Kuiu Yukon Jacket- first impressions

bozeman

WKR
Took advantage of the Kuiu sale and purchased a Kuiu Yukon Jacket size L (i normally am between a M and L in most items so went with L for layering).
1. Seems solidly built, strong seams and high quality material and seam work (in college many moons ago, I worked in a garment plant so seam quality, alignment and pattern are things I take notice of)
2. Outer material seems durable and not as ‘loud’ as I thought it would be. I don’t archery hunt much, with the exception of whitetail deer, but see no issue with noise;, however, string interference may occur (will take some practice time to better understand)
3. Layering ability is there for at least 2 layers, a base and puffy style jacket, with no issues.

Also ordered a pair of the Expedition gloves
1. Very high quality material and seam work
2. They are ‘big’. The medium glove is HUGE, I should be able to get a merino liner or silk liner glove under this with no issue.

Initial impressions are all positive for both purchases. I plan to put them through the ‘shower test’ over this holiday weekend and see how they truly perform with the waterproof and breathable concepts.

Thanks!

BCsteve

WKR
Also ordered a pair of the Expedition gloves
1. Very high quality material and seam work
2. They are ‘big’. The medium glove is HUGE, I should be able to get a merino liner or silk liner glove under this with no issue.

Initial impressions are all positive for both purchases. I plan to put them through the ‘shower test’ over this holiday weekend and see how they truly perform with the waterproof and breathable concepts.

Thanks!
Surprising that they are huge. I have small hands and ordered some medium Yukon Pro gloves which came in yesterday. The mediums fit but i probably should have ordered the large. There’s no room for layering.

OP
bozeman

bozeman

WKR
Ok, shower test complete. Spent approx 12 mins with Yukon jacket over a Sitka Core Lightweight Hoodie and Expedition gloves over silk liner gloves.

Seams held, purposely held hands directly palms up for 3.5 mins to see if underside would soak through. Raised arms for side seams, knelt down to test hood......have to say, impressed. Liner gloves and core hoodie were dry......
Will test it when it rains outside, but first test a pass........

OP
bozeman

bozeman

WKR
So have had a few weeks to put some time in with the Yukon........
1- hiking in the rain and it is Def waterproof
2- breathability is quite decent with this durable hardshell
3- with a 50lbs pack on, very comfortable over both a Sitka lightweight and heavyweight Hoodia
4- very packable

Definitely a 'keeper' and for the 40% off sale price, a very good bsrgain.

Great job Kuiu