Kuiu vs Sitka pattern and sizing questions

Mrcrosno

FNG
I have been reading just about every thread on this forum and appreciate the wealth of knowledge and information I have gained. I am struggling with the decision of which brand and pattern to invest in for my future hunting clothing. I will be predominantly whitetail hunting in my home state of Arkansas but have been invited on a yearly hog hunting trip to Texas and a yearly elk hunting trip to Colorado. I want to invest in new camo that can meet the most of the requirements and situations; I know that there won't be a perfect choice because the 3 types of hunting vary so much. I like both Sitka and Kuiu from what I can tell, but where I live there aren't any retail outlets I can go and try on the Sitka so both brands would have to be purchased without a fitting. Hopefully that is where you all could help me out. I am 6'4" 215 with a true waist size of 37" and chest of 46".

The two patterns that I have narrowed down too would be Sitka optifade open country and Kuiu verde, what patern do you think would work the best for tree stand hunting fairly green Arkansas and hiking Colorado? I don't turkey hunt so the color shouldn't be too much of a consideration just the effectiveness of the pattern breaking up the outline. I already own first lite base layers and Core 4 Element Torrent rain suit.

If I went with the Sitka the benefit would be I could order it in all the sizes( no backorders) I think I need and at one time. The items I was thinking about getting are: ascent pants, Klevin pants, 90% pants, kelvin lite jacket, jet stream jacket, gaiters and beane. My general consensus from what I have read though is Kuiu is newer, more popular and better quality.

If I chose Kuiu I think I would have to wait on various products due to back order. In verde they only have the attack and guide pants in 36 which I feel would be too small. The super down pant doesn't come in verde yet does anyone know if it will? The guide jacket is available in a 2XL do you think this is what I would need for all the sizing issues I have read about? And the super down hooded jacket is available in XL do you think that would be to small?

It seems like Kuiu is the preferred brand but Sitka would be so much easier to get all the items in a timely manor and not have to worry about them fitting properly? What are your thoughts on the two brands, camo paterns, sizes and are there items you would add or subtract from the list?

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Both make quality gear. I prefer fit, finish, and materials in the Kuiu, but as has been discussed often, availability can be a problem.

I don't think the camo patterns "work" any better than each other.

Last edited:

bbrown

WKR
Either will treat you well.
One thing is neither are great for stationary tree stand hunting unless you go for Sitkas fanatic or incinerator line. They are built as a system for layering and I can get cold if I sit in one spot for a long time in the wrong conditions.

CaseyU

WKR
Both are phenominal layering sysems. I use the sitka gear because at the time i purchased it was available and i got a discount. If you decide to go with sitka their pants run very true to size. I wear a 34 x36 in wranglers waist and got the 34 talls and they fit perfect and have enough run for a good layer underneath and i have the jetstream. 100% get one size bigger than you normally wear. They run small. I wear a large everyhing and weny with xl and the fit is perfect with room to layer as well. Best of luck and let us know what you decide

Slim Jim

WKR
If you decide on Sitka, they fit true. I wear 36" waist and large top and that is what I bought and they fit perfect. I also like the athletic fit so if you don't, you might not like them

Both make quality gear. I prefer fit, finish, and materials in the Kuiu, but as has been discussed often, availability can be a problem.

I don't think the camo patterns "work" any better than each other.

BB is right on on this. I think camo patterns are overrated. I wear the Eclectic Pattern, or in other words various patterns that I have bought over the years. I really don't think it is a big difference, unless you are selling videos and need a certain look for that :) In fact in several states, you are gonna have to wear a blaze orange vest over your camo in the firearm seasons.

I'd opt to the type and quality of garments that best fits the type of hunting you will be doing.

drthornton

Lil-Rokslider
Agreed on above for pattern....I think you could add Optifade Forest in your search.

I have both KUIU and Sitka Sets. I like Mountain pants just as much if not better than Attack. My only ding on Attack pants is they are not quite long enough(i am 6' 5") and the Sitka-Tall is. Both are great and I would say one is only better than the other in preference.

As far as fit, KUIU tend to run a little slimmer than Sitka even IMO.

36" Attack pants will be too small and XL jackets will not be long enough in KUIU for a 6'4"/37" waist guy.

Everyone has Sitka 20% off right now and you can find it on the used market as well. You can find KUIU on the used market, just not as much as Sitka.

OP
M

Mrcrosno

FNG
Either will treat you well.
One thing is neither are great for stationary tree stand hunting unless you go for Sitkas fanatic or incinerator line. They are built as a system for layering and I can get cold if I sit in one spot for a long time in the wrong conditions.

