KUIU vs Sitka vs First Lite

For the last 3 seasons I've strictly worn KUIU on all my hunts. I've even become that guy that wears the base camp solids and KUIU brand t shirts to family functions because of how comfortable they are. I don't have any experience with Sitka or First Lite. My question is.... is one of these three brands better quality than the other?

I do really like the KUIU brand, but it does get really expensive. The sales are few and far between for the items I generally need to pick up. First Lite appears to be in the same boat with affordability, but I'm guessing the quality is similar??? Sitka seems to be the most readily available, but that worries me with quality considering they are in all of the box stores.

I'm curious to hear thoughts on these three.

Thanks!

Sitkas quality is top notch regardless of being in box stores. My experience with First Lite has been the same. I have no experience with Kuiu but I think FL makes the best merino base layers and Sitka makes the best outerwear (after trying many). My systems are all FL merino and and sitka mid/outer layers (especially goretex rain shells). I do like Sitkas synthetic base layers as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chapinity

FNG
I had kuiu and switched to first lite. For me the first lite are better all the way around. The soft shell material and fit is much more comfortable than kuiu. I haven’t tried Sitka.

fwafwow

WKR
I’ve got a good bit of all three - and probably have been a fanboy of Kuiu, Sitka and FL (in that order with respect to timing). They are all good but your experience may depend on use.
  1. I really liked my Kuiu stuff, especially the merino, but the rest is aimed imho for more active hunting. I will keep it but currently don’t wear it much. Last major piece I used was down pants at night on an elk trip.
  2. Although I have quite a bit, I had favored the ESW for early season deer (but just purchased Forloh as a possible replacement). The Sitka late season whitetail (Fanatic and Incinerator - but they are spendy) though are amazing for cold sits - although I’m cold blooded and still need some layers. I have had no problems with quality.
  3. As others have said, the FL merino is amazing. I think I have at least one of every weight and style - tops and bottoms, zip-off included. My only complaint is that one of the zip off bottom weights is not the same as the others and is annoyingly short. The Furnace long johns are my favorite single piece of hunting wear, but they are hot.

OP
RM_Bowhunter
I’ve got a good bit of all three - and probably have been a fanboy of Kuiu, Sitka and FL (in that order with respect to timing). They are all good but your experience may depend on use.
  1. I really liked my Kuiu stuff, especially the merino, but the rest is aimed imho for more active hunting. I will keep it but currently don’t wear it much. Last major piece I used was down pants at night on an elk trip.
  2. Although I have quite a bit, I had favored the ESW for early season deer (but just purchased Forloh as a possible replacement). The Sitka late season whitetail (Fanatic and Incinerator - but they are spendy) though are amazing for cold sits - although I’m cold blooded and still need some layers. I have had no problems with quality.
  3. As others have said, the FL merino is amazing. I think I have at least one of every weight and style - tops and bottoms, zip-off included. My only complaint is that one of the zip off bottom weights is not the same as the others and is annoyingly short. The Furnace long johns are my favorite single piece of hunting wear, but they are hot.
I appreciate the thorough breakdown. Do you think that any of the three could be classified as more "durable" than the others? I tend to be a pretty active hunter (I hate treestand hunting), and needing anything terribly heavy has never really been an issue. I also know I've beat up my attack pants and they've stood the test of time.

Based on what I've read, it seems the differences between the three are negligible, and a lot comes down to personal preference.

Ho5tile1

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve used all 3 as well first lite for sure has the best merino. I also where all colors of the kuiu katana and attack pants everywhere and love them. My first lite outer wear has not lasted near as well as my Sitka or kuiu outer wear. My Sitka fanatic and stratus has been put through it and still looks new after 4 season.I’m also in the process of replacing piece by piece with FORLOH. So far only have there rain jacket and it’s top notch.

fwafwow

WKR
I appreciate the thorough breakdown. Do you think that any of the three could be classified as more "durable" than the others? I tend to be a pretty active hunter (I hate treestand hunting), and needing anything terribly heavy has never really been an issue. I also know I've beat up my attack pants and they've stood the test of time.

Based on what I've read, it seems the differences between the three are negligible, and a lot comes down to personal preference.
I don’t think one is more durable than the others, but I’ve heard complaints from members about all three. Forloh seems to be constructed better.

OP
RM_Bowhunter
I don’t think one is more durable than the others, but I’ve heard complaints from members about all three. Forloh seems to be constructed better.
I've briefly glanced at the Forloh apparel. Between you and @Ho5tile1 both mentioning them, I guess I'm gonna have to give them a closer look.

I appreciate everyone's input on this one.

For the last 3 seasons I've strictly worn KUIU on all my hunts. I've even become that guy that wears the base camp solids and KUIU brand t shirts to family functions because of how comfortable they are. I don't have any experience with Sitka or First Lite. My question is.... is one of these three brands better quality than the other?

I do really like the KUIU brand, but it does get really expensive. The sales are few and far between for the items I generally need to pick up. First Lite appears to be in the same boat with affordability, but I'm guessing the quality is similar??? Sitka seems to be the most readily available, but that worries me with quality considering they are in all of the box stores.

I'm curious to hear thoughts on these three.

Thanks!
Have you considered a 12 step plan? Possibly KA (Kuiu Anonymous)?

SMOKYMTN

WKR
All 3 have their advantages and excel in various pieces. I run all 3 depending on what I need. I'll preface this by saying I am a minimalist meaning I like lightweight and no frills. I am warm natured so I do not need a ton of clothing to stay warm.

