Kuiu's Shipping Costs are BS

KineKilla

WKR
I agree with the rant and I hate paying for shipping. Heck, I even hate paying taxes on online sales.

I see this no differently than airlines charging for bags. They started doing that and used high fuel prices as the reasoning but when prices dropped, they kept on charging. You want a good way to get customers? Lie to them!

Just say everything ships free and charge a couple extra bucks (or whatever) to account for it. That way the customer feels they are getting a good deal and you still get your shipping charges paid for by the consumer.

Poser

WKR
I agree with the rant and I hate paying for shipping. Heck, I even hate paying taxes on online sales.

I see this no differently than airlines charging for bags. They started doing that and used high fuel prices as the reasoning but when prices dropped, they kept on charging. You want a good way to get customers? Lie to them!

Just say everything ships free and charge a couple extra bucks (or whatever) to account for it. That way the customer feels they are getting a good deal and you still get your shipping charges paid for by the consumer.

So you want to pay the same price as you would otherwise, but you want it to be disguised in the price so that the consumer “feels” (not thinks) that they are getting a good deal even though they are actually paying the same price?

What about the consumer who drives 2 hours one way to buy from the KUIU brick and mortar store? Should they pay $149 retail price or the $158 shipping inflated retail price that you pay online?

LandYacht

WKR
Could the difference in shipping cost be attributed to an increase in insurance cost for the more expensive item?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KineKilla

WKR
I don't want to pay their prices at all (but have) I just think it's poor marketing to offer a product but openly charge an extra fee for shipping, baggage, etc. Whatever the case may be.

I think it would be a better marketing system to simply charge a touch more up front and make the consumer "feel" like they are getting a good deal because they aren't knowingly paying for shipping.

I didn't say I like it, I'm just saying that if you don't want to end up being the topic for a forum rant post it may be a better way to go.

As for the guy that wants to drive 2 hours each way to save $10 in shipping, well, you can't fix stupid.

TheViking

WKR
I don't want to pay their prices at all (but have) I just think it's poor marketing to offer a product but openly charge an extra fee for shipping, baggage, etc. Whatever the case may be.

I think it would be a better marketing system to simply charge a touch more up front and make the consumer "feel" like they are getting a good deal because they aren't knowingly paying for shipping.

I didn't say I like it, I'm just saying that if you don't want to end up being the topic for a forum rant post it may be a better way to go.

As for the guy that wants to drive 2 hours each way to save $10 in shipping, well, you can't fix stupid.

Agreed. Something about ‘free shipping’ that I’m always a sucker for. Makes it easier to pull the trigger on something I think I’m getting a ‘deal’ on.

Agreed. Something about ‘free shipping’ that I’m always a sucker for. Makes it easier to pull the trigger on something I think I’m getting a ‘deal’ on.

So people want to "feel" warm and fuzzy paying more upfront but knowing they are just paying an inflated price that covers shipping. What was that about fixing stupid?

KineKilla

WKR
So people want to "feel" warm and fuzzy paying more upfront but knowing they are just paying an inflated price that covers shipping. What was that about fixing stupid?

Hey man, I didn't say it was right I was just stating that it is probably a better marketing strategy than charging exorbitant shipping fees.

With this particular brand and discussion Kuiu only sells direct so there is no "Inflated Price" because they are the sole source provider for their products. There is no other Kuiu retailer to compare the prices to.

The other issue is that to make the change now would make it evident what they are doing but if it had been that way all along, it'd be business as usual.

We all have heard the "Cutomer is always right" BS but what is actually important is that the "Customer must always think they're right"

Bought a bunch of kuiu a few years ago. My experience, both products and CS, has been a mixed bag. The stuff I like, I really liked but there were some duds. I generally think they have some good gear but even then, their sizing was wonky and paying return shipping to get sizing right was one of the things that titled me away from them. Haven’t bought anything of theirs in a while. Generally, Based on my experience shipping packages, it is expensive so $10 to ship isn’t bad IMO but I confess, free shipping is a big motivator for me.

Poser

WKR
Hey man, I didn't say it was right I was just stating that it is probably a better marketing strategy than charging exorbitant shipping fees.

With this particular brand and discussion Kuiu only sells direct so there is no "Inflated Price" because they are the sole source provider for their products. There is no other Kuiu retailer to compare the prices to.

The other issue is that to make the change now would make it evident what they are doing but if it had been that way all along, it'd be business as usual.

We all have heard the "Cutomer is always right" BS but what is actually important is that the "Customer must always think they're right"

To be fair to the situation, premium brands ultimately control the pricing that their retailers offer. They may approve a temporary sale price for their higher volume retailers, but you can’t just put major brand X items on sale for whatever price you want without approval. Some brands never allow a clearance price point of more than 25-30% off unless it is surplus stock sold off to Steep & Cheap or similar. If you are a Sitka dealer for example, your prices are fixed, they’ll tell you when the stuff can go on sale and at what % off.

Axlrod

WKR
So you want to pay the same price as you would otherwise, but you want it to be disguised in the price so that the consumer “feels” (not thinks) that they are getting a good deal even though they are actually paying the same price?

What about the consumer who drives 2 hours one way to buy from the KUIU brick and mortar store? Should they pay $149 retail price or the $158 shipping inflated retail price that you pay online?
This reminds me of a state politician here that once said " we need to diversify our tax base" translation: we need to come up with a different tax so nobody realizes how much they are paying in total!

I got a big chuckle out of this one. Lower 48ers complaining about shipping costs. Really? Try living in AK or HI. We may as well live in a different country with the price we pay for shipping...but we still have to pay federal income tax. I was looking at purchasing a $350 scope from SWFA with free shipping....except AK and HI. To ship a 9.5 oz. scope from TX to AK, they wanted $34. If I’m going to pay $34 for shipping, that scope better be coming straight from the manufacturer in China!

I’ve sold a few items on here and the shipping on those items was sky high. I shipped a factory Tikka stock in a perfectly sized skinny box and the absolute cheapest I could find out of all the carriers was $20.

I agree that my biggest gripe with Kuiu is their sales are laughable. They’ll advertise “up to 40% off!” And I can only find 1 tee shirt that’s 40% off on the whole sale lol 😂 For the record I have a ton of Kuiu stuff and I love it

AK Trout,
You got ripped off! I paid $27 for the bigger and double the weight SS 6MQ scope and it's even farther to ship up here to the Arctic. On top of that, it took the slowest UPS boat possible, when a cheaper USPS Priority tube could have been used and been here in 4 days. The price we pay to live the dream.

AK Trout,
You got ripped off!

Ha, ha, no I didn’t, I bought a Leupold and got free shipping. Made in the US to boot!
f8fba04b5f8785468494cf9c11bc0c9c.mov