for 1/4 the price of Kuiu/Sitka/SG and currently gonna pick up an active insulation jacket for 1/3 the price of the Kuiu I decided to sell to put funds elsewhere.

None listed. I started with Sitka and have reason to go to another brand. My base layers are minus 33.

Last edited:

Scooter90254

Lil-Rokslider
Another vote for don’t get stuck on a brand. All of them produce great gear.

Just remember everything from Sitka is over priced by about 40% to cover the market up for retail stores. You really have to get a sale for it to make sense.

bozeman

WKR
From the 3 you mentioned, I only have Kuiu pieces left. Bought/sold FL, bought/sold Pnuma. My majority of pieces are Sitka which I have had for years.......I have a few Kuiu pieces to compliment these.

kit_man_duu

Lil-Rokslider
Have you looked at Skre gear. I think they are very well built and comfortable. They are phasing out their Mtn Stealth camo, so you can find them at very cheap prices right now.

Aginor

Lil-Rokslider
I can only speak to Kuiu, as that's all I've ever tried or had. I have no complaints about the gear, the company, etc. Everything has been comfortable, durable, and very functional. They definitely think it through when they design their gear. Their customer service has always been very responsive and friendly with me as well. They even sent me some free stuff once. Once and a while they have giveaways where they'll include a nic-nak with your order if you spend enough $. I think at the time it was a sweet flask. I emailed Kuiu and asked if they had any left even though the promotion was over, because I was ready to place an order that would have qualified to get a flask (it never hurts to ask). They said there were some left over and they would mail me one. I didn't even have to place the order or pay shipping. Obviously getting swag isn't a reason to choose a company but I'm speaking to how they do their business... the customer experience side of it.

I chose Kuiu because...

I liked the camo pattern. We all know it's not super important to the animals, but if I'm spending $100+ per garment I want it to be something that I like and enjoy wearing.

Kuiu is also direct to consumer (not sold in retail stores) so their prices are able to be a little lower than Sitka for example.

Another cool thing about Kuiu is their niche is ultralight hunting. Coming from a backpacking/camping background I had an appreciation for ultralight gear. I'll use down jackets as an example: Kuiu Super Down Ultra 7.9oz, Kuiu Super Down PRO 13.4oz, Sitka Kelvin Lite 17oz, First Lite Uncompahgre 20oz. Big differences there.

For what you mentioned I'd recommend:

- Merino base layer
- Peloton 240 ("windproof" hoodie)
- Kenai Ultra (jacket)
- Attack pants

I have all of those items too. They're great. One thing about the Kenai... it's made for active insulation. If you try to use it as a treestand jacket in 25° you will be unhappy. It's SILENT too. Great for bowhunting.

Last thing about Kuiu - it's the most athletic cut out of the brands you mentioned. If you have dad bod it won't fit very well. I have slight dad bod, trying to work it off, and my stuff is a little tight in the belly but good everywhere else. It'll fit me better this season.

Kuiu also has a lifetime guarantee on their gear. They won't cover something you messed up yourself, but if the gear ever fails you, you're covered.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Did you just compare a Kuiu down jacket to a First Lite synthetic jacket? You should compare it to the Brooks down instead. And then on top of that you should be comparing the down fill weight and power as well

Florida Bow Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I prefer Kuiu being the owner spent his hunting time in high elevation mountains.

But again, as mentioned above, garment to garment changes.

Base layer in cold climes, I’m all in on Patagonia Capilene top and bottom and socks.

The rest I go later by layer with a wind proof/water resistant/ water proof outer with a hoodie. Pants to me have never been an issue. But I’m starting to appreciate 6 pocket with over 4 and water resistant. Kuiu and Sitka both do pants great imho.

I think the key is the base layer and the mid layer. But everyone is different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rden

FNG
Just got stuff from SKRE for my CO elk trip in Sept. I’m impressed with the look and feel and look forward to using it. It was a good price point too!

BluMtn

WKR
I have SKRE, Sitka, Cabelas, Kryptek, Natural Gear, and KUIU. They all have there place in my lineup depending on location and temp range. I like Kryptek, Cabelas, and KUIU for my outer wear. I have issues with KUIU, not because of their clothing, but their so called warranty. Had an issue with a pack I ordered from them and in the first year had a problem with the belt and when I called CS was told to pound sand. So heavily invested in my pack that I had to BUY another suspension setup to get a new belt. I know that people have had good luck with KUIU warranty, but I personally have not.