KUIU vs Sitka

chukwithak

Lil-Rokslider
Just have to say, I have been wearing SITKA since it first came out. I feel that they have done a great job over the years of making a layer for every occasion. I dont know why the founder left SITKA but have been over to the Dixon store since it's local. I like the KUIU pattern more but I have been very unimpressed with the layer options and high temp wear. The "temp" and "breathability" of their clothing is VERY hard to distinguish. Being a backcountry guy and hiking thousands of feet in elevation, we know we need something breathable and doe snot hold odor, but still durable in the field. This is where the SITKA Ascent jacket is perfect. I tried to find something similar and KUIU offered the Pelaton 240 or Rubicon. This is where it gets confusing. The rep at the store told me that the Pelaton is lighter but warmer and the Rubicon is heavier but more breathable. So I picked up the Rubicon to try on and not only is it heavier, it it noticeably thicker.

Then I can move down to the merino layers which I appreciate. I always have a merino base, but then I loose the field durability. I personally feel like the combination of hooded, 1/4 zips, and layering seems off with KUIU. Am I the only one that feels this way?

Welcome.

I have and run both Sitka and Kuiu. I prefer Sitka overall but kuiu has some great pieces - hip vent pants, attack pants, zip off bottoms - that are among my favorites. I have found their sizing and sometimes their descriptions to be somewhat confounding. That and a bad CS experience has tilted me away from them and I haven’t bought much from them in the last few years.

You are very close - I have used the lightest weight 145?gram first lite base merino layers and leightweight peloton zip/hood in the same instance. I have used their gear on 7 hunts and its not a one stop shop with the brand. I am following this thread. I call kuiu before every purchase and for 10 minutes walk through the application, which has been helpful. Feel free to use this code for your purchase with $50 off. Click the link and they will email you a checkout code. Have a good one,

R_burg

WKR
Am I the only one that feels this way?

Sort of. I dont listen to what any rep says - I buy stuff based off weight, material, my experience, etc. Its all on the websites.

TBH I find the Sitka stuff sort of heavy. Its strange to me their marketing (watch their youtube videos) is about how durable their stuff is compared to other Gore lines - but people are using Arcteryx and other such Gore-related companies in the harshest environments in the world, and still ensuring everything is very lightweight.

Personally, I mix Kuiu and Sitka stuff in Long/Tall with Arcteryx, because Kuiu and Sitka in long/tall fit me best (FL I find to be built for people on the stockier side), but I prefer my Arcteryx gear to Kuiu or Sitka (in general). But some pieces you gotta have camo for. And I mostly use Outdoor Research gloves, they fit me great and are a great value for the performance.

OP - this might not have answered your question directly, but I dont feel like you had a straight away question, I took your post more like you were sharing your frustration, haha... and the above is my personal experience/take on layering. I mix companies and actually still prefer good ol arcteryx where I dont need camo.

Last edited:
Still decided to get political and oppose drilling in ANWR. I won’t buy another piece of Sitka again.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Kuiu is a lot different no doubt, and for hot weather you’re really limited to their Tiburon pieces or 125 weight merino, or peloton 118 stuff. They just don’t have a light weight windshell or brush busting jacket, like you’ve found.

The founder left because Sitka was being sold. That was a long time ago now and Kuiu has changed significantly from where it started. In some ways that’s good because they’ve branched out with their stuff, but it certainly is more big or more “corporate” than what it once was. One thing they are not transparent with is who owns and runs that company now.

They do not use laminates, whereas Sitka is using gore windstopper in a lot of thinner shells, like the mountain jacket, along with a lot more synthetics in insulation. Kuiu stuff always seems to favor breathability and weight over features, although they’ve branched out much more from where they started. Sitka seems to always be marketed as and in my experience more durable, but heavier.

Kuiu is a lot different no doubt, and for hot weather you’re really limited to their Tiburon pieces or 125 weight merino, or peloton 118 stuff. They just don’t have a light weight windshell or brush busting jacket, like you’ve found.

The founder left because Sitka was being sold. That was a long time ago now and Kuiu has changed significantly from where it started. In some ways that’s good because they’ve branched out with their stuff, but it certainly is more big or more “corporate” than what it once was. One thing they are not transparent with is who owns and runs that company now.

They do not use laminates, whereas Sitka is using gore windstopper in a lot of thinner shells, like the mountain jacket, along with a lot more synthetics in insulation. Kuiu stuff always seems to favor breathability and weight over features, although they’ve branched out much more from where they started. Sitka seems to always be marketed as and in my experience more durable, but heavier.

Kuiu uses lots of laminates such as outdry, Dermizax,and HDry. They just aren’t beholden soley to Gore Produces like Stika is, since sitka is owned by Gore.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Kuiu uses lots of laminates such as outdry, Dermizax,and HDry. They just aren’t beholden soley to Gore Produces like Stika is, since sitka is owned by Gore.
Correct. I was referring to mid layers and jackets and windstopper laminates specifically. No doubt they use waterproof breathable membranes in gloves, boots, and shell products.

Correct. I was referring to mid layers and jackets and windstopper laminates specifically. No doubt they use waterproof breathable membranes in gloves, boots, and shell products.

Gotcha, sorry I mid-read. Yea they use textile constructive in stead of a manipulated water proof breathable membrane like wind stopper.

AaronPage

FNG

I’m pretty sure that Jason(the founder of Kuiu) was also the founder of Sitka. I may be wrong though.

Jimss

WKR
I have both SItka and Kuiu. I often mix both depending upon the weather, how active I am, and if I'm backpack vs truck hunting. I'm slowly but surely moving away from Sitka pants. They just don't seem to fit me very well. I really like Kuiu pants. The most breathable, light, and compact pants I have ever worn are the Tiburons. Holy smokes...you hardly know you have them on! They have vents in the pockets that take a little getting used to but vent extremely well. The Tiburons are super cool, dry fast, and are actually pretty rugged for their weight. If the Tiburon shirts are as good as their pants you ought to try them out! A hoody would be even better to protect the back of the neck in hot sun....don't think they make a hoody though?

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I’m pretty sure that Jason(the founder of Kuiu) was also the founder of Sitka. I may be wrong though.

He absolutely was along with the current Sitka head, and the story from one of the original Kuiu webpages is still used on their website today - In the past I had heard him say in a few interviews he got out of it with a noncompete agreement, which was obviously important for starting Kuiu.