KUIU

sivart

WKR
IMO Kuiu has the best mountain hunting performance clothing. Staples for my Sept elk hunting are attack pants, peleton baselayer, Yukon gaitors, and peleton 240 jacket, Chuguach Rain set. This set will keep me comfortable all Sept long. Lightweight, drys fast. Plenty of warmth and breathability.

Jdutton24

Lil-Rokslider
The solitude bibs are amazing but they arent made for busting brush. I mean they can but youre gonna sweat your ass off cause it's super warm. Solitude is made for stand hunting. Maybe some super cold mountain hunting. I stand hunt and I love the bibs and jacket if it's super cold. One thing to remember about kuiu is nothing they offer has a safety harness pass through because like others have said they are mountain hunting all they way. First lite and Sitka have the stand hunting market covered in that price range. Both are quality and give different options. I don't see why kuiu would really delve into that market. If I were kuiu I'd keep developing mountain gear as best available. Maybe advertise some peices that could work stand hunting but not devote resources specific for that. Most stand hunters aren't going to sit in one spot in the rain. For hours. They will build a shooting house for that. At least here in The South. The terrain isn't condusive to high exertion hunting here and neither is the game

I have found a good pair of gaiters added to my clothing list to be a game changer. I've paired them with Kuiu Attacks when running the hills, and with my Carhartt's or DTC fire hose pants for busting the real thick stuff. Those side vents on the Kuiu's help out a lot as well when layered up and on the move.

Mudd Foot

WKR
I am very happy with my Kuiu clothes.

Have used Kuiu since 2014, and I prefer their silhouette across all pieces. Sometimes It requiring sizing up. Once that’s figured out, it’s pretty well thought out gear.

Have Chugach NX jacket and pants, Peloton 240, Attacks, And a Kenai Vest. All excellent performance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just picked up the pro merino 200 zip offs. The quality looks pretty good. I’m going to test them out next weekend on a cold rainy day hunt. Only thing is they are only 53% merino the rest is poly and spandex

So far so good for me. Products and service have been great. You can use it for stand hunting if you buy the right pieces and layer. I’m going to pick up something dedicated to stand hunting this year. But my KUIU gear did fine. Works great for early archery and spring turkey too.

Southernhunters

Lil-Rokslider
Adding more and more to my Kuiu arsenal all the time! Really like the gear and it has been flawless thus far! I really like the non bulky fit and the lightweight qualities of the gear, it makes it a pleasure to wear!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Kuiu clothing is well made and great product as noted for the intended purpose...been wearing from the first release 7-8 yrs ago and much is still going strong 👍 looks like a bib pant just released C80ADD2F-E9D1-4728-8ED2-859C1EAF41A8.png

Last edited:
I just picked up the pro merino 200 zip offs. The quality looks pretty good. I’m going to test them out next weekend on a cold rainy day hunt. Only thing is they are only 53% merino the rest is poly and spandex

Have the pro merino 200 shirt and while I like it, I wouldn’t say it is a warm shirt. I will wear as a base under a strongfleece 260 and Jetstream jacket for down to 40’s, and then add a NF thermoball under the jacket for high 20’s. It does great wicking and moving moisture, so that’s a plus. I just feel with that layer under my axis pants I would be cold into the 40’s easily. I much prefer my other zip offs and if it is too warm for those, I just wear the axis pants alone and have attacks for warm weather.

Napperm4

WKR
Kuiu is incredible gear for what it’s intended to be. Ultralight / packable, ultralight mountain gear. A lot of the same fabrics as the big ski companies like Patagonia, Arcteryx etc.

I still prefer firstlite merino over Kuiu however I have some of the Kuiu pro merino in the mail to try out.

The Kuiu can keep you warm stand hunting but it’s an incredibly expensive endeavour.

My upper layer would be a heavy merino base, the strong fleece 260, robust enough for walking through trees etc. I’d pack in the hooded super down pro coat for when I’m sitting. If it’s really cold I’d probably throw on the kenai during the walk.

My lower layer would be mid weight zip off synthetics, kutana hybrids and down pro pants in the pack.

Lastly, Yukon rain gear for brush pushing, extra warmth and to cut wind. (I like the new kutana rain gear better but the Yukon is more robust for brush busting).

Kuiu also just did a limited release for Gold and Platinum insiders for the “Gale Force” jacket and pants. The pants are more of a bib than anything I’ve seen from Kuiu. It’s not dedicated “white tail” gear, but it’s darn close.

Kuiu is great quality stuff but the focus is on active ultralight mountain hunts. You could put together a system for the elements but it’s not going to be super robust.

I’ve had pants/shirts/jackets shredded and wrecked but always from user error. Caught on barbed wire, walking through dense brush wearing the down coats, accidental slide on a scree field etc.

I’m still happy to take that sacrifice on durability for the benefits I get out of the gear however I’m always on the move in the back country or sitting to glass.

Quant

FNG
Kuiu shirts and jackets have 37" arms in the larger sizes and the pants can be let out to almost a 36" inseam. I am pretty tall, so Kuiu is about all that I can wear for technical gear. I like some of the Sitka clothes, but every time I try something on (even tall sizes) it looks like I am wearing my wife's clothes. No complaints about any of my Kuiu gear overall, though.

Benjblt

WKR
I think that was the point, less Merino for better drying times. Is there really some spandex in something Kuiu made?! Gasp!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Rock-o

WKR
I hope their clothes are worth the ~$500 I just paid them. My foray into mountain hunting clothing. Guide jacket, pant, gloves and two Merino base pieces.

bcar

Lil-Rokslider

I think that was the point, less Merino for better drying times. Is there really some spandex in something Kuiu made?! Gasp!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

The merino is next to skin and the poly is the face fabric, and no there is not any spandex in these

The merino is next to skin and the poly is the face fabric, and no there is not any spandex in these
You are correct sir, I read that wrong. It is a mixture of wool, poly, and, nylon. Their gear has much better return to shape due to no spandex.

prm

WKR
I've Found their products to be absolutely top notch in terms of quality. Having a shorter, stockier build their fit isn’t always the best for me.

tdot

WKR
Kuiu has a different business model, I think that is upsetting to some people.

When they first started a bunch of their gear (maybe only samples, test gear?) was sewn in North America (Vancouver). Some people took it as a bait and switch, when it went over seas. I dont see any other hunting company getting flack for being made in asia, but Kuiu does.

They are successful. That really pisses some people off.

Something happened when Jason left Sitka. I only know rumors, but they were fairly wide ranging, some negative.

Those are the only reasons I've ever heard as an excuse to justify the negativity. Personally I think they are a stretch and most are hypocritical. Would be curious if there was something else.

For what it's worth I get pro deals on several major outdoor brands and I often choose Kuiu over them, even for sports outside of hunting. I would wear it more, but sometimes bright coloured gear is a major safety factor and Camo is actually dangerous...ask me how I know.

Poser

WKR
For what it's worth I get pro deals on several major outdoor brands and I often choose Kuiu over them, even for sports outside of hunting. I would wear it more, but sometimes bright coloured gear is a major safety factor and Camo is actually dangerous...ask me how I know.

Yeah, wearing camo patterns for skiing in trees is not so smart. While I don’t put much stock in camo vs. solids for effective hunting, camo patterns can work great for concealing human visibility fri other humans, especially in snow filled dark timber and especially for untrained eyes. You will have a very difficult time keeping track of your buddy sporting KUIU while skiing in trees. I think you could crash into a tree well or get knocked unconscious and people could pass within yards if you without noticing you.

I do like and use a good bit of KUIU clothes, but I must admit, the Bro fan base is hard not to make fun of.