KUIU

Diesel

WKR
I gather Kuiu has a somewhat less than stellar reputation with many here at Rokslide. Why is that?

For those that own Kuiu pieces, how is the quality and utility?

Why are there no bibs in their lineup?

Just looking for pieces missing from my hunting clothes lineup and was considering Kuiu.

Kotaman

WKR
I gather Kuiu has a somewhat less than stellar reputation with many here at Rokslide. Why is that?

Why are there no bibs in their lineup?

Just looking for pieces missing from my hunting clothes lineup and was considering Kuiu.

KUIU was founded as an ultra light mountain hunting company. Bibs generally don't fit that mantra. Quality is good, utility is good as long as you are using the clothing for what it was designed for: mountain hunting. I've seen all too often someone wear high exertion clothing to the tree stand and wonder why they froze their a$$ off. Use clothing for what it was designed for and you'll be a happier customer in the end.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
KUIU is excellent gear and clothing and are a sponsor of Rokslide. If you look closely at the negative stuff it is a few people posting frequently about them. If you have any concerns about their gear or clothing give me a call.

Yup love their stuff. Have had nothing but a great experience with them. Kotaman nailed it with the bib question.

BluMtn

WKR
I have some of their cloths and one of their packs. Good stuff, but I have issues with their so called warranty. My pack belt began to come apart and tried to warranty and they refused to warranty it. So I ended up buying what I needed. Like I say, I like their stuff but their warranty is questionable.

Fonkie

Lil-Rokslider
Yup kotaman nailed it. Awesome stuff for its intended purposes. Imo fabrics & designs are superior to Sitka & the likes. Hopefully they continue the R&D for the best fabrics & products available without Jason.

OP
D

Diesel

WKR
I do a lot of different types of hunting. Archery deer and bear from stands, rifle and flintlock deer and bear in organized drives and stalks and also from stands, and late season deer again from stands.

So hunt clothes run the gamut. Need warm and quiet for the stands and brush tolerant and breathable/waterproof when doing drives.

No company does it all. Trying to cover the different scenarios doing double duty pieces as much as possible without breaking the bank.

Kotaman

WKR
I do a lot of different types of hunting. Archery deer and bear from stands, rifle and flintlock deer and bear in organized drives and stalks and also from stands, and late season deer again from stands.

So hunt clothes run the gamut. Need warm and quiet for the stands and brush tolerant and breathable/waterproof when doing drives.

No company does it all. Trying to cover the different scenarios doing double duty pieces as much as possible without breaking the bank.

If you’re predominately hunting from stands in cooler weather, there are a TON of better clothing options than KUIU. You’re asking for two drastically different types of clothing to do one thing. Clothing for tree stand hunting can be done fairly inexpensive. That leaves clothing for doing drives/stalking that will be breathable and waterproof. Another tough scenario as “breathable” and “waterproof” just don’t go together. Stone Glacier is the latest hunting company to the “breathable and waterproof” line of clothing. I plan on testing it this fall. Breathable and truly waterproof doesn’t exist and you can spend a small fortune trying to find it. (Ask me)

I have clothing systems from KUIU, Sitka, Kryptek, Stone Glacier and First Lite to cover every imaginable weather scenario while hunting the mountains. They are all excellent technical clothing companies designed primarily for mountain hunting. (And I don’t think KUIU is superior to any of them in materials or design.). Some of the best “cross over” clothing I own is the Sitka Whitetail line and the First Lite Stand hunting line. This stuff is made for the tree stand but performs pretty decent on moderate exertion hunts as well.) I use it almost exclusively in the tree stand but have used the Sitka EVII on moose hunts, deer hunts and caribou hunts. IMO buying a bunch of “extreme mountain hunting clothing for your uses as you list them is not the best option. But hey, if you want KUIU and you gotta have KUIU, go for it. Just know there are better options for the money.

OP
D

Diesel

WKR
If you’re predominately hunting from stands in cooler weather, there are a TON of better clothing options than KUIU. You’re asking for two drastically different types of clothing to do one thing. Clothing for tree stand hunting can be done fairly inexpensive. That leaves clothing for doing drives/stalking that will be breathable and waterproof. Another tough scenario as “breathable” and “waterproof” just don’t go together. Stone Glacier is the latest hunting company to the “breathable and waterproof” line of clothing. I plan on testing it this fall. Breathable and truly waterproof doesn’t exist and you can spend a small fortune trying to find it. (Ask me)

I have clothing systems from KUIU, Sitka, Kryptek, Stone Glacier and First Lite to cover every imaginable weather scenario while hunting the mountains. They are all excellent technical clothing companies designed primarily for mountain hunting. (And I don’t think KUIU is superior to any of them in materials or design.). Some of the best “cross over” clothing I own is the Sitka Whitetail line and the First Lite Stand hunting line. This stuff is made for the tree stand but performs pretty decent on moderate exertion hunts as well.) I use it almost exclusively in the tree stand but have used the Sitka EVII on moose hunts, deer hunts and caribou hunts. IMO buying a bunch of “extreme mountain hunting clothing for your uses as you list them is not the best option. But hey, if you want KUIU and you gotta have KUIU, go for it. Just know there are better options for the money.