For base layers I use First Lite. Their merino is is better than both Kuiu and Sitka (by a long shot IMO), and I like their fit better as well.

Mid layers, I personally prefer Kuiu. I think the Peloton 97 and 200 are better than than the midweight merino/grid fleece offerings from Sitka or FL with regards to warmth to weight. I live in the Peloton 97 from September to January. I also typically run a vest over my fleece, my personal favorite being the Sitka Mountain Vest.

For pants I typically wear First Lite Corrugate bottoms because they are no frills, tough as nails and comfortable. I have a pair of the Kuiu Attack pants and they pill even looking at trees and rocks. I like them, but I know they likely wouldn't last a season in the Southern Appalachian jungle with as many thickets, trees and rocky slopes we have.

For outer layer, it obviously depends on the situation. In the rain I carry a Sitka Dew Point jacket and pant. In the extreme cold I own Stone Glacier Grumman that packs down to nothing. If I am bushwhacking, I usually have a First Lite Corrugate jacket.

SMOKYMTN

WKR
I've had all three and like others have stated the FL base layers are awesome and the FL uncompagre is a must have but outside of that FL is way overpriced and not near as durable as Sitka and Kuiu.
I agree for the most part, except for the Corrugate line. It's bulletproof. Much tougher than anything I've worn from Kuiu. Don't get me wrong, I love Kuiu because it's lightweight and incredible quality, but I am not wearing it for it's toughness.

I'm sure you're noticing a pattern by now, FL merino is the way to go. The rest depends on fit and preference. Most of my newer stuff is Kuiu and I really like their setup and design of most things, the older Sitka stuff I have is tough and still gets used. I don't care much for most of the FL save for the merino. I tend to use the Kuiu pieces more for bowhunting and Sitka more for rifle but that's probably just more about the timing and order I bought everything in.

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
I own and abuse all 3 in numerous layers. FL is by far, and I mean by FAR the least durable. Their merino lines in every layer I own is so fragile. After one season everything tears apart at the seams. Or just flat out gets holes in random places. I only continue to make a purchase here and there because of their solid color options but overall I’ve never been impressed with FL. Sitka is very durable as I still use certain pieces I’ve owned for 6-8 years. Kuiu I have a down jacket I’ve had for probably 6 years still and still going strong.

OP
RM_Bowhunter
All 3 have their advantages and excel in various pieces. I run all 3 depending on what I need. I'll preface this by saying I am a minimalist meaning I like lightweight and no frills. I am warm natured so I do not need a ton of clothing to stay warm.

For base layers I use First Lite. Their merino is is better than both Kuiu and Sitka (by a long shot IMO), and I like their fit better as well.

Mid layers, I personally prefer Kuiu. I think the Peloton 97 and 200 are better than than the midweight merino/grid fleece offerings from Sitka or FL with regards to warmth to weight. I live in the Peloton 97 from September to January. I also typically run a vest over my fleece, my personal favorite being the Sitka Mountain Vest.

For pants I typically wear First Lite Corrugate bottoms because they are no frills, tough as nails and comfortable. I have a pair of the Kuiu Attack pants and they pill even looking at trees and rocks. I like them, but I know they likely wouldn't last a season in the Southern Appalachian jungle with as many thickets, trees and rocky slopes we have.

For outer layer, it obviously depends on the situation. In the rain I carry a Sitka Dew Point jacket and pant. In the extreme cold I own Stone Glacier Grumman that packs down to nothing. If I am bushwhacking, I usually have a First Lite Corrugate jacket.
The rain gear is really the only pieces I'm missing. But dang... they all cost the same as a first born child for something that gets extremely specific use. I have the guide jacket that has worked so far and the attack pants dry extremely fast, but I've not been in a monsoon with them either.

The rain gear is really the only pieces I'm missing. But dang... they all cost the same as a first born child for something that gets extremely specific use. I have the guide jacket that has worked so far and the attack pants dry extremely fast, but I've not been in a monsoon with them either.

I opt for cheaper with a helly Hansen or grudens rain gear

evergreenethos

Lil-Rokslider
I consider all 3 to be more or less on the same plane, but like OP I have also earned a seat in a meeting of Kuiu Anonymous. I do have Kuiu Merino both SS and LS base layers but I typically wear the Peleton 118 as base layer in cold weather and I just got a couple of the new Gila LS shirts I've been testing to use for the summer and so far so good. If Kuiu went out of business and I had to start replacing things I think I'd be giving Forloh a try. I am liking what they're doing as a brand and would want to support made in USA. They also offer veterans discount, which is also a big draw for me (FL does too, of course).

SMOKYMTN

WKR
I was there at one point too. I thought "damn, that's a lot for something that won't get much use."

But then I convinced myself that if it didn't get much use, then it should last a lifetime, so it should be a good value. Ha!

Prior to that I was using a cheaper Outdoor Research jacket, but the 2 times I used it I got wet, so I ponied up for 3 layer Gore-Tex.

OP
RM_Bowhunter
I was there at one point too. I thought "damn, that's a lot for something that won't get much use."

But then I convinced myself that if it didn't get much use, then it should last a lifetime, so it should be a good value. Ha!

Prior to that I was using a cheaper Outdoor Research jacket, but the 2 times I used it I got wet, so I ponied up for 3 layer Gore-Tex.
Ha! That's definitely one way to justify it!