I have some article shield gear for tree stand hunting if the temps are below 30-25 degrees. Most of the time the weather here for tree stand hunting is warmer then that.

OP
M

Mrcrosno

FNG
Both are phenominal layering sysems. I use the sitka gear because at the time i purchased it was available and i got a discount. If you decide to go with sitka their pants run very true to size. I wear a 34 x36 in wranglers waist and got the 34 talls and they fit perfect and have enough run for a good layer underneath and i have the jetstream. 100% get one size bigger than you normally wear. They run small. I wear a large everyhing and weny with xl and the fit is perfect with room to layer as well. Best of luck and let us know what you decide

I have heard some people think the optifade open country is to light without enough contrast does anyone find this to be true?

CaseyU

WKR
I do not think so. I think most patters are too dark but take a black and white pic from fifty yards of some diferent gear and check them out

OP
M

Mrcrosno

FNG
I just ordered all the items in Sitka steep investment I hope it all works great! I really wanted the Kuiu just didn't want to order half and not sure when I could get the other half and it not fit. Maybe the next go around.

I'm excited about getting it all in.

Snipershirt

Lil-Rokslider
I had the Kuiu made in NA line as well as the China made products...both fit differently based on same sizing. Never could find either to fit me right...some were tighter than others, some longer. Anyhow, ended up going back to sitka for numerous reasons. The sitka runs true to size as previously mentioned, there's no wait and you can even find it on discount for reasonable (IMO) prices. Camo pattern pros/cons, well depends on how good you want to look. :D

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sitka. You will like fit, finish, duarability, useablity, and customer service. I've been using it for 5 years now, and love it. Enjoy.

Kotaman

WKR
I have plenty of both and prefer the KUIU in quality/materials and camo. I like the fit of Sitka a little better as it appears more consistant. In KUIU you will need a 38 pant and a XXL top.

The China sizing run of KUIU has been fixed. The pants now fit exactly like the North American made stuff except they are 2.5 to 3 inches longer. The jackets are now cut a little smaller in the larger sizes. There were some major issues with the first run of stuff from China but all has been fixed.

You will like the Sitka as it is great stuff. Can't really go wrong with either.

I'm from South Arkansas, so I should be able to give you some advice on this. I always feel as I am the only person in Arkansas that wears KUIU. Prior to purchasing KUIU, I sold all of my prior camo. Some was hot weather and some was cold weather. I used this money to start the investment into KUIU.

This is what I have of KUIU:

Merino Wool 185 Bottoms (2)
Merino Wool 185 Tops (2)
Merino Wool 250 Bottom
Merino Wool 250 Top
SuperDown Bottom
Attack Pant (2)
Guide Pant (1)
Guide Vest (2)
Spindrift
Guide Jacket
Guide Beanie
Merino 185 Beanie (2)
Merino 185 Neck Gaitor
Guide Glove
2 Hats

For elk hunting:

October 2nd Rifle - Usually am walking - Typically, just one merino layer and guide pant on bottom. The top is usually 1 merino layer, vest, and the jacket. I hunted in 7 degree weather one day while it snowed 2 seasons ago. I had one 185 layer top and bottom, 1 250 layer top and bottom, guide pant, vest, spindrift, and jacket. I was fine. It snowed 9 inches that day.

For deer hunting in Arkansas:

Early bow season - shockingly at 90+, I can wear 1 merino base layer, attack pant on bottom,vest optional.
Midseason - base layer top and bottom, guide pant, vest, and spindrift
Late season - 35 degrees and below - 1 185 base layer, 1 250 base layer, guide pant, vest, spindrift, and jacket.

I received the superdown pant for Christmas. This will be the ultimate ticket for base layer during late season whitetail hunting. excellent pant.

I am glad I switched to KUIU. The quality is outstanding.

And as far as CAMO for the south. I have not had any problem with the VIAS in any situation. I'm sure the VERDE would be fine also. When the leaves start falling, the VIAS works great.

OP
M

Mrcrosno

FNG
I went with the Sitka open country for the availability. I hadn't heard until now if Kuiu had gotten their sizing issues corrected and didn't want to take a chance on one of the items not fitting correctly and not getting the full layering potential. I think the open country pattern will do we'll in the tree stand and on my future trips. Thanks for all the feed back, I'm surprised another Arkansas hunter does wear Kuiu. Most are in love with their Mossy Oak around me.

Most everyone wears the Mossy Oak around me also. I just know I can wear half as much at any given time. Sitka should be fine. Just more expensive. They did sell out to Gore, but it is quality gear.