Kuiu vs Stone Glacier vs Kifaru down products

Wyowelder

FNG
Can anyone with first hand experience give some feedback on the down pant and jacket from these three? I’m wanting to find the warmest and the most durable. I have tried the Sitka and UA and I think they are way overpriced for the quality you get. I have been leaning towards the Kuiu but I was really impressed after watching the re-warming video stone glacier put out.

Freestone

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve had all 3 jackets and here is my opinion on each

Kuiu- had the ultra and it was not durable at all. It is likely meant to sit idle in and not walk through brush. It was warm enough but it’s tough to think about taking a jacket off every time you walk 100 yards to a new vantage point so you don’t tear it up and look like you just raped a goose. I then got the pro which was much more durable and warm but still would lose feathers. Ended up selling both

Kifaru- was tough as nails and really warm and comfortable. It is not as athletic cut and has a cordura layer on the high wear areas. The two things I didn’t like were the compressibility, and also when I’d sit down the cordura (being more rigid) would push out in the stomach area and just seemed a bit cumbersome.

SG- just recieved the stone glacier pants and jacket so the verdict is still out but I think it will fall in line with the Kuiu Pro as far as fit and durability. I will likely return the pants because I can’t imagine them lasting long if I walk through much brush at all as they don’t seam to have much for reinforcement.

I know I sound hard to please but I’m pretty tough on stuff and I honestly think the kifaru is going to be the best for durability and warmth combined but the drawback is compressibility/weight being that it is synthetic vs down like SG and Kuiu.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trial153

WKR
I’ve had all 3 jackets and here is my opinion on each

Kuiu- had the ultra and it was not durable at all. It is likely meant to sit idle in and not walk through brush. It was warm enough but it’s tough to think about taking a jacket off every time you walk 100 yards to a new vantage point so you don’t tear it up and look like you just raped a goose. I then got the pro which was much more durable and warm but still would lose feathers. Ended up selling both

Kifaru- was tough as nails and really warm and comfortable. It is not as athletic cut and has a cordura layer on the high wear areas. The two things I didn’t like were the compressibility, and also when I’d sit down the cordura (being more rigid) would push out in the stomach area and just seemed a bit cumbersome.

SG- just recieved the stone glacier pants and jacket so the verdict is still out but I think it will fall in line with the Kuiu Pro as far as fit and durability. I will likely return the pants because I can’t imagine them lasting long if I walk through much brush at all as they don’t seam to have much for reinforcement.

I know I sound hard to please but I’m pretty tough on stuff and I honestly think the kifaru is going to be the best for durability and warmth combined but the drawback is compressibility/weight being that it is synthetic vs down like SG and Kuiu.

Raped a goose. I laughed.
Good review.

OP
W

Wyowelder

FNG
Thanks for the feedback. I’m thinking I’m going to go with the kifaru. I like most of the Kuiu gear but all the puffy stuff offered doesn’t look like it will last.

Jpott3

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the feedback. I’m thinking I’m going to go with the kifaru. I like most of the Kuiu gear but all the puffy stuff offered doesn’t look like it will last.

The kifaru is definitely the most durable but the least packable

CougarBlue

Lil-Rokslider
It all depends on your application. You're not going to find a one size fits all solution with puffys.

The down jackets you listed are great for backpacking or when oz count and you're looking for the highest weight to warmth ratio. But they won't hold up to brush busting. You'd probably start sweating hiking with one of them on anyway.

The Kifaru LPP is great but it's heavier, bulkier and synthetic. So the advantages of going with down are going to be different but it's better for different applications.

The Kuiu and SG jackets both have their benefits as well. I'm not a fan of the Kuiu ultra down and would only recommend the pro jacket. You can find other non-hunting brands that make great down jackets at comparable prices too. Feather Friends comes to mind.

Don't count the Chamberlin out from First Lite either. VERY warm jacket. Heavier than the pure down jackets and maybe a touch more durable. Not as packable but I'd be in that sitting a cold windy blind over any of the others on this list and I've tried them all but the SG jacket.

Powell

Lil-Rokslider
I currently have an older Kuiu puffy. I don't think it comes anywhere near the new ones. That said it is still warm but fragile. I went with it sized on the smaller side with the intent of having it on under my coat/jacket. Dig it out of an outer pocket when I stop and throw it on.
I have a Kenai jacket (synthetic) I wear day to day. Shoveling snow or just hanging out and it is very warm. Plus it has pit zips if it get too warm.

topher89

WKR
The Kifaru is the Carhartt jacket of the backcountry.... sure it is warm and tough but do you really want to carry it around?

I wear down when I am sitting and glassing or at camp. If I am moving and going through brush, it is in the pack.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I've had kuiu super down, SD ultra, and SG Grumman. I would go SG all day every day - face fabric is a lot more durable, resistant to tears and pokes, better cut, and warmer. Haven't had the SD pro.

None of the above. Custom GooseFeet Gear is the only way to go IMO, and surprisingly enough, they won't cost much more (if any more), than the foreign made stuff that SG and Kuiu are selling.

Big Ern

WKR
I have the SG. Warm, very light, and comfy. However, it is not durable at all. Already have had 2 small tears repaired from minor movement at my glassing spot.

I will probably try FF next time.

Kotaman

WKR
Curious question...How cold is it that you’re wearing a puffy jacket brush busting? Went for a hike tonight...It was 18 degrees with a light wind. Wore the Sitka Kelvin Active and was sweating like crazy. I can get by with a softshell to darn near zero degrees if I’m “brush busting”. I can’t imagine wearing any of the above mentioned jackets ”brush busting”.

NoWiser

WKR
I agree with Kotaman. I can’t imagine hiking in any down jacket. I have the Montbell Alpine and it’s great. It would rip if I busted brush with it, but I’d be dead from overheating in minutes. A base layer, merino shirt, and soft shell should easily take you below zero if you are hiking and busting brush. The down comes out when you stop moving.

Here’s a few pictures comparing Kuiu puffy pants to custom GooseFeet puffy’s. A picture’s worth a thousand words and as far as I’m concerned, these two pairs of pants aren’t even remotely comparable.
c8461ea1d953f4129f3c932c38a1e69a.jpg

9e95aecdbbfdb800111d04c04b10c29d.jpg

556a611c6f105e956c5af6aba8a1935a.png

bdcb495fb16a53c0eb1e400d2f781006.jpg

a3795b05d8341ae33deeb58eff1e85e6.jpg

I struggle with this same problem and am looking for a pair of pants. For those that have the Grumman/Goosefeet gear and just use it for glassing and take it off if you are walking do you get tears from just glassing? Will sitting on a log or a rock tear it? I’m teetering between the Grumman and the lost park pants and the packability really makes me want to go with down.

Overheard inside the Kuiu outlet last month: Kuiu sales guy ranting to a customer about Pro/Ultra jacket users regularly calling in about repairs or durability issues, and how those items are meant for in camp or glassing ONLY, otherwise they should be inside your pack. Backpacking clothing is either "go" clothing or "stop" clothing, meaning some is active wear and some is not. Kuiu down puffies are NOT intended to be worn while hiking or backpacking. You'd be too hot anyways. They are designed exclusively for sitting and glassing etc.

That's from the Kuiu sales guy's mouth. Same general rule applies to backpacking, you don't wear puffies while hiking because they are too fragile, too warm, and you don't want moisture buildup from sweat inside a non-breathable down puffy.

If you really need a heavy warm layer for moving, go synthetic.