Kuiu Yukon or Chugach rain gear set for sheep hunt

ericthered

Lil-Rokslider
I'm getting ready to take advantage of a Kuiu sale and buy my rain gear. My hunt is NWT 12 day August - Sept. Do I go with the Chugach or Yukon. There is probably a thread on this somewhere in here, but I couldn't find it. thanks all.

I own both. I’ve never been on a hunt like that, but my initial thought would be to go light. I would be concerned with overheating in the Yukon. Again no experience on that type of hunt. Just my thoughts.

tdot

WKR
Where in the NWT? Mountain hunt or tundra?

I think it depends on what sort of weather you expect. If you are going to be in Rain/shitty weather for more then 50% of the time, then I would just wear the Yukon pants full time. If you'd prefer to only throw on the rain gear over top of your regular hunting gear, when absolutely necessary, then I would pack the lightest pants available.

The farthest north I've hunted was just South of the North West Territory border, and in late August I wore the Yukon pants full time.

Jacket is easier to take on/off to regulate heat. But if you'll be in it more then 50% of the time, I'd still take the Yukon, if less then that, something lighter. Part of this decision is how hot you operate at and how willing you are to take gear on/off to regulate your body temp.

GPATTI

WKR
I have the Teton and the Yukon. I would DEFINITELY go with the Chugach. I took my Teton. The Yukon is too heavy for a sheep hunt. From a guy who went on sheep hunt in 2017 in NWT. My guide had the Chugach.

I have several sets of Kuiu rain gear and I only wear the Yukon's if I know that there's going to be some serious bush whack. The Chugach gets used most of the time, or if I'm getting dropped off above tree line and know that there won't be any brush to navigate the Teton's have worked just fine,

Haven't hunted sheep but have hunted goats in BC and deer on kpdiak. bought my dad a set of chugach for a Kodiak deer hunt this past year. It keep him plenty warm while hiking. While glassing he just put on his puffy and was good to go. That was end of October. I would go with the chugach. I wear the Sitka cloudburst which seems pretty comparable. Stayed dry all week. No complaint from either of us

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Anyone tried wearing a light base layer and rain paint full time for a sheep hunt? I'm thinking about ditching the attack pants and just going with a peloton 97 and either Yukon or Chugach. Leaning towards Yukon for durability and pockets since I'm thinking about wearing them full time.

That’s pretty much what I’ve been doing the last couple years for all my mountain (sheep & goat), hunts. Plan on wearing my Chugach pants, and if the weather isn’t bad, I wear Kuiu zip off merino bottoms and shorts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tdot

WKR
That’s pretty much what I’ve been doing the last couple years for all my mountain (sheep & goat), hunts. Plan on wearing my Chugach pants, and if the weather isn’t bad, I wear Kuiu zip off merino bottoms and shorts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been using the Yukon pants as my only pant for a few years. But these are primarily in the trees, treeline at the highest. Planning on a goat or sheep hunt this year. Do you think the Chugach are as good as the Yukon as an only pant? Do they breathe/vent better then the Yukon?

I've been using the Yukon pants as my only pant for a few years. But these are primarily in the trees, treeline at the highest. Planning on a goat or sheep hunt this year. Do you think the Chugach are as good as the Yukon as an only pant? Do they breathe/vent better then the Yukon?
I can't really answer that. I do have a set of Yukons as well, but I've actually only worn them once. So far, the Chugach has been plenty durable enough for what I've done, but definitely not as durable as the Yukons.

That's good info. I've had my Yukons for a few years, but my Chugach haven't seen much action. I may save the weight and go with Chugach on my hunt in the Brooks. Thanks for the feedback.

GPATTI

WKR
Agree - Chugach. For sheep in the NWT the Yukon is too much IMO. Been on 2 hunts there.