I realize that stand hunting clothes and driving clothes are two different animals. I have the stand clothes almost covered. Driving clothes that are tough enough to bust brush, keep you dry, are relatively quiet, can be layered and "breath" somewhat is the hard part. This is further complicated by sometimes you are posting on the next drive and you are sweated up from the previous drive. If it is windy and cold, well you get the scenario.

I was looking at Kuiu for doing drives. Specifically pants that are durable and keep you dry and could be layered. Kuiu's Kutana pant is nylon so it should hold up in the durable criteria. It is unlined so it could be layered and combined with zip on/off long johns could cover the posting part. I am not sure about the keep you dry part though and that is key.

What are your thoughts on First Lite's Solitude bibs for a driving scenario? Too warm?Durable?

After 50 years of being wet and sweaty and cold using BDU's and Carharts, I was trying to find solutions with the new fabrics.

Kotaman

WKR
I realize that stand hunting clothes and driving clothes are two different animals. I have the stand clothes almost covered. Driving clothes that are tough enough to bust brush, keep you dry, are relatively quiet, can be layered and "breath" somewhat is the hard part. This is further complicated by sometimes you are posting on the next drive and you are sweated up from the previous drive. If it is windy and cold, well you get the scenario.

I was looking at Kuiu for doing drives. Specifically pants that are durable and keep you dry and could be layered. Kuiu's Kutana pant is nylon so it should hold up in the durable criteria. It is unlined so it could be layered and combined with zip on/off long johns could cover the posting part. I am not sure about the keep you dry part though and that is key.

What are your thoughts on First Lite's Solitude bibs for a driving scenario? Too warm?Durable?

After 50 years of being wet and sweaty and cold using BDU's and Carharts, I was trying to find solutions with the new fabrics.

The new fabrics will definitely work for you while your "driving". For me any bibs are too warm while active. I even sweat up wearing insulated bibs if I'm active in sub zero temps. If you're stuck on KUIU, I'd look at the Guide Pants for the late season stuff. If it's really wet, the Hybrid Axis pants would be good as well. The Kutana is pretty light for late season. You'll need a good insulation layer to add while you sit/"stand". The Super Down Ultra is probably the way to go but you won't want to hike in it. If you need an insulated jacket to hike in, the Kenai is a great option. Add some nice wool base layers and you're good to go!

Shoes

FNG
Very satisfied with their Chinook pants, Sierra pants, Chugach NX raingear, gaiters, wool socks and the new Kutana softshell is quite awesome. My son also wears the youth Versa jacket and I have the Kenai ultra vest in the mail.

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
KUIU is excellent gear and clothing and are a sponsor of Rokslide. If you look closely at the negative stuff it is a few people posting frequently about them. If you have any concerns about their gear or clothing give me a call.

^^This is spot on.

Jtb2018

FNG
I have a bunch of Kuiu pieces even their packs and love them. It seems like the different brands of clothing is just a personal preference on fit. I would say I like Sitka’s customer service over Kuiu any day tho

Thorns will get them all! My attack pants are great but they look like a cat got a hold of them. They are going on 6 seasons of hard use though and if in tall wet grass or snow I put gaiters on. Only you can decide. But I will tell you if doing a lot of brush busting I have my Carhartt bibs and go! But that works for me. I see your from PA, a lot of this high end stuff won’t handle the brush you pushing it through. As kotaman said designed for the mountains. But I use my guide jacket and attack pants on a lot of hunts here in Kansas and Missouri. I will buy them again when they wear out.

They are good quality - some of the best technical hunting clothing available. Don’t expect it to be super warm though for stationary hunting. It’s not the stated purpose of their gear.

Only one dig from me. I recall Kuiu gained popularity by marketing that they were made in “North American” in contrast to Sitka, others, early on. Then as their momentum gained they moved everything to China because, paraphrasing here, “it’s too hard to make seam-tape garments in North America and keep costs low.” Since their gear costs nearly as much as Arctyrex these days, I always found that move pretty weak.

And if you want some bibs from them, just wait....just wait. They might be releasing some to the public soon. Waterproof, wind proof insulated. Pricey, but what high end hinting clothing bib isn’t