Kuiu Yukon vs. Kryptek Takur Rain Gear

AI90

FNG
Hello all, I'm a huge fan of this forum and the shear volume of solid information that is passed between members regularly. I have purchased a fair amount of gear based on other members recommendation and have been extremely pleased.

This is my first post here on Rokslide so don't beat me up too bad if this has been covered. I am in the market for my first quality set of rain gear. My current Cabela's Space Rain Gear has served me well but it has reached the end of its serviceable life. I have it narrowed down to either the Kuiu Yukon or the Kryptek Takur rain sets, the reason being is that I have heard great things on both. I am leaning more towards the Kryptek but have not seen a large quantity of great reviews like I have on the Yukon. So my ask is that you pass along any information, either for or against one or both of the sets of rain gear. Thanks in advance.

What’s your intended purpose for the rain gear? More non-mobile sit and glassing, truck type camping/hunting? General location/terrain? Or is the pack in/pack out backpack hunting, lots of elevation gain, weight is an issue type rain gear.

OP
AI90

AI90

FNG
I forgot to add that, thank you. Intended purpose is for upcoming moose and caribou hunts in Canada and a couple backcountry elk hunts in Montana and Wyoming. I would say it is to remain as mobile as possible while raining to make the most of my time while hunting and to have plenty of durability for some brush busting. Weight wont be as big of an issue as water repellency and durability.

OP
AI90

AI90

FNG
Any info on the two rain sets would be helpful.

I own the Yukon and have never seen the Takur. My Yukon performed flawlessly in Alaska and I wouldn't hesitate to purchase it again. Can't give a comparison however.

OP
AI90

AI90

FNG
@LJ Buck : thank you for the info, any first hand experience with the Takir?

OP
AI90

AI90

FNG
@Theringworm : I appreciate the first hand account, glad it works well. It seems the Yukon has more popularity than the Takur.

MtnMuley

WKR
I own em both. The Takur is the better in my opinion. Both are well built and you can't go wrong with either.

Venom One

WKR
Both the Yukon and Takur have great reputations. The one thing I've heard about the Takur is that because it breaths so well, it's not an effective wind breaker. Meaning, if you intend to hunt in cold, windy conditions and you want your rain gear to block the wind and keep your heat in, the Yukon would be a better choice. For mild temps, the Takur might be a better choice.

My experience with the Takur jacket was that the sleeves were grossly long and grossly wide. I had lots of excess material flapping at my forearms/wrists and for that reason I sent it back. However, the Takur hood has the best design IMO. The collar will route out any water that gets in.

OP
AI90

AI90

FNG
I own em both. The Takur is the better in my opinion. Both are well built and you can't go wrong with either.
I guess I am splitting hairs on this one, thanks for the info.

OP
AI90

AI90

FNG
Both the Yukon and Takur have great reputations. The one thing I've heard about the Takur is that because it breaths so well, it's not an effective wind breaker. Meaning, if you intend to hunt in cold, windy conditions and you want your rain gear to block the wind and keep your heat in, the Yukon would be a better choice. For mild temps, the Takur might be a better choice.

My experience with the Takur jacket was that the sleeves were grossly long and grossly wide. I had lots of excess material flapping at my forearms/wrists and for that reason I sent it back. However, the Takur hood has the best design IMO. The collar will route out any water that gets in.
Venom, that is a good tip about wind protection, something I need to think about. Thanks.

Venom One

WKR
Venom, that is a good tip about wind protection, something I need to think about. Thanks.
Here's some pictures of the Takur sleeves. They don't taper much at all down the forearm to the wrist - like a tube sock on your arm. You can see it's an extra inch on the ruler when compared to my other rain jacket, so that's actually 2 inches of added material if you unfold it. Which leaves a lot of excess material just flapping around. I wanted so badly to keep that jacket because I'd convinced myself that it was the best, but the sleeves drove me nuts and I knew I'd never "get used to it".

Attachments

• 20210731_065404.jpg
    20210731_065404.jpg
    216 KB · Views: 55
  • 20210731_065427.jpg
    20210731_065427.jpg
    291 KB · Views: 52
  • 20210731_065954.jpg
    20210731_065954.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 54
OP
AI90

AI90

FNG
Here's some pictures of the Takur sleeves. They don't taper much at all down the forearm to the wrist - like a tube sock on your arm. You can see it's an extra inch on the ruler when compared to my other rain jacket, so that's actually 2 inches of added material if you unfold it. Which leaves a lot of excess material just flapping around. I wanted so badly to keep that jacket because I'd convinced myself that it was the best, but the sleeves drove me nuts and I knew I'd never "get used to it".
I think both companies have a fair return policy, I think it may come down to the fit after hearing reviews from everyone. I may just order both and whichever fits best will be the one I keep as it seems both will serve me well. Thanks for the help and information.

