KUIU Youth Clothing Review ***Updated 12/12/21***

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
KUIU was kind enough to supply their full youth line for Aubrey to use during a season in Alaska. I’ll be posting which items we’re using for the variety of hunts throughout the year. Stay tuned cause this should be a whole lot of fun

***Update 12/12/21*** KUIU Youth Clothing Review

The initial fit and quality of the clothes is fantastic.

bad52e97848a0da58a4ad26efaa3d6ed.jpg

OP
SLDMTN

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aubrey’s initial impressions from today’s trip looking for bears:
-The Sierra Pants are awesome, they stretch more than my last pair of hunting pants.
-The Enduro LS Crew was great until the wind kicked up and I didn’t have my puffy. (not the shirts fault, we were chasing a bear and got away from our packs)
-The Versa Hooded Jacket is AMAZING. It’s so warm and cozy, like a sleeping bag. (She wears it everywhere, every chance she gets.)

a114e882e048ddb3df8aa998a47ac4b0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
So is it a dedicated line for kids, or is it pieces from their adult line that are sized for kids?

bbckfh

Lil-Rokslider
Really looking for your impressions too...

They look fantastic, especially with their kid-specific designs. Look well thought out.

My only reservation is the cost for something that my four weeds will outgrow in the next fifteen minutes. But if #2’s interest continues to increase like it is, he can always pass it down to 3 & 4.

They look fantastic, especially with their kid-specific designs. Look well thought out.

My only reservation is the cost for something that my four weeds will outgrow in the next fifteen minutes. But if #2’s interest continues to increase like it is, he can always pass it down to 3 & 4.

True but resale should be easy on Rokslide.

Kuiu was kind enough to supply their full youth line for Aubrey to use during a season in Alaska. I’ll be posting which items we’re using for the variety of hunts throughout the year. Stay tuned cause this should be a whole lot of fun

The initial fit and quality of the clothes is fantastic.

bad52e97848a0da58a4ad26efaa3d6ed.jpg
I take my daughter elk, deer, and pronghorn hunting. Some of our best memories are in the field!

OP
SLDMTN

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
So is it a dedicated line for kids, or is it pieces from their adult line that are sized for kids?

Dedicated youth line. Similar to adult materials but cut proportionally correct for kids. I’m very impressed by the fit, nothing is baggy and borderline looks tailored to her.

OP
SLDMTN

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member

I’m glad you brought this up because it’s very important to me. This is in no way directed at anyone in particular, more so just my observations in the field here in Alaska.

Kids hunting in the same clothes they wore to school during the week is a recipe for disaster. We all preach cotton kills, yet there’s kid after kid hunting in cotton every year. How can a kid be expected to love hunting when they’re cold and miserable? I push my girls very hard and I want to equip them with every advantage I can.

The last set of Aubrey’s gear came from the Rokslide Classifieds. After several seasons of hard use it still looks brand new and has been promised to a buddy of mine who has a young boy.

Retail on the pants, two jackets, base layer shirt, beanie is barely over $400 combined. We can get multiple seasons and give multiple kids a positive outdoors experience for that amount. I see it as an investment into my kids and the future of hunting for that matter.

Curious as to your daughter's height and arm length. My son is 58" and his arm length is 28"
Wondering if the large is too small/borderline? I'm looking at the insulated jacket.

Adult XS arm length is 31" He may be in the transition phase where the kid large is too small but the adult XS is too large.

Thanks

OP
SLDMTN

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
Curious as to your daughter's height and arm length. My son is 58" and his arm length is 28"
Wondering if the large is too small/borderline? I'm looking at the insulated jacket.

Adult XS arm length is 31" He may be in the transition phase where the kid large is too small but the adult XS is too large.

Thanks

Aubrey is 60” tall and from spine to fingertip she is 30”. In the jacket, she has room to grow for at least this season and into the next.

This is a size Youth Large jacket.

Hood seam to bottom of coat, 24-1/4”.
1d0208d87d3429c808c1b98ab161615b.jpg

Sleeve end to spine, 30” at this measured angle.
d387f2e326f85385a8067b2b9a549344.jpg

Aubrey is 60” tall and from spine to fingertip she is 30”. In the jacket, she has room to grow for at least this season and into the next.

This is a size Youth Large jacket.

Hood seam to bottom of coat, 24-1/4”.
1d0208d87d3429c808c1b98ab161615b.jpg

Sleeve end to spine, 30” at this measured angle.
d387f2e326f85385a8067b2b9a549344.jpg

Perfect!

I had the pants and jacket in the cart but I was on the fence. Those measurements sealed the deal.

Thank you for taking the time to check. I really appreciate you!

Does anyone have or know of a free shipping code for KUIU. I ordered the jacket and pants for my son. We decided to add the LS shirt. Trying to avoid $8 in shipping if possible. I might call them in the morning to see if they can add the shirt to the order but it might be too late.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
What’s the wind resistance on the versa jacket?

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’d like to get a little more time in it to give you an honest opinion on its wind resistance. So far it seems outstanding for a breathable puffy.

On the site it sounds like it’s the same material as the kenai so I wonder if that material has changed or if kuiu did something different just for the kids version.