Kuiu warm weather clothing questions

WVELK

FNG
Up front, I will tell you I am a BIG fan of Sitka clothing for September elk hunting. However, I have never been one to refrain from attempting to improve all things in all ways. So I ordered the following from Kuiu:
Peloton shirt, Ultra Tiburon shirt, Merino 125 crew t-shirt, Tiburon pants and Kutana pants.

Here are my initial reactions, and noting all I have done is try them on in my house. The Peloton and Tiburon shirts seem like they would be very hot to wear in warm weather. They didn’t ship the Merino (shipped an extra Peloton in different size). As for the pants, the Tiburon seem to be very nice and I like the side zippers for ventilation. Finally, I really like the Kutana pants best, but I question how much warmer they would be than Tiburons. They are a little heavier, but not by much.

So if you have worn any or all of these, please let me know what you think.

Personally I feel like the Sitka Ascents breathe better than the Tiburons. That’s just me wearing them both in similar conditions. If the Kuiu pant had the same in seam. It probably is a different story. I actually sweat a lot at the bottom of the Kuiu’s in warm weather. I feel it’s because of the longer inseams. Just my experience. Both companies make great clothing. Just fitting it into your niche can be hard. I’d know. I own almost all of both companies pants.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Tiburon pants are really nice but that material doesn’t wick so with the shirt you need something under it. I see the new tiburon shirt is a hybrid with the 118 fabric in panels so maybe that’s an improvement? The 125 merino is too hot for me in sun over 70. I actually liked the peloton 97 over the merino 125 as it breathes better and since it’s 100% synthetic it dries faster. I don’t have any experience with the peloton 118 or any of the newer Sitka to compare.

The new Tiburon Ultra shirt is much better than the previous Tiburon shirt . I wish they would make a SS model and have actually been considering cutting one up.

I have the tiburon pants and tiburon shirt. I live in west Texas and have been wearing them in 80-90 deg temps while packing. The shirt gets a little warm but not bad. I haven’t been wearing a base layer under the shirt and for the most part felt like it kept the moisture wicked off. I also have the merino 125 ss shirt and the first lite shirt that seem identical, I have wore both by themselves in the same conditions and definitely seems hotter than the tiburon shirt or I seem to sweat a lot worst with them on anyways.

I don’t see how you can get too much more cooler and breathable than the tiburon pants (haven’t tried the Sitka pants so not saying they don’t breathe better/cooler). My only issue with the tiburon pants is durability is pretty low but most pants that use a lighter material like that are going to be, so I don’t really hold that against them. I have several small snags but I have kind of abused them because I’ve been hiking in areas with mesquite and cactus, so not the pants fault really.

Overall I like the tiburon pants and shirt for warmer weather 60-80 deg f and I’m not going to say there is not anything comparable or better because these are the only ones that I have tried in this category.

JNDEER

WKR
One of CA deer zones opened this past weekend with 107 degree temps. Tiburons with side zips are a must!

I have specifically compared the older tiburon shirt with a long sleeve 145 hiking/hunting in 100 degree temps.

if there is a breeze the tiburon can perform as good as the wool shirt. If there is no breeze wool is a must.

I like kuiu poly stuff- but not enough to wear in hot weather to hunt in.

Tiburon pants are really nice but that material doesn’t wick so with the shirt you need something under it. I see the new tiburon shirt is a hybrid with the 118 fabric in panels so maybe that’s an improvement? The 125 merino is too hot for me in sun over 70. I actually liked the peloton 97 over the merino 125 as it breathes better and since it’s 100% synthetic it dries faster. I don’t have any experience with the peloton 118 or any of the newer Sitka to compare.
Is the peloton 97 you are talking about a regular short sleeve or long sleeve they are no longer producing? I couldn’t find anything but the peloton 97 fleece on the website.

I am actually looking for a light synthetic base layer to take the place of the merino 125 ss shirt that I have now for warm weather. I was thinking about the peloton 118 or one of the Sitka shirts but haven’t made a decision yet.

One of CA deer zones opened this past weekend with 107 degree temps. Tiburons with side zips are a must!

I have specifically compared the older tiburon shirt with a long sleeve 145 hiking/hunting in 100 degree temps.

if there is a breeze the tiburon can perform as good as the wool shirt. If there is no breeze wool is a must.

I like kuiu poly stuff- but not enough to wear in hot weather to hunt in.

Where I have been using the tiburon stuff there is wind for sure, usually in the +10 mph range. Not sure if I have tried it where there was no wind and hot yet.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Is the peloton 97 you are talking about a regular short sleeve or long sleeve they are no longer producing? I couldn’t find anything but the peloton 97 fleece on the website.

I am actually looking for a light synthetic base layer to take the place of the merino 125 ss shirt that I have now for warm weather. I was thinking about the peloton 118 or one of the Sitka shirts but haven’t made a decision yet.

it’s listed under mid layers. The 118 is probaby better for hot weather. For big temp swings that don’t go above 70 I like the 97.

tiburon pants are the best warm weather pants i have worn, they perform better than my ascents in hot weather. i wear my ascents much more than tiburons, but when it gets hot, the tiburons are my go to. they aren't very tough (obviously) so i only wear them in hot weather, and wear my ascents or obsidians day in, day out.

i don't like the fit of my tiburon shirt, much prefer light merino for tops, but tiburons are great in heat. i found some under armor pants of very similar material i dyed green a few months ago, and think they will be good too... they are also cooler than my ascents, and i have a couple pair.

i'm curious about the kutana pants, but i don't think curious enough to buy them.... i just ordered another pair of obsidians, and between my couple pairs of them, ascents, attacks, tiburon, UA, knarr, and i'm sure a few others, i just don't see the niche. i have the kutana storm shell set, and really like it so far, but i don't think i would love the regular kutana... the description reminds me of the teton pants, which i have and don't care for.

it’s listed under mid layers. The 118 is probaby better for hot weather. For big temp swings that don’t go above 70 I like the 97.

Thanks, I saw that one but didn’t read. I was looking at it and saw fleece and was thinking it was something meant for cool-cold temperatures not for anything near mild temperatures so I skipped over it. Think I’ll probably try out the peloton 118 or

tiburon pants are the best warm weather pants i have worn, they perform better than my ascents in hot weather. i wear my ascents much more than tiburons, but when it gets hot, the tiburons are my go to. they aren't very tough (obviously) so i only wear them in hot weather, and wear my ascents or obsidians day in, day out.

i don't like the fit of my tiburon shirt, much prefer light merino for tops, but tiburons are great in heat. i found some under armor pants of very similar material i dyed green a few months ago, and think they will be good too... they are also cooler than my ascents, and i have a couple pair.

i'm curious about the kutana pants, but i don't think curious enough to buy them.... i just ordered another pair of obsidians, and between my couple pairs of them, ascents, attacks, tiburon, UA, knarr, and i'm sure a few others, i just don't see the niche. i have the kutana storm shell set, and really like it so far, but i don't think i would love the regular kutana... the description reminds me of the teton pants, which i have and don't care for.

I’ve been curious about the kutana pants as well because they are supposed to be much more durable than the tiburons and fairly cool as well. That is my only gripe about the tiburons, they are not very durable but I do use them where they are not really designed for so the durability issue is partly my fault.