I forgot to add that, thank you. Intended purpose is for upcoming moose and caribou hunts in Canada and a couple backcountry elk hunts in Montana and Wyoming. I would say it is to remain as mobile as possible while raining to make the most of my time while hunting and to have plenty of durability for some brush busting. Weight wont be as big of an issue as water repellency and durability.
yukon hands down, not even close....

i have the takur right now (have had 2 sets of yukon, 2 sets of chugach, and a set of kutana storm shell) and based on the reviews i read before buying it, it's been one of the most disappointing hunting purchases i have ever made. the zippers are a joke... for several reasons, but the zippers alone would keep me from buying it again.... it can't be designed by people who hunt in rain gear.... it started out as an annoyance having to cut off zipper pulls before wearing in the woods so i don't sound like jingle bells, the instrumental version..

the side zips leak pretty bad, the other day my wife and i made an 8 mile loop in some nasty weather, it was gusting 60 and pouring all morning, and my pants got soaked through the side zips... the whole length. it was bad weather, and no raingear will keep you dry and cozy in that, but i spend a lot of days like that in the woods around here, and have a very good baseline comparison.

yesterday afternoon when i got out of the woods, i decided to go grab a few trail cams i had out, it didn't rain much, but i had to go 2 miles and back cross country in big old growth timber, going through wet brush... i'm not sure if it's already pinholed out, or if water is coming through the seams, but they are wet with not very much use.... same problem i had with 2 different sets of sitka raingear. i planned on adding some of the altitude line to my line-up of clothes, but the takur raingear has cured me of that... i'm glad i waited until it was on sale, because i would have been better off in my 2 year old kuiu kutana.

the takur is more the weight of the chugach, but the chugach is leaps better than the takur has been for me. i can never believe another raingear review, because this stuff has good reviews and it's been a waste of money to me. i got my wife their cheap jupiter line of rain gear, and it's been great for the money, and the zipper situation isn't so janky... it won't breath as well, but it's for sure more durable. i expect a set of raingear that's over 800 bucks to be on point, the takur is far from that imo.

i don't think most rain gear is tested in conditions similar to what i put it through.... that's the only explanation i can think of... the oregon, washington, and AK coast are the only meaningful testing grounds to me.... going through blackberries, salmonberry, and devil's club constantly separates the good rain gear from the rest, and lots of rain... not many test rain gear in that environment.... it would be like doing boot reviews in the whitetail woods.

kuiu yukon is the raingear i judge all other raingear by, it's awesome stuff... the kutana is great too, but it's cut for skinny people (which is fine with me) the chugach is great too for lighter gear, but not as tough as the other 2. if you are spending full days in the brush, in rain gear, yukon or kutana is the way to go.... if you keep your rain gear in your pack for confused weather, with the occasional full day, chugach is great, it's not as tough, but handles the brush really well for lighter raingear.

if durability is important to you, and you are busting brush, i would stick with yukon, unless you are a thin build, then the kutana should be added to that conversation, it's lighter, and seemingly as bulletproof as yukon... when i first got it, i got it snagged on a chunk of thin aluminum pipe that was broke off and sharp and knew i tore it... finished what i was doing and couldn't even see where it snagged... it's tough stuff. the wrist cuffs could be better, more like the yukon, but that's the only nit-picking i can do on the kutana... since i will need raingear again already, i will probably get the yukon, because it is a little more quiet, though none of it is silent... when you need raingear, that doesn't matter... i have killed lots of stuff at spitting distance in rain gear, but i have also been laying on the side of the mountain trying to get out of my raingear to finish a stalk when it quit raining

i was excited about the takur, i don't really like kuiu for personal reasons, but they just make the best raingear and gaiters.... i know sitka makes some good rain gear too, but raingear is disposable to me, and i'm not paying another 400-500 bucks for little to no gain in life span

KRoch

FNG
I own the old chugach and my buddy runs the yukon we live and hunt in BC so rain gear is a must. I would suggest the chugach as it doesn’t swish as loud as the Yukon and packs down better. I run hot and actually just run straight rain pants with the top zips open slightly to stop from getting swampy, very comfortable and even if some moisture gets in because it sets out quickly. I’m on my 5th season busting through tag alder and fighting through deadfall no holes or rips and I’m not easy on my gear.

Wrench

WKR
I have a bunch of raingear, yukon not being one of them, and I have been giving it away since the takur showed up in my life. It's the first gear I can hike hard in and have it breathe well enough to not be soaked. It is quieter than anything goretex that I've ever seen.

Weight and bulk can be improved on, but from the fabric perspective....i strongly doubt it.

As a windbreaker, it does well. The goretex does hold heat in better.....but you'll pay the price if you ever do anything with exertion.

Kotaman

WKR
I couldn’t disagree more with Roosiebulls assessment. My experience has been the opposite. I’ve used them both quite extensively. No comparison, the Takur is better in every facet. The Yukon is not a bad set, but it’s heavy, not really packable and will “wet out” and take forever to dry. I’ve tried about every hunting manufacturer’s rain gear on the market and the Takur is the best of the best in the hunting companies rain gear. Maybe Roosie got a lemon…

aussielr

FNG
Interested if anyone has tried the Swazi Tahr Anorak especially in comparison to some of the other high end Sitka, Kuiu or Kryptek gear?

OP
AI90

AI90

FNG
Interested if anyone has tried the Swazi Tahr Anorak especially in comparison to some of the other high end Sitka, Kuiu or Kryptek gear?
I have heard limited information about them but what I have heard has always been positive. I would be curious to hear an in-depth review on one.